Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an idea of heading East for a trip this coming summer. Is there a book out there that effectively captures the history of Atlantic Salmon fishing in Canada? Feel like there has got to be given the enormous impact they've had on Eastern Canadian culture

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Margaree Handbook

Great reference for Cape Breton Area

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
A definitive book on the history you're looking for, in one volume, might be hard to find. I can't think of one, and I surely have a lot of atlantic salmon books. Having said that, several books have chapters relating to what you're looking for. The books by George Frederick Clarke will give you a flavor of days gone by, and the books by Bates (either the Colonel or his daughter, Pam) also will give you some insights. There are a lot of "how-to" books on the subject (not many very good), but few concerning the history, in one volume. Hope you find something, and if you do, let us know!
Gary

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but few concerning the history, in one volume. Hope you find something, and if you do, let us know!
Will do. Seems like a fairly glaring omission. Read a bit about the royalty and barons fishing the Restigouche, which got me interested. Finishing up the last semester of my history degree at the moment, might have to collect the history and write it myself! haha

·
Registered
117 Posts
A Little Thing ITied Myself: Stories of Atlantic Canadian Fly Tiers
by Don MacLean (Author)
While this book is about fly tyers it does give you some insight into fishing culture in the maritimes

River Journal: Miramichi
Author: Paul Marriner

Bush Pilot Angler
by Lee Wulff
This book is exclusivly about Newfoundland in the 1940's. It will give you a good idea as to what the rivers are physically like there on the West Coast of the province.

Atlantic salmon: Fact & fantasy
by Gary J Anderson

The Atlantic Salmon Handbook: An Atlantic Salmon Federation Book
by Peter Bodo
The book primarily describes salmon fishing in what the author calls "salmon country" (i.e. the Gaspe). However, he also provides a good overview on all of the maritime provinces

River of Dreams about Fly-Fishing and Conservation of Atlantic Salmon in Newfoundland and Labrador (1700-1949)
by Don Hustins
A history lesson indeed! More about the management of the rivers of Newfoundland during that time period and less of angling.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Got an idea of heading East for a trip this coming summer. Is there a book out there that effectively captures the history of Atlantic Salmon fishing in Canada? Feel like there has got to be given the enormous impact they've had on Eastern Canadian culture
https://www.gooselane.com/books.php?ean=9780864922939

I'm not good with this site yet, but the web address above is for a book called the Lost Land of Moses which refers to a Perley Moses who was New Brunswick's first fisheries executive. It is a terrific book and addresses what you are looking for at least in a historical sense.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I would recommend the excellent "Life and Sport on Quebec's Northshore "by Napoleon Comeau . Monsieur Comeau was a guide on a few Salmon rivers in the late 1800's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts