Spey Pages banner

Canada.. BC.. Is their chance it opens up by 1st Oct

3K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Irideus 
#1 ·
Wondering what are the chance BC being opened up by 1st Oct for all who have had both their Covid Jabs.?
I would be coming from Scotland UK,
Something Iv been watching like a hawk , makes you just realise how special chasing Steelys is, and my fishing menu just don't seam correct with the continued omission to this majestic fish.
Fingers Crossed.

#2 · (Edited)
Just talked to my cousin in BC on Friday. He can’t even travel to Alberta unless it is deemed “essential.”

Heck, travel within BC, from one of the three “regions” to another is banned unless “essential.”

Granted, there is a moderately wide range of essential reasons but all the same, Wow.

All I really know is that I want to drive to BC and hop the ferry to Vancouver Island to go see my 97-year old uncle (and buy him a beer or two) and my 84-year old aunt (my dad’s last surviving sibling), just as I have for all my adult life…..and I can’t. I’m shot up with vaccine and pose no health risk to anyone, including my aunt and uncle.

Sigh….

so I am betting on the answer to your question being no. Will defer to our Canadian Spey Pages brethren, however.

#6 ·
Things here are getting better by the day, Ontario, has less than500 cases today.
If I were a betting man I would say yes! As far as the fishery, this will be a pivotal year, if it turns out to be yet another disastrous return, it could very well be the beginning of the end.
Many of my friends won't be returning this year unless there are good reports.
Let's hope things get better!

#7 ·
It may well prove difficult or impossible to get travel/ health insurance (as in normal times) due to Covid, should there be an unexpected lockdown or change in circumstances ticket may well be non refundable. In any case, even if I were fully vaccinated, I would not be keen to sit cheek by jowl with others on a long haul flight.. for at least another year.

#20 ·
I am planning a European trip this fall rather than to the west coast.entry to most European countries requires proof of 2 vaccines, and covid insurance, in cases of getting the virus while in Europe.covid coverage is easily obtainable , and as far as sitting beside people on a long flight, I won't worry as all travellers will have to be fully vaccinated to be allowed on European flights.

#9 · (Edited)
Since an early May, Canada Chief Medical Officer Dr. Tam stated to relaxed rules Canada needs 75% of adults/eligible having people 1st shot and 25% 2nd, which translates to 67/20% of a total population. Let's remember that that 0-12 years old are not eligible and there are a solid 15% of ani-waxxers.

Based on the current official vaccines delivery and vaccination rate Canada will reach this goal no later than Canada Day or very early July. By the end of July easily 60% of Canadians will be fully vaccinated. In part b/c a solid half of Pfizer vaccine ( 2-2.4 millions a week) starting an early May has been coming from Pfizer plant in Michigan.

A few weeks ago US-Canada started an opening talks and there have been few reports that US will open unilaterally on June 22 nd.

Everybody is taking about opening border only for FULLY Vaccinated people. By early July or mid latest all provinces will be ( except big sport events) practically opened, with full intra and inter-provinces travel.

Clearly fully vaccinated outsiders pose zero danger for fully and partially vaccinated Canadians............

The pressure is coming from PM J.Trudeau's own members , US , tourist industry etc. Europe is opening for fully vaccinated US tourists on July 1st.
Canada Gov. advisory panel stated recently that fully vaccinated people should NOT quarantine !!!!!

Looks line everything is pointing toward an opening by early August or earlier and if that won't happen it is because PM J.Trudeau plays politics ( opposite way to US 45 president) to convince his citizens that he is saving them from FULLY vaccinated travelers........

Canada vaccination rate at the bottom of the page :

canada coronavirus tracker

Canada has about 32-33 millions people 12+ years old.

With the current confirmed delivery ( not counting Moderna late June and July, and confirmed Pfizer shipment in August) and the real possibility of an extra shipments from Moderna US plant, Canada should vaccinated everybody who wants vaccine easily by mid-august. Not included in the above data is an extra 8 millions shipment in August from Pfizer announced last week:

#18 ·
Since an early May, Canada Chief Medical Officer Dr. Tam stated to relaxed rules Canada needs 75% of adults/eligible having people 1st shot and 25% 2nd, which translates to 67/20% of a total population. Let's remember that that 0-12 years old are not eligible and there are a solid 15% of ani-waxxers.
Yes, and there lies the root of the problem! If only more people would wax! I forget where I read it (online of course), but apparently waxing has been shown to be 87% more effective than the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, and nearly 300% more effective than ibuprofen! Tell your friends and family to step up on their waxing, experts are suggesting at least twice a day, or after any suspected contact with anyone unwaxed, obviously.

#10 ·
I wouldn't bet a non refundable plane ticket. The basic info I'm getting from my own Gov (if you look hard enough) is that once 75% of the population has had their second shot, borders will open up. Will that be by Oct 1st?.....Can say. But as I mentioned, I would not make bets on it.
PM J.Trudeau clearly stated 75% 1st shot and 25% end so most provinces PM, like J. Horgan. Not 75% fully. Canada Chief Medical Officer: 75% of adults with 1st shoot and 25 with 2nd shot to open the border.

Based on PM of provinces, like BC they are looking to 75% adults, no all Canadians .

0-11 years old are not eligible any time soon and 15% + antivaxxers won't take vaccine. So 75% total is unrealistic goal !!!!, unless someone wants to play politics......

Even Israel which was ahead of everybody can not reach 65% total.

One possibility is that PM J.Trudeau wants to avoid an early election and will keep pandemic "alive" for pure political reasons......: Travel for partially and fully vaccinated Canadians is OK, but fully vaccinated travelers ( using the same vaccine) south of the border and/or from Europe are "clear and present danger. "...........Really ???

#19 ·
I wouldn't bet a non refundable plane ticket. The basic info I'm getting from my own Gov (if you look hard enough) is that once 75% of the population has had their second shot, borders will open up. Will that be by Oct 1st?.....Can say. But as I mentioned, I would not make bets on it.
PM J.Trudeau clearly stated 75% 1st shot and 25% end so most provinces PM, like J. Horgan. Not 75% fully. Canada Chief Medical Officer: 75% of adults with 1st shoot and 25 with 2nd shot to open the border.

Based on PM of provinces, like BC they are looking to 75% adults, no all Canadians .

0-11 years old are not eligible any time soon and 15% + antivaxxers won't take vaccine. So 75% total is unrealistic goal !!!!, unless someone wants to play politics......

Even Israel which was ahead of everybody can not reach 65% total.

One possibility is that PM J.Trudeau wants to avoid an early election and will keep pandemic "alive" for pure political reasons......: Travel for partially and fully vaccinated Canadians is OK, but fully vaccinated travelers ( using the same vaccine) south of the border and/or from Europe are "clear and present danger. "...........Really ???
JT is a proven scumbag, cheat and pretty much an on-par politician. So I wouldn't put anything past him.

#17 · (Edited)
Great point. Not being Canadian, I'm not sure of any of the details. Here's what appeared in one of my local papers:

"HOULTON, Maine — The government of New Brunswick said Friday that its 'Path to Green' program would see enough of its residents vaccinated to allow the international border with Maine to open on July 1.

New Brunswick’s plan to reopen calls for allowing travelers from the Canadian provinces of Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador on June 7 without need for quarantine or a negative COVID-19 test. Cross-border truckers will also no longer be required to isolate upon arrival.

On July 1, travelers from Maine who have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine will be allowed into New Brunswick with no isolation required. Those with no vaccine traveling from Maine will be allowed to enter and must go through a five-seven-day quarantine period, followed by a COVID-19 test, which must be negative in order to leave isolation.

International travel from all other states than Maine into New Brunswick will still have to follow a 14-day quarantine period upon entry on July 1. All travel restrictions will end by Aug. 2, according to the Path to Green plan.

The move was welcomed by U.S. Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, who has been advocating for the immediate opening of the border since March..."

I did a bit more digging, and the Government of NB website does say that opening to Maine travellers is "pending Federal requirements." The Bangor Daily News chose to leave that little detail out, apparently. Got me all excited :) .

#13 ·
I have my fake Pfizer vaccine card ready!

I’m kidding of course. I’ve been vaccinated (2nd Pfizer shot on January 8), but I keep wondering how many people will forge a card when the border opens. Here we are in the 21st Century, and the only evidence I have of my vaccine is a paper card with random numbers and illegible initials written next to the 2 dates I received the shots. Would be very easy to get a copy of the card and make up some information.

Hopefully forgery will be a rare event in this situation, but one would think people will try it and get away with it.

#27 ·
Based on the article in CBC possible 2 documents may be required.

In most US states, after inoculation a pharmacy or healthcare provider sends info to state health dep. For example, only I can retrieve my record from State website in from of pdf file , which includes all my credentials, vaccine name , date and State Logo. Unless I give this file to someone else it will be very difficult to forge it . I also got two recipes ( each two pages) from pharmacy for each Moderna shot with all my and pharmacy info.

I have on my iPhone ArriveCAN app. One suggestion was that travelers will have also to upload all relevant docs to the app.

A rare attempts to forge CDC card may not work so well, if each state health dep. sends the data to US State Dep. , Canada Border Officer will be able to see vaccination record when looking at passport......
Forging documents is a Federal Offense, and some people may be surprise when they will be turn in to US Border Patrol.....

BTW, most of anglers who come to BC are from PNW and many do not believe in vaccinations. I suspect number of anglers from US will be smaller Tham average.

#14 ·
Are Canadians seeing the same pressure on their fisheries with and without covid? In california I think I am seeing more californians fishing local because more are "work from home" and with stuff shut down they are not traveling to your country or Montana so fishing local. For a time fishing gear was sold out and slim pickings in SoCal. I wonder if this lack of travel means local guide industry is going to be hurt or if locals in great places like BC are really having a good time without us tourists harassing their fish?

#16 ·
"Canadian officials are looking at a multi-phase approach to reopening the border that would begin with allowing fully vaccinated travelers to enter starting this summer."

"An official aware of the Canada-U.S. talks, who asked to remain anonymous, said he doubts a June reopening is likely and suggested July would be a likelier starting date for the first phase."

Canada eyeing multi-stage approach to reopening the border to travellers

BTW, CBC is Crown organization.............so they must have a good inside into the matter

#21 · (Edited)
My previous comments were taken from a CBC radio interview with a travel 'expert' from a couple of weeks ago, when asked when will we all be able to travel again- pros and cons. My personal view is that there is still some risk even with 2 shots -with the AZ jab there is 80% efficacy, or so, by way of example. The UK (where my family is) is currently showing evidence of the Delta variant cropping up, which is 40% more contagious, that after much enviable opening. There is again talk (yesterday) of another 'lockdown' over there, meaning (unlike Ontario) they are not 'asked' to stay home, it can be police enforced, as it was in France where my sister lives. Regarding Covid travel insurance, this may be of interest: Coronavirus travel insurance: who will cover me? – Which? News

#22 ·
My previous comments were taken from a CBC radio interview with a travel 'expert' from a couple of weeks ago, when asked when will we all be able to travel again- pros and cons. My personal view is that there is still some risk even with 2 shots -with the AZ jab there is 80% efficacy, or so by way of example. The UK (where my family is) is currently showing evidence of the Delta variant cropping up, which is 40% more contagious, that after much enviable opening. There is again talk (yesterday) of another 'lockdown' over there, meaning (unlike Ontario) they are not 'asked' to stay home, it can be police enforced, as it was in France where my sister lives.
Let's assume you are correct, that there is still some risk even if fully vaccinated. Then lets assume the entire population is vaccinated. It seems that leaves only two choices for a person--accept that there is some risk and live your life, or stay locked down forever. I personally feel that there is risk out there every day from a variety of things, and if risk can be minimized, then you just have to accept it. What is the alternative?

#26 ·
I know how bad some want to get back here. I can assure you the tourism industry misses you too. Please take extra care of the fish, they're not doing so great.

If runs are shaping up to be poor again (the "forecast" should be in by late August), maybe reconsider. We all know how many times they're getting re-captured. I know steelhead fishing is some of the best medicine out there. It's likely to be the busiest year on record with how many people are clawing at the opportunity to get back. Might not be the best thing for the declining run sizes. B&B's, hotels, and lodges are going to be in high demand, and the special places lose their appeal when it's busy.

Just trying to add some self-awareness to it. We all love them. Something to keep in mind.

#28 ·
I imagine on top of the worry about possibly getting in , when you have both vacs, in Oct.
Most important for me certainly will be the strength of the run. If it piss poor like last 2 years, then I give the fish a rest. Obviously we have ****ed up some major habitat inland, or out in sea. One thing for sure the run size will be determined by the amount of damage our stinking footprint has done to the environment.
Wouldn't it be Wonderfull for once to here of some goodness we are doing to help an environmental destruction, being reversed after our damage, and now is on the mend, instead of cover ups and lies.

#29 ·
I didn't read every post, but people who wear waders into ice cold rivers in the winter have already made made a strong statement about risk tolerance. Someone on here may be an "ankle wader" who can cast as far as they would like to be able to fish or content with fishing closer in, but I imagine the majority frequently try to make up for their lack of distance by just wading a bit deeper.

My understanding from our Canadian employee rumor mill is that the Can/US negotiations are likely to open the border to people who have had a full vaccination regime by late June/early July. Said employees are trying to put a trip to Nova Scotia on my calendar. That trip will lead to a separate post asking, "Where would one go to fish for Atlantic Salmon in Nova Scotia or Newfoundland? and can I get the name of a good guide?" When it happens...

#31 ·
"and the commercial harvest"

Regrading commercial fishing. In the last 9 years there were only 4 years with commercial fishing due to poor Sockeye return with less then half gill net boat participating in each opening then in 2000-2009 decade . Also 2018 boat participation was extremely low, due to a small size of Sockeye and lack of interest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.