Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been on here before and I tried to run a search on it but could not find anything. So please humor me and let me know how to get my stuck spey rod apart. Sections 2 and 3 are stuck together. Tried hot water, have the grippy gloves no luck so far. Also tried an ice cube. Tried behind the knees. Only thing I havent tried is a strong youngster without arthrites. Feiger where are you.

I know leave it like it is and buy bigger rig :D but this is not an option. Right now feel pretty dumb.:confused:

·
Registered
941 Posts
A couple of things: Peter's idea of cooling is a good one. Use ice on the male ferrule. But even better is go to the market and get some of the sort of rubberized, perforated shelf liners. Cut a couple of small squares (6" or so). They allow you to grip both sections of the rod like nothing else (you can always have them with you and they won't melt). If you can't do it by yourself that way, try using them with the rod behind your knees, squat down and use your legs to help push your hands apart. If that doesn't work, have another person help you. Each of you puts a hand on either side of the ferrule (four hands).

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Good luck, I hope you are able to get them apart. The grippies are good, try a little gentle torsion (twist) to help get them apart.

This is a good reason to rub a little wax on the ferrules before taping a rod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If the other remedies don't work, use friction tape to make hand sized grips on each side of the ferrule by building up a 6 inch area. You'll use a bunch of tape, but it will probably work.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If nothing else works, try to get the female part as hot as possible without doing harm to the rod and get the male part as cold as possible. Should be able to get the apart then.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
take 4-6 ice cubes,washrag,or towel,lay the towel down,lay half the cie cubes down,rod on top of these,then ,the other half of the cubes on top of the joint,,wrap the towel around,,come back later,works every time

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
un stuck

I was able to unstick it last night by running hot water over it and then packing it in a baggie filled with ice. I had to let it set in the ice bag for about 2 hours. I still had to have my grippy gloves to get it apart.

Grippy gloves: Are the garden glove with the rubber palm. Everyone should have these. About two bucks.

Juro I did use wax and taped the joints also. Guess I wont put my rod together with grippy gloves though. I did yesterday because my arthritis was bothering me.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Skilly

·
Registered
941 Posts
sms is right, cool the male part. That's what I meant in my original post (I've edited it). Gender dyslexia?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hammer said:
take 4-6 ice cubes,washrag,or towel,lay the towel down,lay half the cie cubes down,rod on top of these,then ,the other half of the cubes on top of the joint,,wrap the towel around,,come back later,works every time
Other than using a 'square' of alumium foil to make an 'ice bowl' to keep the ice water on the rod joint ....

Have one Sage rod that loves to pull the stuck fer. trick. The ice (and you'll have to leave it on for several minutes) has worked without fail.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Bob Pauli and I can unstick it.

Pay Bob and I to come up..:hehe:

Put my 200+ pounds on one end and Bob's 200+ pounds on the other end, and we will get it loose. That's close to a quarter of ton of raw muscle, anchored with two pair of size 12 boots and x large hands, we will torque it out.

Bob's T&T Rods stuck together in the 103 degreee heat a couple of weeks ago during Simon's seminar. We torqued them loose.:devil:

My ARC 1409 has the opposite problem, even with taped ferrules it works loose. I never tape any of Meize's rods, and they come loose at the end of the day. Sometimes I have to realign the ferrules.:cool:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
un stuck

I think the real key is.

DONT USE GRIPPY GLOVES TO PUT IT TOGETHER:hehe: :hehe:

Some days those Arther and ritis kids just play hell with my hands. It was that way the other day so I just put the grippy gloves on and put it together. Well I guess I got it tight enough. Sure didnt need the tape I so carefully applied.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts