Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, one of my former shop co-workers came through and just shipped me a 4" hardy perfect he found at a great price for me. A lot less than a Bougle. The finish is shot, including some "WOOPSIES!" from a screwdriver around the center screw but it is in absolutely perfect mechanical shape and will probably be fished by giant mutant cockroaches after the nuclear holocaust :eyecrazy:

The only problem is that it is bone dry! What's the preferred lube for one of these? Light Machine oil I assume? Surely not grease!

On a side note, I have no idea of the vintage of this thing but it does have the giant brass foot, which just fits my 8/9 Derek Brown Fave, which is going to be my main rod this winter. Still need to try it on the Scott ARC 10 wt. Not even going to bother trying it on the Sages :chuckle:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Lubrication, yes light oil is what I use, grease causes the reel to go very stiff during the winter months. Do you have sewing machine oil, Singer, in the states?

I would guess the age of your reel at post war, the sixties model had a alloy foot, fifties a short brass fot and the forties has a grand brass foot. Has it a line guard? or has it signs of wear where the silk lines have been stripped off. I think it adds a certain style to them.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Line wear!

Yes indeed, there is a definite wearing and polishing where the line was stripped off the reel! No line guard. I'm astonished if this reel is sixty years old! It has clearly seen hard use but it is tight as a drum and absolutely sound! It would be criminal to keep this reel off the water. I won't be a party to that kind of crime :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hardy Perfects

My preference would be a light grease - often sold as reel lube. Oil tends to flow away from the critical parts too easily. I would put grease on the spindle and the center of the spool where it touches the frame, a touch on the ball bearings, the teeth of the gear that enganges the clicker pawl and on the screw mechanism that adjusts the tension. Also a drop or two of oil on the handle shaft. Your Perfect will make a deep purr that will last a long time between lube jobs.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Use grease !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If your feeshin in colder temps(a la G.L.s) try using a light synthetic . BTW nice reels eh ???? Unlike Bogdans and the like ,the tolerances around the race are loose enough that grease fits the bill exactly,and WILL stay in place for a whle season. that beingsaid,NEVER use ANYTHING other that light oil on a Bogdan or any of the sepentine handle reels !!!
Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
For years I've been using Silicote Reel Oil (from ABU-Garcia Inc.; Code No. 65020) and the one-ounce bottle is still half full.
For high-tech synthetic greases and oils, visit your nearest gun shop. These products just keep getting better, and most are rated for arctic temperatures.

·
Registered
96 Posts
PERFECT CARE

I have a case full of these old Perfects. It's a mystery to me why anyone would consider using any other reel. But having so much pedigree (narrow gene pool, profusion of blue blood) they tend to sulk and get pouty if I don't take them out on the water in a strict rotational schedule. So I'm forced to keep them all in tip-top shape.

Here's a creative lubricant for your consideration: take a good quality teflon base lubricant (like they make for bike-chains and bike applications). Mix this into a glob of Vaseline, just enough so it's still gloopy. Smear on cog wheel, spindle, rim of winding plate with an old toothbrush. The result is a reel lubricant that has the staying power (stickiness) of grease but the lubricating power of a fine oil. They'll love you for it (so will your wallet).

Works fine in cold weather or warm. Use the teflon oil straight to get into the handle "wire" (spindle) and handle-cup receiver. A smooth turning handle is part of the royal mystery of these marvelous reels.

Back when I was young and stupid I used to pack a tape recorder in a back-pack whenever I fished. When the line went out against my reel's will I got the tape rolling. I have a collection of screaming Perfects. I catalogued them by decibel. My probelm is I can't get a major label to carry those sounds. I think the public needs to hear this collective roar. They've lost their ability to hear anything else. Can you help?

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have any particularly sulky 4 1/4 inchers which need more attention than you can give, I'd be happy to adopt one :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts