Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Was out the past few days fishing a Caddis/Dropper pupa setup , casting to some feeding fish on a seam, plenty of fish caught but..... I,m using a Redington 15 10/11- 8/9 uncut old style XLT combo, casting Derek Brown style. The seams I,ve been fishing are in the 100- 110 ft range and I can reach there no problem. However, i,m getting a pronounced downstream belly/curve when the flies finally land, it looks like the lower leg of the loop is landing and being caught by the current or wind before the loop finally completley unfurls, creating the downstream belly in the line( about 4/5 ft from rod tip to flies), that I have to correct mend to get a clean drift, before I can mend for the currents.

Two questions-

1- where would you look in the casting stroke to clean this up? Is this an issue of far too open a loop? or too low a delivery at that distance? or..?

2 How do approach you throwing what is essentially an upstream curve/reach cast?

WIll

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a similar wrinkle that shows up now and again. I concentrate on straight line path of the rod tip and keeping my own levers; wrist, elbow, shoulder stay in line. One bad habit I have is to rotate my body back and push the rod around on the forward stroke with my shoulder instead of working the levers in a straight path so I am telling the rod to send a curve cast down the line. I've spent the last year working on just thinking "straight" to correct this. One thought is to let the rod tip come back a bit and not "reach back" causing my upper body to rotate. The only visual trick I have is to line my thumb up on the spine of the rod (Derek Brown) and look at my thumbnail as I make the forward stroke.

I've done intentional curve casts with 50-60 feet of line out the tip. You may have to harken back to single handed techniques to get that done with a longer line. It'll be tough because making an ariel mend that far up the line requires you to make the tip motion early in the cast (later if you want the belly close to you to move). Since the long rod is deflecting and the line is still anchored early in the stroke you'd have to make sure you were dead at 180 degrees with the anchor with it a bit away from you to make sure it's not a collision loop.

There is a section in Falkus' book that goes over ariel mends. That may be of help too.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Here are two items of simple-minded advice:

From my earliest spey casting instruction: "Aim for the skyline." Stop the forward stroke high; count on its momentum to allow the forward loop to straighten out, and count on gravity to deliver the fly, leader, and line to the water.

Secondly, resist the temptation to stand and watch your forward loop unfurl. If you know that you need an immediate mend, make it while the line is still in the air.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi

Ty for the input- Chris your probably dead on with alignment issues- i get sloppy:)

Yep- - on the watching the loop issue- will need to pay attention that-

- methinks if I can so brilliantly( sic) throw a negative/downstream curve I must be able to throw an upstream one at that distance as well with a little work:))

Will

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Check out some of threads that talk about scot style casting that have videos. Does it look like that? It would helpful to know if you're throwing a massive "tank tread" loop or not... If it is, it's not necessarily an "open loop", in fact the apex of your loop can be a pointy little V, but your belly still lays out on the cast.

I'd be curious to know, if you can do it at will, what the same distance cast would look like in a Simon Gawesworth style cast, his most recent style. With a slower rod that full top hand elbow extension and bottom hand pull into the armpit can add some line speed and lift things higher, in my lame experience. Don't rush it, just lengthen everything. When my cast starts drooping I focus on Simon style because I know for a short term quicky fix I can "keep things above the horizon" better due to the fact that the top hand extension feels almost like pointing with my index finger. I can direct things better on the final delivery. Not saying it'll help anybody else, but it's an onstream fix that works for me on those splashdown days :hihi:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts