Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came up with an easy way to carry taped spey rods while driving from fishing site to fishing site. I have a pickup and shell and have a typical boat rack on top - I got the insulated soft tubes you put on piping and placed them over the bars - taped in place with duct tape - this protects the rod from hard contact with a steel tube. Got some of the heavy duty velcro straps and you can quickly lash down the rod with two straps and are ready to go - since I started religiously taping my rods (after one broke when I didn't) it is a pain to untape so rod will fit inside the truck bed

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hi Rick! Other than using the short bungie cords (6" with the ball) same system I've been using for a long time on the 'fishing Ford.' What makes this work .. or not work now that I also have a Jeep Liberty .. is a roof line long enough to secure at least 50++% of the rod to the roof.

Below this and you'll get too much 'wip' when passing large trucks. With the Liberty (very short usable roof line)finally had to go with Mag. mounts.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Fred - tried bungies first but the velcro straps are much easier and seem a bit more secure and easier to control the tension. Almost got the Mag mounts until I found out that my hood is fiberglass - glad I figured that out before I bought them. Guess the suction ones hold pretty well but since I already have the racks this is alot cheaper

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
a used ski rack can be cheap, and great for clamping down 2-6 rods at a time, if you are fishing with friends.

·
Registered
8 Posts
there is no easy solution to moving around with a spey rod----the best thing is just take the rod apart in 2 and put in vehicle----i dont tape my rod---even though a lot of people do----however i always check the ferrules every 5 casts and make sure the rod is not loose---i have never had a problem or broken a rod like this, nor has anyone i know----however most rods get broken by trying to make fancy methods in which to transport from one spot to another----just take the rod apart---it will save you a lot if grief in the long run

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Last Christmas, my trophy bride gave me a set of rod towers that carry the big rods and reels on hood to the roof line.

They work great from short hauls to longer ones up and down the rivers and the coast line.

They are the magnet based ones. I would recommend the vacuum towers with the key locks. That way you could leave them on your vehicle while fishing.

To ensure harmony, I cut an old chaomy into two pieces to rest my magnets on top when we use my wife's Lexus. They protect the paint job and make her happy.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have eventually managed to get a picture of my rod carriers on here.
I use the top roof bar with a custom front bar. The advantage is that the big rods do not overhang the back, where lorries, and vans can hit them, or stick out the front where they can swing when cruising on the motorways.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Rod Transportation

I go with BrownDog's line of thought. Speyrods are not a cheap purchase, and I do all that I can to ensure that they stay out of harm's way as much as possible. What I dislike even more is walking into a run and then having a rod fail on me, possibly because some "unknown" thing happened to it while riding around on the outside of some vehicle. "Unknowns" are well evidenced by the numerous cracks on the windshield of my truck. Flying rocks at 50+ mph are at least as damaging to a rod as a wayward cast barbell-eyed fly!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts