Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using magnetic or vacuum rod holders on their vehicle to carry doublehanders between locations? The idea is attractive, but it could go oh so horribly wrong!

Any recommendations or experiences?

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Do a search of the site for vac-rac, carriers, etc. These should turn up a wealth of knowledge. The short answer is yes and they work quite well.

·
Registered Potamophile
111 Posts
Just stick the rod handle under your windshield wipers.

See it all the time on the Deschutes river road near Maupin. It's good for nearly 30 miles per hour. Same on the Missouri near Craig, MT.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ian
"but it could go so horribly wrong" Yep,It did on the York last June 6th to a couple of friends of mine ! Result 2 beat up Twohanders and two badly damaged Bougles . I just do the New Brunswicker thingy and reel in line till fly snags in tip ,break down rod into two,put fly/tip end near handle and put in trunk with rear seats down. Two seconds and if you don't tape your up and strolling down to the pool .Works with 14 ft rods even in a Honda SIR. You can then rocket up the road and beat the "boys ,with toys hanging on top" . :lildevl:
Cheers

·
Addicted and Avid
583 Posts
Rod Holders

OK. If you're not zooming down the hi-way, then the magnetics work just fine. I bought some from Poppy at the Redshed last year and they work just fine. They're even good in the winter as long as you wipe the frost off where you're gonna put 'em on the vehicle in the cold weather.

·
Registered
420 Posts
another idea

The folding clamp-style Yakima Ski Racks work really well. put rell end to the front and clamp away - the rubber holds tight, but gingerly and the rack will not come off...
better for high speed. if using this method, be careful in VERY bumpy conditions as rods can hit roof.

FWIW, I always break em down and put em inside in my rig...

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
When I had a Grand Cherokee I would always carry my surf/pier spinning rods in a Thule ski rack on top. That truck/thing is long gone, now they hang out the rear end of my F150. Two handers always go inside, too much $$$ wrapped up in them, I know I'd be the one to take a direct hit from a rock or something.

·
Banned
974 Posts
We have a pair of magnetic holders from Poppy at the Red Shed and they work wonderfully. We use them on our Honda Element. We expect to use them for everyting from short, spring creek rods (yes, even cane rods) to spey rods. I have no hesitation driving at highway speeds with them or down dirt and gravel trails. Great stuff. Very highly recommended, I can't see not having them once we tried them.

- David

P.S. - And, no, they have not scratched the paint.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Haven't seen mention of the carrier I bought from Cabela's. I think it was marketed for spinning outfits but works just fine with two-handers. Essentially two component pieces that will carry two rods on top of roof rack (Could be a DIY project out of PVC, but I'm lazy). Slot in aft piece allows securing at the reel (I use Salmon #2 Waterworks 4.0) A bungee/elastic on both pieces holds rods firm. I've used for the past year with no problem.
Suggest you look them up and check them out. Can be hard mounted to rack. I just use heavy nylon zip ties (two fore and two aft). What I like about them is, unlike the suction cup and magnetic models, the rod rides laying flat. I run the roads of the Clearwater in Idaho, up and down the Klick and some in Canada. At 55-65 mph very little movement of the tip of the rod. I usually carry two rods, 14 and 15 footers. Highly recommend (or, as I said, make your own).

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Dave, are these the double mag type?

Dornblaser said:
We have a pair of magnetic holders from Poppy at the Red Shed and they work wonderfully. We use them on our Honda Element. We expect to use them for everyting from short, spring creek rods (yes, even cane rods) to spey rods. I have no hesitation driving at highway speeds with them or down dirt and gravel trails. Great stuff. Very highly recommended, I can't see not having them once we tried them.

- David

P.S. - And, no, they have not scratched the paint.
Ask as I've got the double mag kind (also from Red Shed) and they're the 'cat's meow.' The hood/roof line of my Jeep Liberty provides a very low 'angle of attack' for the wind moving over the hood. Rods track like a tiger with almost zero 'tip wiggle' even at 70MPH. That said, it's the wind off of 'simi-sized' trucks that you want to watch.

Either hold back or scoot ahead as these strong side-ways 'blasts' will wobble the rod tips (15 footers) pretty freely. Not a good thing in my opinion.

Fred

·
Registered
225 Posts
Have been using them for 15 years. Started out with the Orvis magnet one's, then vac-rac suction and now some that I got through Kaufmann's in Bellevue that are made in Oregon by derek fergus I think an they are half the price and every bit as good. The magnet one's always eventually left scratches on my rig. No matter how careful you are eventually it always happened. The suction one are great but if it freezes or rains you just have to wipe the car down before you suction them on and make sure they are solid. I had them come off one time and that was because it was frozen and didn't readjust them when it got warmer and didn't wipe the hood down first. Luckily no damage to the mine or my buddies rods.

JJ

·
Tight line takes
829 Posts
Yakima Rack

I have been using the Yakima ski rack for years without a problem. Very secure for even highway speeds. Ripping up and down the N Umpqua at 60mph between runs.When you are close to the water and in and out alot they are the best I've used. Super easy, no bungy type things to break.Clamp and go.

Mark

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the "vac mounts". As long as they go onto a clean dry surface, and are double checked everytime you move, all is well. I did a top speed of 130kmph from Smithers to Terrace in a storm, and they worked great. I have also had them fall off when not installed properly. Just be carefull. I can literally hang on mine when they are working properly.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
I agree about the convenience of the Yakima ski rack for frequent in/out, and it accomodates up to 8 rods easily, handy for multiple anglers carrying multiple rods. One other advantage, I fish some rivers by access via logging roads. The Yakima rack keeps the roads in a horizontal profile 6" above the truck which makes it easy to gauge potential threats from overhanging branches

·
Registered
465 Posts
Another endorsement for the Yakima ski rack. Quick, easy and it holds both single and two-handed rods securely.

Even if I were given one of the magnetic or suction-mount rod holders, I'd still use the Yakima ski rack.

·
Registered
886 Posts
SSPey said:
I agree about the convenience of the Yakima ski rack for frequent in/out, and it accomodates up to 8 rods easily, handy for multiple anglers carrying multiple rods. One other advantage, I fish some rivers by access via logging roads. The Yakima rack keeps the roads in a horizontal profile 6" above the truck which makes it easy to gauge potential threats from overhanging branches

With a 15 foot rod or above some of the rod must stick out of the ski rack either in front or behind, I have found that this leads to problems.

Protruding in front. When approaching large vehicles the tip can swing quite a distance depending on the speeds.
Protruding from behind pedestrians or other vehicles can catch the rod tip.

How do you overcome these problems?

With the rods angled up there is no, or little tip waggle and the rod does not protrude behind the vehicle. The gillies keep the overhead branches trimmed.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
I keep my rods facing forward, the only rod that ever gave me trouble was that noodley Sage 7136. My 8150 and 15'+ Greased Liners face forwards just fine. Even if I did face them backwards, the roof of my Tundra 4X4 stands 6' tall, add 6" more for the rack, and only giants like myself would stand a remote chance of bumping into them.

I spent yesterday driving 13 miles of logging road (21 km) each way off the main paved road to visit with some steelhead. The fish didn't care which way my rods were facing, only that a fly was in front of theirs. Care to visit Oregon for some tree trimming?

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Cheap fix

All of the above, Vac Racs, Mag Racs, Ski Racks work. Some better than others. If you have an SUV, or even a conventional station wagon, with roof racks there is another option. Bungee cords. The ones with a loop and a ball.

I bungee my rods directly to the roof rack. Not the cross bars. Two rods per side if I need to carry that many. Tips facing forward. Highway speeds, no problem as the rods are parallel to the centerline of the vehicle. That is the key to preventing excess tip wobble. That, and pass the eighteen wheelers quickly.:hihi:

Easily navigates the back woods roads as you can see where the rod tips are. (we don't have the luxury of tree trimming gillies) Warn the gas station attendants so they don't get poked in the eye. (Usually not necessary as they usually notice ("those are some really long fishin poles you got there"):D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts