Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This recipe is mostly from Francis Francis. Although it should be black pig's wool on the front of the body but I subbed seal instead. The wool should be well picked out (which I did not do so much). It is on sz1 modern hook that Mark Stangeland's friend gave me. It seems the pattern suits the hook well. This would be a superb fly on those desert steelhead rivers during during the noon hours. Francis Francis mentions that he likes to fish it for salar in the evening (but who has time to fish wetflies in the summer evenings:lildevl:)

There are 6 toppings as the recipe calls for (recipe: "5-6 toppings") - I found a bird that had straight-ish toppings and it worked for the look I wanted (no artificial straightening on this wing)

Another fly headed to Fly Fishing Collaborative and available for purchase.

Cheersand Blessings,
Adrian

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
I agree, that hook suits the pattern very well, or is that the other way around?? :hihi:
Just a lovely tie Adrian!! Perfect size for summer time fish in my books.
That hook has some "beef" to it ... should keel nicely.

Mike

·
Registered
516 Posts
Candlestick Maker...

Another great tying job here Adrian.
First hackle looks like a golden olive tinge to it...
Will give this one a go also.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Knee Deep
1,250 Posts
Brother, you are on a roll! So many wonderfully tied flies for a great cause!!! Keep up the great work!

Are your fingers cramping up yet?😉

Take care,

Tony

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Totally in with Mike here. That pattern demands a heavier downturned Eye. The multiple toppings will be pretty electric in the water.

Very dang cool pattern.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree, that hook suits the pattern very well, or is that the other way around?? :hihi:
Just a lovely tie Adrian!! Perfect size for summer time fish in my books.
That hook has some "beef" to it ... should keel nicely.

Mike
Do you recognise the make of the hook, Brother? I wouldn't mind tying on it - I do like the "beefiness" for wets. It also is sticky sharp with an easy barb to pinch.

Another great tying job here Adrian.
First hackle looks like a golden olive tinge to it...
Will give this one a go also.

Thanks,
Tom
You've got that correct, Tom. It is golden olive hackle up the body and then claret at the throat. Thank you.

Brother, you are on a roll! So many wonderfully tied flies for a great cause!!! Keep up the great work!

Are your fingers cramping up yet?��

Take care,

Tony
No kidding. After tying on those wee hooks SLSS gave me for a challenge, I probably need a steroid injection. Cheers, my friend!

Totally in with Mike here. That pattern demands a heavier downturned Eye. The multiple toppings will be pretty electric in the water.

Very dang cool pattern.
It just balances well on that hook. I agree with you, Keith. Cheers!

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Sort of hard to distinguish, but the bend looks more of a Sproat bend than a Limerick, better to see the naked iron to verify.
Which makes me lean towards a Mustad or Allcock for they were known as modifying bends and labeling as "improved" or "modified", basically blending standards.
Definitely a salmon iron though. I wish I knew so I could scoop a bunch ... nothing beats these type heavy irons for wet flies in my opinion.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts