Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a new reel. Any critiques of the Cascapedia II would be appreciated.

Peerless has a 4.5" that appears quite nice and functional, too.

Opinions?

·
Registered
869 Posts
the big peerless is a click and pawl design. they are very well made and look great as well and have that classic perfect outgoing sound. they do have an adjustable click tension. they are a little on the light side for their diameter and may need to be weighted for rods over 14'. i am not familiar with the Hardy first hand but it does have a drag system.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
These are only opinions.

Both reels are probably equally functional. Neither of them really speak to me from a classic reel point though.

The Hardy is very nice but it makes little sound compared to the loud Hardy sound that I love. It does have the advantage of a substantial drag. It has some of the attributes one normally associates with a "classic" S-handled reel but to my eye, looks more like a high end modern reel with simply an S-handle.

The Peerless reels are a true click-pawl and have a loyal following. They make a loud sound but the few that I have seen and played with tended to sound tinney to my ears. As stated by BF, they are light for their size. Overall nice reels but there is just something about them that bothers me. I'm not sure if it is the sound or the finish but they just don't stand out to me.

Once again, just my opinions.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
SteelFeathers said:
Considering a new reel. Any critiques of the Cascapedia II would be appreciated.

Peerless has a 4.5" that appears quite nice and functional, too.

Opinions?
Didn't you just get a new reel at Christmas?

I know I know--so many reels; so little time...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dana said:
Didn't you just get a new reel at Christmas?

I know I know--so many reels; so little time...
Could be teasing me, Dana, or have me confused with someone.

I've had a Waterworks ULA 4" and a Marquis Salmon #2 for a couple of years. Use them on two Meiser rods - 136 MKS and Highlander 15 7/8/9, and also a Sage 9140.

Looking to purchase a 16' rod - probably CND, Meiser, Loomis, or Clan. Possibly some other manufacturer from across the pond. (Does the Gordon come in a 16?). I need more testing time.

I want something classic for the rod. The Casp would run about 1200. Not sure what I would pay for a 4.25 Perfect.

Suggestions???

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Not sure what I would pay for a 4.25 Perfect
$600 - $1000 depending on condition assuming all you wanted was a pre-war Duplicated Mark II. Considerably more for a brass faced model, a little less for a post-war model.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Bob I think those were the remakes of the original cascapedias that came out a few years ago. the new ones are a completely new reel. Hardy was not really expecting people to fish them and I guess the gears would blow up. I know our very own Willie Gunn had his blow up and was in part responsible for hardy taking them back and putting in better parts that could handle running fish.

The new ones that came out last year do not have that problem as far as I know.

-sean

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
You mentioned that you're looking to put the reel on a 16 foot rod? The Peerless may be too light. Not sure what the Cascapedia weighs, but at 8 ounces the Peerless will probably be too light to balance the rod.

·
Registered
10 Posts
New Versus Old

I’m totally confused on what the big attraction is to these reels. Sinktip stated they go for $600 - $1000 and Sean’s comments regarding gears blowing up and Hardy wasn’t expecting people to fish them strikes me as a classic example of “Caveat Emptor.”

Someone please enlighten me as to the advantages of buying a heavy, click/pawl, cast aluminum reel with no warranty versus a modern lightweight, fully machined reel from 6126 (or better) grade aluminum with deep-set anodization, having a totally environmentally sealed drag and clutch system, and a lifetime warranty.

I certainly do appreciate steelhead/salmon traditions, but neither to this extent nor in this period when modern rod, reels, and lines by far surpass the antiques of yesteryear.

Richard

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Hmmmm...

I have often heard it said (& written) that those who appreciate these 'classics' really like the buzz and noise of the reel as a fish tries to tear all the line off said reel.

IMHO, it's a bit like those who like the particular noise of the engine/exhaust of a car, whether it be a Ferrari, Masserati, Morgan, or Mustang, as well as the look and 'prestige' of their chosen model.

I can understand the delight when one hooks and lands a nice silver fish, but is the experience really better on a 'classic' click & pawl reel?

Each to their own, I say. If you have the $$$ to afford one of these, why not?

It should be said that the same degree of 'slavering' over classic Spey rods - Greenhart, & built-cane 16-20' monsters - is not so much in evidence :eek:

Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
Consider the Bo Mohlin reel - ww w.fishingwildplaces.com/mohlin/reels-classic.htm But inquire as to his current health and get a guarantee from Erik that if the reel does not ship to you in a reasonable time you get a refund.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I’m totally confused on what the big attraction is to these reels. Sinktip stated they go for $600 - $1000 and Sean’s comments regarding gears blowing up and Hardy wasn’t expecting people to fish them strikes me as a classic example of “Caveat Emptor.”

Someone please enlighten me as to the advantages of buying a heavy, click/pawl, cast aluminum reel with no warranty versus a modern lightweight, fully machined reel from 6126 (or better) grade aluminum with deep-set anodization, having a totally environmentally sealed drag and clutch system, and a lifetime warranty.
There are a few reasons. Steelhead and salmon reels do not need to be space age. Simple click pawls work great and nobody is making them any more in good spey sizes.

A hardy reel is an investment and unlike any modern tackle they will always hold value if not gain value over time. Just like a fine bamboo rod. Still kicking myself over selling mine.

These reels are solid. Amazing that some of these things are almost 100 years old and still singing. Kinda cool to be fishing a piece of history that has outlasted so many other reels over the years.

My comments about the reels that were blowing up was in regards to a different model, not the perfects but the original cascapedias were great reels , just not the remakes.

Nostalgia.These reels feed into that sense of history and connection with the past.

Weight is good for two handers. Some of the new reels out there are just too light for balance.

Now I love my new loops/daniellsons/nautilus reels plenty. Especially now that 99% of my fishing is in saltwater but first order of business when I move back to Seattle is buying perfects :)

-sean

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Richard,

The "gears blowing up" referred only to a very limited production of Cascapedia reproductions. These reels were produced in the last 10 years and were not click and pawl. The Perfects were the model that I quoted prices on and I was referring to reels 50-60 years old and older.

As to "what the big attraction" is, well, it is an acquired taste. To me, they have personality, they hold their value and they are more than equal to the task I ask of them.

I went through the stage where I had to have the latest, greatest and often times most expensive marvels of modern metalurgy. They did the job fine but other than the wow factor, they had little personality and no history. Since I rarely fish salt water, their finish and space age drag was never needed. And once I fished them once, they were worth considerably less than I paid for them. In a few years they were discontinued and replaced with the company's latest and greatest.

My Perfects are like a Timex, they just keep ticking. Sure they are loud, that is also an acquired taste, but give them another 50-80 years of use and they might finally be broken in. ;) If I choose to sell them, I will get at least what I paid for them. If more likely, I give them to my boys, they will inherit something with history and value.

I still have six or seven of those other reels, you know the ones with a drag. I will eventually sell some of them and maybe even replace them with other "latest and greatest" marvels but year after year, my four Perfects will see the majority of the river time. Why, because they deserve it ;)

'tip

·
Registered
234 Posts
to me fishing a disc drag reel for salmonoids is overkill..it's much like fishing a bait caster, set the drag and just reel in.
Why i fish a click/drag reel like the perfect is because it's purely alot more fun.

getting back to the what the thread was about..there are way better reels then the cascapedia mk II. That reel to me does not mean Hardy, just like all thier modern disc drag reels.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Being an owner of both the peerless and the cascapedia heres my thoughts!
The peerless has pretty much performed flawlessly for about 5 years now, only complaint would be handle rubbing on crank plate a little when your reeling like a mad man, added a spacer and fixed the problem. The cascapedia, the new version, has had a nasty habbit of disengaging the clicker at the worst times. It really sucks when you have to take it apart to fix it, lots of little screws. And I might mention that the handle likes to come loose as well nomatter how well I tighten it. So I would say I am not exactly impressed with the new Cascapedia, hopefully hardy will take care of it and I can fish it without worrying about it falling apart. Gut feeling at the time was just buy another perfect and get on with it, always go with your gut feeling when it comes to reels:hihi:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to everyone for the input

Especially those who worked to keep the thread on track. Looks like I'll probably be perusing the adverts for a 4.25 or 4.5 Perfect.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Brian,

Can't help with the clicker getting knocked out of position...if you haven't already done so use blue locktite on the center screw to keep the handle nice and snug. Sounds like you sent it in for warranty repairs. If the problem still exists just lightly coat the screw blue and all will be well.

William

·
Registered
869 Posts
if your peerless handle rubs it can be upgraded to a hevier handle with a spacer by Mr. Corsetti. the new ones have the heavier handle and don't rub when pushed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts