Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings, speyfishers!

I'm acquainting myself with the two-handed fishing world, and discovered this great site in the process.

Two-handed rods and casting techniques have always fascinated me, but after catching Pacific salmon on a fly rod--and my first ever steelhead--I'm looking to make the "switch". :grin2:

I'm leaning toward a 13' or longer 9- or 10-weight Skagit rig.

Anyway, thanks for allowing me to join your site. Tight lines!

·
Registered
994 Posts
You've found a great site. In my opinion you are going a bit heavy in wt. of line. 13 ft is a good length. 6or 7 wt is all one needs to fish two hand rods. If you get a chance try out gear before buying , great place to try these is at spey claves. Talk to other two hand fisherman and get their thoughts, some guys will have gear to let you try.
Enjoy this site, and ask question no matter how silly it might seem. Most members are more than happy to offer their help.
Pere

·
Administrator
2,450 Posts
Welcome to Spey Pages. Great community here and a wealth of knowledge. Agreed with the above...if you have a local shop or know folks who are fishing your local waters they'll be a good source of information on starting point for you. Another option would be to post a bit more detail about where you're at and a basic idea of the waters you frequent and folks on here will be able to provide some insight. Enjoy the journey...

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,046 Posts
One nice thing about 2H casting is the number of options open to you. As a beginner, I still am one, I thought a lot like you--skagit and big. But the only thing I held to was the rod length. There are so many lines available I jumped back and forth from one to another. The Rage style lines are a cross between a skagit and a scandi and I like them a lot. The short to mid belly lines seem easier to learn to cast than the long belly lines. And, the shorter head skagit lines are more versatile as they can be used of SH and 2H rods. Goto a shop and try our lots of stuff, you'll save yourself $ and may find things you like a lot better than what you think you want to use.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the fun and pleasures of this site...you will love it...guaranteed !!!
Cheers,
George

1 - 5 of 5 Posts