Spey Pages banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
My previous comments were taken from a CBC radio interview with a travel 'expert' from a couple of weeks ago, when asked when will we all be able to travel again- pros and cons. My personal view is that there is still some risk even with 2 shots -with the AZ jab there is 80% efficacy, or so, by way of example. The UK (where my family is) is currently showing evidence of the Delta variant cropping up, which is 40% more contagious, that after much enviable opening. There is again talk (yesterday) of another 'lockdown' over there, meaning (unlike Ontario) they are not 'asked' to stay home, it can be police enforced, as it was in France where my sister lives. Regarding Covid travel insurance, this may be of interest: Coronavirus travel insurance: who will cover me? – Which? News

·
Registered
715 Posts
My previous comments were taken from a CBC radio interview with a travel 'expert' from a couple of weeks ago, when asked when will we all be able to travel again- pros and cons. My personal view is that there is still some risk even with 2 shots -with the AZ jab there is 80% efficacy, or so by way of example. The UK (where my family is) is currently showing evidence of the Delta variant cropping up, which is 40% more contagious, that after much enviable opening. There is again talk (yesterday) of another 'lockdown' over there, meaning (unlike Ontario) they are not 'asked' to stay home, it can be police enforced, as it was in France where my sister lives.
Let's assume you are correct, that there is still some risk even if fully vaccinated. Then lets assume the entire population is vaccinated. It seems that leaves only two choices for a person--accept that there is some risk and live your life, or stay locked down forever. I personally feel that there is risk out there every day from a variety of things, and if risk can be minimized, then you just have to accept it. What is the alternative?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Let's assume you are correct, that there is still some risk even if fully vaccinated. Then lets assume the entire population is vaccinated. It seems that leaves only two choices for a person--accept that there is some risk and live your life, or stay locked down forever. I personally feel that there is risk out there every day from a variety of things, and if risk can be minimized, then you just have to accept it. What is the alternative?
I have lived my whole life with pretty much that exact sentiment, and I am definitely coming back to that point since getting vaccinated. I think the thing that was/is different with this pandemic was the unknown factor. Most of us are pretty willing to accept certain calculated risks, and pretty unwilling to take those same kinds of chances when and where we don’t really know what our actual chances are. Our knowledge and understanding of COVID 19 risks continues to evolve. I suspect it will also be a bit of an evolving process rediscovering what feels like reasonable risk again. The level of political polarization, and the ongoing mixed messages about COVID are dragging things out too.

Sadly it is still a dynamic and evolving situation. I am pretty hopeful though that our chances of a more normal summer and fall are way better than they were just 6 months ago (or even 3 months ago).

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know how bad some want to get back here. I can assure you the tourism industry misses you too. Please take extra care of the fish, they're not doing so great.

If runs are shaping up to be poor again (the "forecast" should be in by late August), maybe reconsider. We all know how many times they're getting re-captured. I know steelhead fishing is some of the best medicine out there. It's likely to be the busiest year on record with how many people are clawing at the opportunity to get back. Might not be the best thing for the declining run sizes. B&B's, hotels, and lodges are going to be in high demand, and the special places lose their appeal when it's busy.

Just trying to add some self-awareness to it. We all love them. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
CF Burkheimer, Olson, Teno, Danielsson, Guideline, Rio, Nextcast.
74 Posts
I have my fake Pfizer vaccine card ready!

I’m kidding of course. I’ve been vaccinated (2nd Pfizer shot on January 8), but I keep wondering how many people will forge a card when the border opens. Here we are in the 21st Century, and the only evidence I have of my vaccine is a paper card with random numbers and illegible initials written next to the 2 dates I received the shots. Would be very easy to get a copy of the card and make up some information.

Hopefully forgery will be a rare event in this situation, but one would think people will try it and get away with it.
Based on the article in CBC possible 2 documents may be required.

In most US states, after inoculation a pharmacy or healthcare provider sends info to state health dep. For example, only I can retrieve my record from State website in from of pdf file , which includes all my credentials, vaccine name , date and State Logo. Unless I give this file to someone else it will be very difficult to forge it . I also got two recipes ( each two pages) from pharmacy for each Moderna shot with all my and pharmacy info.

I have on my iPhone ArriveCAN app. One suggestion was that travelers will have also to upload all relevant docs to the app.

A rare attempts to forge CDC card may not work so well, if each state health dep. sends the data to US State Dep. , Canada Border Officer will be able to see vaccination record when looking at passport......
Forging documents is a Federal Offense, and some people may be surprise when they will be turn in to US Border Patrol.....

BTW, most of anglers who come to BC are from PNW and many do not believe in vaccinations. I suspect number of anglers from US will be smaller Tham average.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I imagine on top of the worry about possibly getting in , when you have both vacs, in Oct.
Most important for me certainly will be the strength of the run. If it piss poor like last 2 years, then I give the fish a rest. Obviously we have ****ed up some major habitat inland, or out in sea. One thing for sure the run size will be determined by the amount of damage our stinking footprint has done to the environment.
Wouldn't it be Wonderfull for once to here of some goodness we are doing to help an environmental destruction, being reversed after our damage, and now is on the mend, instead of cover ups and lies.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I didn't read every post, but people who wear waders into ice cold rivers in the winter have already made made a strong statement about risk tolerance. Someone on here may be an "ankle wader" who can cast as far as they would like to be able to fish or content with fishing closer in, but I imagine the majority frequently try to make up for their lack of distance by just wading a bit deeper.

My understanding from our Canadian employee rumor mill is that the Can/US negotiations are likely to open the border to people who have had a full vaccination regime by late June/early July. Said employees are trying to put a trip to Nova Scotia on my calendar. That trip will lead to a separate post asking, "Where would one go to fish for Atlantic Salmon in Nova Scotia or Newfoundland? and can I get the name of a good guide?" When it happens...

·
Registered
23 Posts
If Canada does open the border, what about the returning adult steelhead? The returns in recent history have been way down. Considering our current bad ocean conditions and the commercial harvest, should we be messing with the few fish that make it to fresh water………

21 - 30 of 30 Posts