Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Burkie that is about 5 years old, it is a 13'3" 8/9/10 that Kerry custom made for me. I just ordered a 9/10 Carron Jestream for it, has anyone cast that sort of combo? I am looking for another rod, a Meiser and need a recommendation based on the current rod I have. I was thinking of a 15' 7/8/9 or the 14' 7/8/9. I am looking for something that wont be too similar to my Burkie. I mainly fish the Clearwater/Deschutes Bulkley and going for the Thompson this year. I have a Bodgan #2 salmon reel that I would like to put on the Meiser. Also what Carron line would best suit this 14' or 15' 7/8/9 setup? Thanks for your help. And always stay on top.

·
Steelhead are cool!
572 Posts
Hi Mike,

I have a 8133 that I throw the 9/10 Carron on. It is a nice match.
The 15' 7/8 Meiz is a nice rod and would suit you well on the rivers you mentioned. The 14' 8/9/10 Highlander is a great rod also.
The Burkie 9149 is my favorite rod over 14' and would work well also.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you are looking for a meiser rod then both the 15ft 7,8,9 and the 14' 7,8,9 are more then capable of covering the big water you mention and anything in betwween. I use the 10/11 carron on my 14'ftr it is a bit faster then the 15' but it's what you want in a 14ft long liner. What it lacks in length it makes up for by creating very high line speed. Either rod would fit well with your burkie and be a noticable change of pace.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Meiser Rod

Hi Mike,
I just orderer a Meiser MKS 14 ft 9/10. Bob spent an hour on the phone with me trying to determine just the right rod and action for my needs. He is a true gentleman with vast knowlege in the art of rod building and will work with you to build just the kind of rod that you are looking for.
Okay Bob;will that get my rod delivered any faster? :chuckle:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your help with this, Bob has been kind enough to hook me up with a demo of the 15' 7/8/9. I will be taking it to the Skeena System later this month. I am a lucky man.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Mike

I just received my Meiser 15 7/8/9. It does well with the Long Delta 8/9, even better with one of Aaron's UK Style long belly at 650 grains. The old XLT 7/8 slows the rod down more than I like, but I saw Brian use that line on the demo rod at the Sandy Clave and go into the backing. I bet you have a great time with the rod on the Skeena - you are to be envied for location and tools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts