Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Outerhebrides
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Girls,
I have been at this a bit more than a year and know just enough to be dangerous..... I am looking for a casting instructor to see if I can get over the next hump, as I am sort of "stuck". I am in Portlandia. I have spent some time with Travis Johnson, and consider him an excellent teacher, but I would like to hear some new counsel. Thank you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm in Eugene and the owner of left coast spey and do single hand and two hand rod instruction, feel free to contact me to see if I can help you out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
If there’s a Sandy Spey Clave next year sign up for the Friday class. There’s also Royal Treatments symposium at the end of September at Willamette park. Probably pickup some good tips there too.
Stop by one of your local fly shops, most will have or know of a spey guide to do a one on one.

·
All Tangled Up
677 Posts
It's normal to hit plateaus. It can be very frustrating trying to break through them. While it can definitely be useful to get multiple perspectives, it can also be confusing. Travis is definitely one of the best there is, and has an understanding of speycasting as deep as you are likely to find anywhere, so, if you are stuck, I have to wonder, what are you "stuck" on ? Are your casts awkward, are you lacking consistency, are you looking for more distance, what ?

·
Outerhebrides
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great tips. I was able to get on the water with Eric Leininger, who works out of NW Outfitters here in Portland. He was very helpful. I was having trouble with a very specific cast - the double spey with a scandi and a skater. The techniques that work fine with a skagit and a sink tip and this cast were not working. Eric had several good solutions, and is a good teacher. I will chase Travis down later this fall when things slow down and get his advice as well. Interestingly, I have now taken a lesson from four instructors. All of them were very competent casters and good steelhead fishermen, and all of them had quite different approaches to this. There is probably a best technique, and Travis probably understands this better than most anyone, but you can get there by more than one path..... You are definitely right about plateaus! Thank you again.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
1,546 Posts
Sometimes it's just the interaction between different people that make the difference. I'm sure most good instructors and even experienced caster will all tell you the same thing but will they relay it to you in a way that makes sense to you. Everyone teaches in a different way and everyone learns in a different way. Good luck with your journey.

Dan

·
speydb
31 Posts
I love the input I have received from TJ as it pertains to my 2 handed casting. Unfortunately we only get better with good practice habits, and plenty of it. Catching steelhead, well that requires a river with some fish.

·
Outerhebrides
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Amen to that, and a river with some fish is what we are short on right now!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Greg Bencivenga is among the very best, an extremely good teacher. He often is on the Portland area: Westmoreland Casing pond. You will not be disappointed. If you need his contact info, PM me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts