Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rumour has it that an impromptu "Spey Summit" might be taking shape in Vancouver...

Scott Baker-McGarva (Angler's West--Forum/Speypages sponsor), Steve Choate (GLoomis), Tyler Kushnir (CND--sponsor), Andy Murray (Hardy), Steve Rajeff (GLoomis) and Rick Whorwood (GLoomis) along with the Speypages Guy (me :D) will all be hanging about at the Fly Show in Richmond BC this weekend...

There's already scheming going on about how to rearrange the slip n' slide so that we can cast a little...:whoa:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Maybe we should hold the Summit Reception here?

Attachments

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
It's a con-spey-racy!

Sounds like quite a shootout at the OK corral. I hope you fare well with the modifications, the pools at the three shows I've attended over the last 4 weeks have been hideous at best.

If I had my druthers, I'd just ask them to extend the pool and wear some rubber boots to step out a few feet :p

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hopefully after this show Chris and Gary Bird will feel inspired to set aside some more casting space at shows to come for two handed casting. The Vancouver show has one 70' long 4' wide casting 'pond'(a bit of a challenge for you long belly types) and one 70' long 4' wide dry casting area. I hope that some people will take the time to let these fellows know that we deserve some space for people to test our wares. Sound familiar Juro? There will be some Spey demos at the show- myself at 3:30 on Friday and 2:30 on Saturday and I believe Andy Murray at 5:30 on Friday, 1:30 on Saturday and 1:30 on Sunday as well. This is the first year for this show and I hope that people take the time to come and support it. With a good turnout I think the organizers would look to secure a larger venue(more casting space) for show in future years.
Brian Niska

·
just say no to bait
115 Posts
It is my understanding that Andy Murray will be on the Island after the show. Perhaps y,all should catch the boat and we could do the first Island Clave, at Haig Brown's house on the Campbell. Or wherever.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Canadian Spey Summit in Vancouver

"Please stop by and say Hi"

Chris Seipio, Steve Choate, Steve Rajeff, and myself will be working the G.Loomis booth in Vancouver, short of Steve Choate the rest of us will be in Calgary also, maybe I can kid-nap Steve and take him to Calgary. We all look forward to meeting many of you in person. I'll do my part and whine about the casting lane being to small for two-handers. Dana please keep us informed if you're planning a get together at the show, it's a great idea.
On another subject, Neil, Peter and I will be planning the Eastern Spey Clave, when I return from the west. We are looking at Oct 2-3 as the date. We're hoping to cover all aspects of two-hand casting. Over-head, Distance, Traditional, and Under-hand etc.
With your support it should be bigger and better then last years.
Thanks
Rick Whorwood

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey Kush,

Where did you get that image! LOL! I think it's a bit out of the way, but it is definitely an available meeting place. Although it's a bit small, it is warm, clean and as I recall still well stocked with Scotch, Crown, and possibly even cold beer in the refer! I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone in Vancouver and would really enjoy getting involved with a spey clave to benefit the Thompson, or Steelhead Society of BC. You can practice spey casting anywhere, but there are few places in the world left like BC to actually fish a spey cast! Look forward to seeing everyone!

steve

·
Registered
96 Posts
Andy Murrray will be doing a nite, Feb.2 at the Parksville community center on van,isle. He will be working with the Mid Island Fly Fishers. On Feb.3, Andy will be doing casting on the Englishman river starting at 8.00am and going until 10.00am. Any one on Vancouver Island that wants to go should contact the fly club for more info.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
There is a lot of "spey-power" in this photo taken at the Vancouver Flyfishing Show. Dana Sturn (Loop - as well as our SpeyPages guy) at the far left, Tyler Kushnir (CND) with the rod, Andy Murray (Hardy) with the white shirt and Way Yin (Scott/SA) next to him. In spite of a lack of a suitable "spey-pool" the hard-cores managed to make a few casts anyway!

I really enjoyed seeing the new tackle and all the guys. I can't wait for the up-coming Kaufaman's Clave - so I can see the guys again but also will be able to cast all the cool rods! See you all there. :smokin:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Here is Andy Murray observing Way's overhead technique. It would have been alot more fun with a proper pool!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
And in Trouble

If a big chinook had grabbed the fly, Dr. Way would have been in trouble - all wraped up even, given where the shooting line is draped.

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
There is nothing like standing on your line, while attempting a "hero" cast when 238 people are standing around watching you. I am glad I am not the only one! THANKS WAY!!!:hehe:

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ha :D I had a few myself! There were no hero casts there - even a "semi-hero" shot would hit 1/2 way up the bubble's wall.

Actually we were taking advantage of Andy Murray's tutelage as he is one of the smoothest casters around. Neither Way or I do a lot of overheading with the double-hander - so it was something to learn - very cool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Dana,

I just found this line of posts.... a reply is better late than never I guess :).

We are looking forward to bringing the fly fishing show back to Cloverdale in February of 05. I think it would be safe to say that we will be doing something about the Spey demo pond at the show. I hope all is well and I will follow up with you to chat about this years show.

Cheers!!

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts