Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
loco alto!
3,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you own a bamboo spey rod? What kinds / configurations? Have any rod designers updated their tapers to deliver a more modern spey action in cane? I'd be interested for those in the know on this subject to simply free-form share their knowledge. I've always considered that it might be fun to have one for simple enjoyment and occasional use.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I'm with you!

I'd love a nice, well built split cane spey rod. I've watched E Bay for a while but only come across rods in rough shape. There is a maker named Per Brandin who builds a gorgeous cane spey, for only $4300.00 and a couple year wait. :eek:
I,ve spoken with Ron Kusse (formerly of the Leonard rod co.) about this on a couple of occasions and he tells me that he's not aware of many builders doing this. I'd sure like to hear anyone with any experience with these pipe in.

I beleive Sean recently bought an Orvis shooting star??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cane spey rods

From a discussion way back when I recall that someone really liked Shenandoah cane rods. If you do a search on google you'll find this cane rod maker. As you can see he does build a 12 ft. light Spey rod. I've never had a chance to cast a cane rod, single or two-handed.
Tom.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Chet Croco.....The new owner of Bellinger has a good history of cane design as well.

He has been working together with Daryl Whitehead for many years.

Chet was in the shop just before the Holidays, and we talked quite a bit about a couple of tapers for 12'~13' cane rods.

Some cane dry line Greaseliners for medium sized rivers would sure be sweet !!!!!

Meiz

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Yep I have one. A 10 1/2 Pezon et Michelle (kinda the orvis of europe in thier day) that handles an 8wt double taper. Once you remember to slow way down it can be pleasurable to cast on smaller rivers.

However I am still looking for an orvis shooting star with the removable spey grip for the bottom handle. This is a nice stick and you can find them in great condition for decent prices ~400 bucks. Nice thing about the orvis rods is they are impregnated so they are weather proof and orvis still has records of all the rods they made. They still fix them for relatively cheap if you need it. Another nice thing about them is these came standard with larger guides than any of the cane rods being made at that time so there is no problem fitting modern spey lines on them if you go that route. Most modern lines are too thick to get throught he tip top on my rod but you should be throwing double tapers on bamboo anyway so it is not a huge deal. The orvis shoots lines better and has a little faster taper than most bamboos. My favorite spey configuration I have cast so far.

I like the shorter speys in bamboo. Once you get out past 12' they can be really heavy and not as fun for all day use. I am sticking to the switch rod lengths.

-sean

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Hi Sean,

Argutters of the UK really has a nice 106 cane stick in a very crisp recovery.

Search: Bamboo Salmon Rods

A beauty rod, and delivers like a rocket....They do sell blanks as well, and most are impregnated.

Very reasonable as well....Be a fun rod building project.

There is a fella in B.C. that builds a wonderful 12' cane rod...He lives on the Bulkley, but cannot remember his last name Carl....?????

Senior moment I guess....};^)...!!!!

Meiz

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bamboo spey rods

As bamboo rods go, 2-handers are usually not nearly as expensive as shorter trout rods. Eastern makers like Orvis, Leonard, Payne, Thomas made quite a few and they are still available used. Also, there are still plenty of older British rods around. Bob Clay in B.C. on the Kispiox makes more modern bamboo spey rods. They are hollowbuilt, so not as heavy as the old solid rods, which tend to be very heavy and slow. Bob's are lighter and livlier.

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Bob Clay's rods are really nice. I know a guy that has a Bob Clay hollow built rod. Once in a while he let's me hold it and wave it around in front of the shop.

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
Make them...

I make them (not professionally, yet) and REALLY really feel that this is one of those areas where graphite has cane beat so badly that there is little point in going through the enormous effort, cost, and time to make double-handed cane rods when one can purchase for 15% the price a rod that will be a much better fishing tool, more fun, less tiring, etc, etc.

I've been d*cking around with a light (12'6" 6/7wt) and a heavy (13' 8/9wt) design for the last 6-7 months. My prototype of the 6/7 is cool, but immoderately heavy. The 8/9 was simply not to my liking at ALL and is being converted into golf putter shafts.

While hollowbuilding is nice, you're still looking at around 15oz+ for a 12-14' 8-10wt rod that simply is not the casting tool even a low end graphite rod is, IMHO.

I think one runs into some serious problems with stiffness vs weight inherent in the material with cane speys no matter the novel construction methods.

I can throw a few other builders into the fray who you might want to think about...MEGAbucks, though

Bjarne Fries (cane-cane [like tip-over-butt] ferrules and great tapers)
Hans Schlecht (same kind of thing)
Calviello and Trucco Rods (interesting rods, also cane-cane ferrules)
Wayne Macca (most novel cane rods around...his company is beaverhead or somthing like that-- radically hollow rods impregnated with a secret sauce)

I'm a certified bamboo NUT... I build them, I fish them up to 8-9wt single handers so chrome, saltwater fish, etc and have a 12'6" 6wt 2-hander that I use for trout and Erie steelhead--- BUT I really do think that cane spey rods are silly in a way that cane trout/bass/singlehanded steelhead rods are not.

Who was it that looked at spey casting over time as "pounds lifted?" To many pounds for me.

ALL of this said...there is something VERY cool about showing up on the stream with a giant wooden rod. Kind of like driving to work in a classic car. BUT for me, this moment of indulgence would be coolest with a BIG OLD greenheart lashed together with a giant brass reel on the bottom and a Phoenix silk Salmon line in the thing. Tweeds??

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Bob Clay?

Tried a google search for Bob Clay and bamboo rods and found little. Does he have a webpage somewhere?

·
Registered
618 Posts
cane rods

Not sure about the cane rods,but there is going to be some greenheart rods on the market, build to the same spec as the Grant Vibration rods.Going to be tried with the drop rings, and long taper silk line.
Should be good fun. :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Spey Cane

I fish Sharpe's spliced rods in 13 #9, 12 #8, and an 11' #7 with ferrules. I also fish the singlehand sharpes spliced rods in 10' #7, 9' #7 and 9.5' #7.

I also sometimes fish a 13' #8 Bob Clay and it is very nice. It has a faster livelier action and a little more snap than the Sharpe's. With the hollowbuild it feels about like the Sharpe's 12' in the hand. I was able to cast Per Brandin's first 12' Hollowbuilt spey and that too was nice, and very light and lively feeling. From what I heard from Jim Adams, Per and Bob have consulted on tapers. Per started with a Payne in developing his spey tapers. I think they both are moving forward with spliced rods that you tape together - so there is no problem with the twisting action loosening ferrules.

The 13' Sharpe's is pretty heavy, and is the only one of these that is at all that tiring to use. With the others, using two hands makes enough difference over singlehand long bamboo that I find them pretty relaxing to fish. This 13' Sharpe's is I guess what they'd call a parabolic action and uses the weight of the upper half of the rod. It feels to me like you swing the lower half and the upper half follows it, and the line is just along for the ride.
I never use it -it's just outside my limits of comfort while the others feel good.

Speycasting bamboo with generally slower actions, is very relaxing and enjoyable. I don't do much line shooting with them, use either midrange spey lines or standard double tapers.

I can cast further with a singlehand EC Powell bamboo 7/8 wt, or graphite, than with any of these, but it is more relaxing to fish the drift and mend with two hands and the longer rod. For most situations I'd prefer bamboo two-hands over bamboo one hand. I usually end up holding a singlehand rod very high and extended out to mend line and control the drift -and this is what is so tiring, as all speycasters know.

I really like the Sharpe's 10 & 11 foot, though the 10' is a long single handle. They both roll cast very well, as do the shorter Sharpe's.

All of these rods except the Bob Clay cost me less than $250; most of them were around $150, which is cheaper than any graphite I've seen. At that price I don't worry about them. I think bamboo feels much more secure when it's time to "put the wood" to a good fish.

Vinnie in Juneau

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
There is a gent on the Seattle area that makes( 4 years back) a nice cane Spey rod.Trying to remember his name. I'll ask in the cane rodmaking community if anyone is currently making them. They are incredibly hard to make ! #1 your planning form has to be long enough AND able to open up to the rq'd space to plane a rather large piece of bamboo
#2 you have to have a select 2 1/2 in+ culm with a mass of power fibres in it.
#3 the butt section ,as Brooklyn angler has mentioned, HAS to be hollowed out !
There are other issues. One one way of getting the OOOMPH into the butt section and lower 1/2 of the rod is to double build( two layers of power fibres glued under each other !) One way of getting more OOOMPH is to double build with a layer of Graphite between the two layers of cane. When I get my digital camera back on Fri. I'll post an example of this. It's propriatory so I won't go any further rather than to say it's VERY tricky to build :confused:
#4 they take an incredible amount of time to build ( roughly 30 to 60 hrs in planning alone) . 6 to 7 hrs in wrapping (they gotta be double wrapped as do Graphite 2 handers IMHO,) Meiz you agree on this ??
#5 the Ferrules are difficult to find and expensive when you do
I'll finish my saying IMHO cane is REALLY in it's element under 7 ft BAR NONE !!! There areall kinds of tapers available today enabling some remarkable fast rods ! Over 9 ft and they become a tad heavy !
All that being said ,I've built 3 Two handers and currently own two rods .One is a "brand new" never-had-a-line -on-it ,Mint + ,Pezon et Michel circa 1962 ! that I'm thinking of selling :Eyecrazy: :eek:
In closing, nothing will help out your timing problems as a nice cane two hander and if Bob Clay is putting them out for $13k go for it :devil:
Cheers

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bamboo speys

You really have to be a bamboo traditionalist to want to fish a bamboo spey rod. Long rods and especially long and light rods are where graphite has the biggest advantage. The power to weight ratio of bamboo really works against you in spey rods and no amount of wishful thinking will get around it. Yes, you can make them short - in the 12' range - and you can make them hollow, but that just makes them a bit less slow, and a bit less heavy, in my opinion. With graphite, you can make good fast rods, good butt action rods or anything in between. With bamboo, you're pretty much confined to a slower action because of the inherent weight of the material. When it comes to trout rods, I'm a big bamboo fan, but bamboo spey rods are just a bit too impractical for me to play with, though I've tried some of the better ones.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got a couple of Sharpe's Spliced cane 2xhanders (aka speys) -12' and 14'. The 12' in particular is very sweet, the 14' very powerful but s-l-o-wwwwwwwwww and probably not just a rod for men, more like a rod for two men :) I only occasionally use them but it's nice when they get an airing. Stephen J Fawcett in England is a reputable dealer in 2nd hand rods - check out

fawcettsonline.com

best

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bamboo spey

Graphite is great for casting, and it's light weight makes the whole range of modern spey rods possible, but I think it's overrated for fishing. I think it's misled a whole generation of anglers to think that distance is the primary requirement, when fishing carefully close in with stealth catches more fish almost all the time.

I read of so many broken rods ever since graphite came out, and I resent the soaring price hikes that accompanied the necessary lifetime warranties.
I like the ruggedness of bamboo and glass and the feeling of security when you really lean on them. I find my bamboo spey rods all fish better than the one glass spey rod I have. And I find the weight in the bamboo can be a part of the rods action, as in a parabolic rod.
Most of all I like the lack of ferrules (lack of troubles) in the Sharpe's spliced Scotties.

I guess graphite makes more sense in spey rods than singlehand rods, and for big rivers, and I guess I can admit to being a traditionalist. But I do like the modern lines and always use them when the silk gets soaked.
(just kidding- I only rarely use the silk ;).

Vinnie in Juneau

1 - 20 of 20 Posts