Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Early or Late June?

Hi Julian,

The Margaree is Nova Scotia's premier Atlantic Salmon River. It has runs of Atlantics and sea-trout starting as early as June, and the water would certainly be large enough for the two-handed rods.

Unless you have fished the river before, I would suggest that you hire a guide for at least a day to get your bearings. The river might be one of the easiest to get around; there is a major road that runs most of the lower section, with well marked pools and paths from the parking areas. The major fishing starts up there in late summer/autumn, so the crowds shouldn't be around.

Also, there is the Cheticamp river which runs through the C.B. Highland National Park. I have never fished it, but there is a local guide who also runs a motel in the area. He is a certified "fish-hawk". If there are fish in either of these rivers, he will know about it, or be able to find out easily through his extensive list of local contacts. His name is Robert Chassion and I think the accomodation he runs is called Parkview, or Parkland. Do a google search on these items for contact information. If you don't have any success, drop me a note & I'll get you two in touch with each other.

All the best,

Chris

·
Registered
165 Posts
Cape Breton

I will second Chis's recomendation of Rob Chaisson. I have fished with him both as a guide and a friend and you wont find anybody who is more "into it".
In fact the last time we fished together prob. 1998 we had him converted to using a spey rod. It has been a few years since I talked to him so I dont know if this info. is up to date but you can give it a try.Robert Chaisson
P.O. Box 117
Cheticamp, Nova Scotia
CANADA B0E 1H0
call: 902-224-3232, or 902-224-1199

Hope this helps, Ramsay

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks, guys, I have sent Robert an email!! Really appreciate your help--we will be in a camping van so will be looking for a scenic spot where my wife can sit and write her book while I fish (it works!!)

I like to tell the story of my catching 2 Atlantics on my first trip to Gaspe last year (both about 3 1/2 inches long!!)-hopefully, I can improve on that this year!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
success

Spoke with Robert's wife today-very helpful-is sending me info about camping and Robert is calling me about guiding! :) For anyone else interested his phone # toll free 1 877 224 3232

Thanks again

·
Registered
869 Posts
undoubtedly the only name you need to know for both rivers. the smaller river will be better in june, the big river is usually better in july. the hotel is the parkview and is third generation at least and right at the entrance to the cbh park. total class act all around. robert will be cringing to see the name of the small river on the net though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts