Spey Pages banner

Typical casting stance while fishing

• Closed (Foot forward of the shoulder you are casting over)

Votes: 110 29.3%
  • Open (Opposite foot forward of the shoulder you are casting over)

Votes: 139 37.1%
  • Just trying not to fall on my face, don't really care

Votes: 99 26.4%
  • Donno, never thought about it

Votes: 27 7.2%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I fish with an open stance because it a bit more steamline in fast current but when casting for fun I use a closed stance. When messing around will long lines/long rods getting ready for speyfair last fall I found the closed stance really helped with controlling a long cast.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Safety first...

My fishing & casting stance is dictated by the wading conditions, rather than a particular convention of casting or non-casting foot forward.

After the step-down, and when you are required to perch on or between slimy boulder(s), in a strong flow, getting the feet safely positioned so you don't slip or are pushed by the current during the cast, mend and swing is more important than any convention of which foot forward.

Mike

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
All things being equal, I use the closed stance (right foot forward). That said things are seldom ideal while in the water! If I were to keep track I think the results over a days fishing would show that I have my feet every which way - just trying the keep the felt-side down!

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've got low expectations...just wanna stay on two legs and fish. These Michigan winters remind me that staying dry is high on the list of gotta-do's. 32.x degree water (F) isn't very forgiving of missteps.

Carl

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Henrik showed me something

By closing the stance a bit one is forced to twist a bit and use the body muscles. WHen working for years on the black belt we were forced to learn the obvious, that body an dleg muscle it much bigger and more powerful than arms alone. Especially with new folks it forces the use of more muscles. I think it is why so many folks cast better off the back side in the beginning. Once you learn to use all the muscles you can stand on your head and still get it done easily

·
Registered
37 Posts
Closed. Casting side foot forward for keeping in plane better on final delivery and walking into the cast.

Right foot forward for Kyokoshinkai breathing excercise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am only starting out with the DH but i use an open stance, left foot forward, right hand on top. I haven't used the closed because i cant see how you would be able to get the same amount of change of direction? Surely the open stance allows the hips to rotate to a larger degree. I also think that the transfer of wt is easier with open. This is also what Simon Gawesworth recommends in his DVD's.
I will try closed next time im out.

Lee.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Don't be confused

The change of direction is not a problem as you begin the cast with the stance in alignment with the target. This causes a bit of twist to the downstream side but during the cast you simply twist into firing position and go. I find it harder to explain to people than to simply get them to do it. WHile you are at it switch your grip to 2 fingers top and bottom and most of your problems will evaporate.

·
Registered
559 Posts
By closing the stance a bit one is forced to twist a bit and use the body muscles. WHen working for years on the black belt we were forced to learn the obvious, that body an dleg muscle it much bigger and more powerful than arms alone. Especially with new folks it forces the use of more muscles. I think it is why so many folks cast better off the back side in the beginning. Once you learn to use all the muscles you can stand on your head and still get it done easily
This is very true Speyman! Same as shooting,golf, and as Ma Baker in Grapes of Wrath, hit from the soles of your feet (through the whole muscle chain of which the rod can be thought of as an extension..

But for myself, I have recently when wading taken to standing on one slipping away foot whilst the other cannot find a grip. The best part is that you may find a small fish or two in your jacket pocket when and if you get out of the water!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
My stance is whatever way I can get each foot a half way stable place in the jumble of rock. Last year I was standing on one foot on tiptoes.Water right to top of waders and no place further downstream for what would have been my lower river foot hold.Had to be that way for as long a cast as I could throw for a little seam in some rocks that I just knew was "the" zone. It was! Went over top of waders getting out of there! So much for the ideal stance!!!Its overrated! Beau

·
Registered
12 Posts
stance

Like everyone, just trying to stay shiny side up especially when the water's going fast. But if I can set up, probably opposite. I can get my body into the cast which gives me a little more distance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
To avoid back pain I always have foot forward of the shoulder I am casting over. The Speycast is much easier to perform right when the twist in your body stops at a natural position related to your casting angle. Placing the leader and linetip correctly on the surface becomes much easier too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.