Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to give everyone an update on the Cattaraugus Spey Clave. It will be held at the Aldrich St. Bridge in beautiful Gowanda NY. On October 15-16. We will be starting at noon on both days. This will give people a chance to fish in the morning then show up to the clave for some food, spey casting and fishing demos and a look at a bunch of good products.

Three people will give presentations so far,

Juro Mukai – FFF certified spey casting instructor and well-known Monomoy guide.

Rick Kustich – Author, Publisher and Great Lakes fishing expert.

Jad Donaldson – Manager of Aniak River Lodge in Alaska, Oregon guide and Skagit casting expert.

We will have products from CND, Rio, SA, Scott, T&T, Winston, Sage, Watermaster boats and Burkheimer rods.

There will also be a slide show on Spey fishing the west coast by Jad Donaldson Saturday night, and fly tying demos on the stream (weather permitting).

If you are planning on attending please reply to this thread.

Thanks, Charlie

·
Registered
925 Posts
Charlie
Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this year. We'll be in Sun Valley helping a friend celebrate his 80th before heading to Oregon and the N Umpqua. And I really wanted to meet that Kukai guy!
Have a great time.
Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Catt Clave Update!

By way of this reply I am confirming my intention to attend both days of the Catt Clave...also I am hoping that Juro has room to accommodate me for some spey casting instruction. As I am a rank beginner in this spey game, I am looking forward to learning a lot.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Hi Joe,

Sorry I've been camping on an uninhabited island since we last spoke :)

You're on the roster, look for an email reply tonight. Looking forward to meeting you and thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rsvp..

I will be attending, have been Spey casting for about 6 months now (have even caught a few fish on my shortest spey rod!). I will be flying into Buffalo on Friday afternoon, staying at the Econolodge in Blasdell, since the Microtel was full that night.

If anyone is interested in hooking up with an out of towner to fish, or even pass along a few tips on flies to bring for that river/time of year, etc... give me a shout. Not real certain what to expect, but I am looking forward to it!!

Scott

·
Registered
869 Posts
they were VERY aware of the clave and NO ONE was invited except the general public. anyone who has something to offer can come this is the nature of claves. if they would like to contact me or Charlie we would be happy to give them the details and have them aboard. but trust me, Charlie and Juro, they were informed.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Mike Beliveau said:
I will be there,but bill Swarts will not . I was at buffalo outfiters today and they were not invited to Catt clave how come
Hi Mike

Hope that laser loop is still tight.

I've called them about 10 times over the last few weeks, Tom has called back but we've not connected directly. They've been invited from day one (Tom and I spoke at Salmon River) and being a clave everyone's invited and it's free.

Not sure how they got that impression, but as they say on the price is right "COME ON DOWN!"

·
Registered
143 Posts
Agenda for the Catt Clave..?

Does anyone have a general timeframe for what is happening when at the Catt Clave?? So far, all I have heard is that things start at noon on Sat and Sun, have heard something about food, but no cost, etc.

I am specifically wondering about how late things will be going on Sunday afternoon. Have to decide whether I can make the last flight out of BUF that afternoon or if it's a better idea to stay till Monday.

Thanks.

Scott

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scott,

We will be starting at noon on both days. We will have lunch first, dogs –n- burgers and such. At about 12:30 we will have the casting demos, probably about 2 ½ - 3 hours of them. At about 3 or 3:30 we will have product testing, i.e. test this rod with that line, take a float in the watermaster boat and so on. After the testing we usually have a group dinner. On Saturday night there will be a slide show on fishing the west coast. Hope this helps.

Charlie.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To Mike Beliveau

Mike,

Could you tell me whom you spoke to at Buffalo Outfitters? I had talked to Tom, the owner, several weeks ago and he assured me that they would be there with some of the products they carry. I will try to stop by this week and talk to them. This is a free event open to anyone (except chronic bait fisherman :saevilw: ) and I don’t want anyone to feel they have been left out.

Thanks, Charlie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Catt clave

Charlie I was told by JIM that he tried to e mail and nobody returned his email. I know last year they were inclued. I think more the marry

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm in, but won't make it until Saturday night. I have to do some "responsible things" before I leave town again. Is there a predetermined evening gathering place or will everyone be sleeping under the bridge?

I'll be fishing a little on Monday before I head back.

-Chris

·
Registered
869 Posts
Chris, give me a call on friday and we may know by then where the post clave festivities will be held. if we figure it out it will be posted here as well. see you sat night.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Late addition to the Clave!

This just in, Orvis will be coming to the Catt. Spey Clave. They will be bringing some good cigars, :smokin: beer and other giveaways, so come and get them. Should be a fun time!

Charlie.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts