Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I had posted this in a different section of the forum, but it only got a handful of views so I decided to move it. Moderators, I apologize if this is out of line.

I just returned home to Colorado from BC this afternoon. I spent about 3 weeks on the water and my 11'6" Bamboo Spey Rod and 3 3/4" reel saw a ton of action.

Both the cane rod and the reel performed flawlessly and landed some great fish. The fish of the trip for me was this beautiful 39" buck.

Mark

·
Registered
997 Posts
You discust me ;)

Right on Mark!

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
Mark can you tell me about your line and rod?

Where were you fishing, great pics! Spey Co reel, correct?

thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
833 Posts
mark
was great meeting you up on the river , sucked it snowed , nice getting that fire going and sipping coffee and bailey's ,

so please tell me now , how did that young whipper snipper do , did you get him into a few fish ,

nice fish pictures , was that fish under the bridge the 1 of the 2 you told me that you casted to when you had someone on top watching your fly swing

·
Registered
997 Posts
J.James.

The reel in the pics on Mark's rod is made entirely by the guy in the pictures.... And loud!... like "wake the dead" loud.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
J.James.

The reel in the pics on Mark's rod is made entirely by the guy in the pictures.... And loud!... like "wake the dead" loud.
no kidding?!

damn nice work Mark!

·
Registered
997 Posts
J.James.

nope. Dead serious.
The man is one seriously fishy guy.... look close in the fourth pic... you can kinda make out his gills...

Builds one hell of a nice Bamboo rod too.

J.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Holy Sh...., thats a combination --- self built rod and reel and those wonderfull steelheads -- and I'm sitting here in my bureau :( looking over a foggy baltic sea. Very nice Mark -- go ahead, Juergen

·
Registered
512 Posts
Looks like a killer trip!! Great photos and great fish!
Mark, any video coming out soon?! would love to see the rod in action! : )
Thanks for sharing! Mark

·
Registered
869 Posts
congratulations on an event very few anglers have done and that is saying something these days. gravy, that giant fish. :eek:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Nice Mark! Rain or shine, you had the best looking rod and reel on the river. What kind of line and weight do you cast with that rod?

Sg

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great trip and pictures thanks for posting and her I am stuck in Calgary.

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,327 Posts
Hi Mark,

If I remember my threads correctly you made both the rod & reel you are fishing with, the fish are beautiful and it does my heart good to see you connect like this.

BRAVO DUDE!

Ard

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks a ton guys, it was a truly moving experience landing the big buck on a rod and reel I built.

Some more details on the rod: It's 11'6" long, 3 piece, hollow built, hex, 7 weight. I fished the rod almost exclusively with an Airflo Skagit Switch 480 head, which is about 20'. This is a pretty similar head to the Rio Skagit Short. On the end I usually had a 15' 8 weight type 6 or type 8 tip. With that set up I was usually fishing ~2" marabou flies, but a few situations called for bigger intruder style flies, sometimes with rather large lead eyes. The rod had no problem getting the nasty stuff out there.

On a few of the days early in the trip when the water temps were still a little warmer I switched it up to a 420 Compact Scandi and rose 2 fish to dries. Only got a hook in one of them, and that lasted just a brief second or two. Would have been awesome to get a fish or two on a dry on the cane spey.

The reel is the very one I detailed the making of, here:

http://speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=37643

We actually did get a little video of the cane rod fighting a few fish, but unfortunately none of casting it. I'm still trying to figure out how to do something with it, but once I get it chopped up a bit, I'll put it up for all to see.

Mark

·
Registered
423 Posts
This post Rocks IMHO

Mark,
You are a inspiration,I have a few questions,Is that beautiful cane spliced ala Riverwatch cane? if so,do you use the clear electrical tape to tape the joints and dpes that tape take off any of the finish or varnish?
I also am wondering when you are making more reels? I'd like mine with a ported face.;)
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

1 - 20 of 24 Posts