Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very happy to say that I have spoken with the individual and we have found where the problem is. It would appear that PayPal themselves have had some kind of mix up.

This is the first time I have ever encountered a problem with them. I don't know the details and am not the most tech savvy fella, but there you have it.

So thanks everyone for your concern but there is no fox in the hen house!

This person will get the scissors via a different method of payment and all is well.

Thank you and keep supporting the SSBC

Ben

·
Registered
293 Posts
This incident is a prime example of irresponsible interaction . The so called fox here was potentially trashed and pretty aggressively slandered because your tech savvy isn't all it should be.
For future reference the moderators here are extremely pro active and you would be much better served by contacting them instead of running some poor guy thru the mud, even if you didn't disclose the name. The outcry for his name was just as irresponsible . And yes I know it was your pal that did the original post , but in the end he shouldn't have even known about this until it had been firmly established as a scam.

And before everyone comes screaming to his defense , imagine it was you that made the donation.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Good on ya for not ratting out the suspect before everything was settled. Hard to un-ring a bell!!

Does this mean PayPal is an acceptable payment method now?

Jim

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I am very happy to say that I have spoken with the individual and we have found where the problem is. It would appear that PayPal themselves have had some kind of mix up.

This is the first time I have ever encountered a problem with them. I don't know the details and am not the most tech savvy fella, but there you have it.

This person will get the scissors via a different method of payment and all is well.

Ben
Got rid of my paypal months ago do to fraudulent activity in my acct. I ended up having to close my checking acct. and opening up a new one. Ben , I would like to get in on the scissors is a personal check ok? Or postal money order?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This incident is a prime example of irresponsible interaction . The so called fox here was potentially trashed and pretty aggressively slandered because your tech savvy isn't all it should be.
For future reference the moderators here are extremely pro active and you would be much better served by contacting them instead of running some poor guy thru the mud, even if you didn't disclose the name. The outcry for his name was just as irresponsible . And yes I know it was your pal that did the original post , but in the end he shouldn't have even known about this until it had been firmly established as a scam.

And before everyone comes screaming to his defense , imagine it was you that made the donation.

I would be very reluctant to interact with any charity that responded with this level of immaturity regardless of the worthiness of it's cause .

Well Jake I m sorry you feel that way. This is the first time I have organized anything like this.

I made a point not to say anything but felt I had to chime in because I m committed to seeing this threw.

I made a point of not naming any names for this reason. It has nothing to do with my tech savvy, all I know is it's not on me or the other person, its on PayPal.

Its unfortunate that the post was started, but i completely understand why it was started. To protect its members.

So Jake, its a misunderstanding. If you want to make me the bad guy you are more then welcome to do that.

happy new year, hope you get lots of time on the water…

Ben (an unpaid volunteer)

·
Banned
690 Posts

I would be very reluctant to interact with any charity that responded with this level of immaturity regardless of the worthiness of it's cause .
It seems Brood pursued the diligence required...
I'm paying by cheque as he requested...
Any assistance with a noble cause...

And your response is out of line and merely fans the dying flames...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

Some people and causes don't need your money Jake....
Think brood dude was very restrained as he didn't make the original post and only stepped in to clarify a few things...

Ben the only thing you should remember is "the road to hell is paved with good intentions" and THAT my friend is fact..

·
Administrator
2,496 Posts
Ben (an unpaid volunteer)
nuff said...keep up the good work!

Reminds me of the one and only time I "volunteered" to ref one of my kids little guy football games. Coach screaming in one ear and a parent in the other...turned to them and said "I'm the volunteer Dad for the day, you're more than welcome to have the vest and whistle". They both shut up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Ben
Excellent news, Ben!

I was hoping for a good outcome to this mix up, because reading the "beware" conversation yesterday was upsetting to me. Fishing is supposed to be the gentle sport, and our way to get away from the stresses in this crazy world, and I think this forum has kept on that path very well. I was so surprised to read the veiled threats and profanity from that other member, and at such an early point in the investigation. Maybe the stress of the Christmas season got to him, like it can easily do to anyone. In any case, I thank the mods for deleting that conversation, so we can all move on into the fresh, new year.

Ben, I'll send you an order for those scissors now. Thanks for volunteering in support of wild steelhead!

·
Registered
80 Posts

Point made there Jake.

First of all don't be thrashing Ben, as I am the one that made it be known. So....the so call "pal" is me. Do I know Ben or you personally.....no, but I do know ONE THING....we all share the passion in this sport(for some...a sense of solitude for which others' have defended so you can enjoy the sport).

As I recall there was no name of the actual member here being disclose. As of "tech savvy" I'm sorry I'm not at your level....but pretty much don't want to be there either. As Ben is a fellow member here and had an issue as a result of his act of kindness and wanted to support his charity that he and others believe in. I was trying warn others as I have been in his shoes and I'm pretty sure others....and "fish" out this person (or who I was referring to as Blue Falcon); again there was no name or User ID disclosed.

I'm glad others and the Moderators stepped up and assisted in this situation. It shows that we are "fishing brother" and look out for each other. And kudos to Ben.

As for you, Jake, I hope you have a great New Year and may the fish gods bless your rod. If you took offense or appalled by this situation......I'll be gladly to send you a half dozen flies for my troubles that I have caused you.

Suck it up and drive on
-Josh

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
With Soccer, 'foot ball in England,' you'd best expect it.

nuff said...keep up the good work!

Reminds me of the one and only time I "volunteered" to ref one of my kids little guy football games. Coach screaming in one ear and a parent in the other...turned to them and said "I'm the volunteer Dad for the day, you're more than welcome to have the vest and whistle". They both shut up pretty quickly.
Reff'ed for 35 years and you learn to shut it out. 17 "Laws" govern footie and you didn't write them you just have to know when to react, or not react, on the Pitch. Youth Soccer Mom's are the worst!

In training Youth Ref's were instructed to keep there mouth shut as they officiated. Up to a point, probably good advise. Some of my fav games were youth Tournie's where a lot of Officials were teenagers. All of these games would have a Sr. Official assigned as a linesman, now called an Asst. Referee. Amazing what an adult, and I use that word loosely rolling my eyes, would say to a teenage ref. Each team had 80-90 minutes to win/loose and it was rare a 'call' had any impact on the final out come. Remember two, the teams on the field were doing fine as was the young ref, where I had to step in and eject (twice) a Coach or a 'Parent.'

Interesting to look back over thousands of games from holding a 7 year old who'd taken a hell of a tumble to a full scale riot in the side lines. First had twisted his ankle, that bleeding hurts! They can shed a gallon of tears.

The second the teams (Sonoma County, CA) were having a good match and hardly ever blew my whistle (this you like!). Some 'fan' tossed a full beer can and hit one of the players in the back of the head ... he was off like a shot. To the two teams: GO GET HIM AND DRAG HIM BACK HERE! I suspect every Police Officer in 10 miles was on that field in side of 10 minutes.

Two teams, including the Coach's/Sub's, sat calmly in the center circle as I stood over them. When it came to reffing Hispanic teams I was often assigned to 'This could be interesting.' Player's soon learned not one messed with me, I was very quick with my "Yellow Card."

Obviously questioned by CHP and told the fellow 'These guys have been mellow as Church Mice on the field.' Obviously had to tell him what started it, "But if I had been hit in the back my head with a full beer can I probably would have reacted the same.' He laughed, turns out he was also on a team that I'd reffed on several occasions.

Quite resumed, several arrests, and we continued the Match.

Edit: I probably should say I did accept a very cold can of Bud after the game. GOD that tasted good; wife types made 'Mexican Food' and that was even better.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good news

That's why I don't use pay-pal you can't trust them, to many moving parts.
I guess I'll put the rope away for this time, glad and hope this all works out for you.
Saving Wild Steelhead is the most important thing anyone can do. Cheers Dave

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
PayPal can be like a bad auto repair.

That's why I don't use pay-pal you can't trust them, to many moving parts.
I guess I'll put the rope away for this time, glad and hope this all works out for you.
Saving Wild Steelhead is the most important thing anyone can do. Cheers Dave
Charged too much and the repair was questionable; are you going back?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.