Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my first double-handed rod last Thursday. Nick at Hunter's Angling in New Boston, NH, took me out the previous weekend for about 3 hours, taught me the basics of spey casting, and let me try about a dozen different rods. I ended up buying a T&T 1309-4, a Loop 8twelve reel, and the 9/10/11 RIO windcutter line with tips.

This weekend I had my first chance to try casting the rod on my own, and overall it went okay. However, I had trouble getting tight loops. Generally, I was casting about 50 feet of line (I seemed to cast best when the green running section of my windcutter line was on the reel, but the entire yellow head section was off the reel). After a little practice I was consistently getting the line to roll out straight in front of me, but my loops were very open and the mid-section of the head generally hit the water first, with the tip section and leader/fly then rolling out straight, but on the water, not in the air. For the most part I was using a right-handed double spey cast (casting from the right bank with a light upstream breeze) and was standing about belly deep in the river (the bank is steep, so I had to wade deep to get even a few feet of clearance behind me).

Any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong and why I was ending up with such open loops? Also, once I get good at this, how much of the line should I have beyond the tip of the rod when I make a long cast and how much line should I be able to shoot?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
Hello Solo. . .

Somewhere on the SPEYPAGES site there is "Hallmarks of a Good Spey Cast" [hope I got it right]. This became my mantra for the first year.

" the rod tip always rises into the forward casting position"

Or something like that. It's been a while since I've needed that mantra. . . now it's "maybe the next pool will hold steelhead"

have fun N I

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
solo,

Give Juro a PM, he lives in Groton and he is always doing get togethers and casting instruction. He is out of town until next week but definitely contact him. There is no substitute for 'hands on" instruction/help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts