Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Fall bought a 16' 7/9 Meiser Highlander CX from the classifieds and began casting it. Wasn't sure I liked it at first, I'm more of an MKS/stiff tip kind of guy with longbellies and this was a straight progressive, but once I adjusted my technique to it I began getting equal distance to my 8/9 MKS, with much better tracking and layout. The light weight was a huge plus, too. The effort required to do this was greater though, and I was beginning to think I should've held off on the CX and gotten an MKX instead. However, I felt a tremendous power reserve in this rod and began asking myself what it would take to access it using my most efficient technique. The answer for me was a stiffer tip, target was 725grains. That, I thought, would be perfect. But I was talking myself in circles with it; should I should trade out and get an MKX or what?

So I called my friend Bob and we talked about it. Of course, Bob blew my mind. Which, over the years, has proved to be a recurring pattern, :smokin: He got my drift right away and started talking options. We ended the conversation feeling fantastic and hopeful. He wanted to 'MKX' it, make it something like a comp rod. The rod was gone for awhile, and when it arrived I found the original tip and one that was stiffer, and as soon as I wiggled it I got excited and started spooling lines. I had snagged an Arx4+ on Sierra for half off retail and spooled up the backing and a fresh mono shooter for my new rod. The Arx is lighter than most of my longbelly reels, because the CX was so light it would balance perfectly by my estimation and it did.

First day was on river left; the Single Spey is where I find out if a line is right or not. First line was a 7/8 FF70 at 670 grains. The first cast had a delta, the second cast had a dolphin nose. It felt like a 14' scandi rod in my hand and cast just as effortlessly. A definite Holy Crap moment! I worked my way through shooting line and found the comfy cast zone, with arrow straight layout. I wanted more distance. As I kept putting heavier lines on it up to 800 it didn't complain, but at 730 it was less happy and not light as I would want for an all-day rod. So the happy place is in the low 700's. On target.

I fished it a few more times on river right and left, and after a bit called Bob to give him my impressions. I think I said several times in there, "this a whole new animal" and expressed disbelief that a rod could be so perfectly suited for me from the first cast, which is an exceedingly rare thing. I got a fresh 700 gr FF70 on it now waiting for conditions to improve enough to take it out. I anticipate bliss. Now I'm staring at the snow and checking flows a few times a day. My home river is getting four winter fish per week into the hatchery so I don't have to worry about crowds... and I feel like I tripped and fell into my next level. Great fun, huh?

I've named the rod Cair Laidir, or 'strong heart'.

Bob and his crew went through a whole process trying to figure out the modification and thoroughly test it, and it resulted in a Meiser that feels like nothing I've ever cast before and it's incredible. I wish I was better at describing.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The new tip isn't drastic- it's between 15-20% stiffer than standard, but it takes the rod to a new place. For me, easier and very efficient casts with a compact stroke, blinding line speed, and easier timing. I tell ya, this thing rocks. Makes the rod feel two feet shorter.

Bob had several tips rolled up in varying stiffnesses, flex tested them, and had his posse try them out. Bob apologized for taking so long- one of the test casters, a comp guy, loved the rod so much he didn't give it up very easily. Now that I have my Spazzy paws on it I'm not letting it go either!

Bob's considering making this tip available as an option for the rod. This isn't the kind of mod that makes the rod more challenging or expert-only. Not like that at all.

·
Administrator
17,801 Posts
Mr. Spaz :)

I just came across this thread while doing a search and have to say - yes, your initial reaction to the CX is in line with my thoughts !! Like you, I like the authority of the MKS tip for longer lines, especially for a full sunk line. Don't get me wrong though, the CX has no issues lifting a deep sunk tip or a full sunk line for that matter. It's just the way it does it, doesn't strum my heart chords the same way as the MKS. I think we have similar "feel" ... :D

My salar hunt is happening in a couple months, two months exactly from this time of posting a reply. I don't think I can chance a shipment to Bob and the lads for an assessment of my CX. I want this CX in my quiver to the salar holy land ... I still love this rod as is, just takes a bit more effort as you say. I have a few new long belly lines since the last time I used her that will dig into the grain window a bit more that might compensate for that "feel". I will also say that in it's current CX form it absolutely is a cannon with my long shooting heads :smokin:

I will reassess my "Thunder & Lightning" stick with the new lines and go from there.
It blows my mind that Bob and his crew have so much talent and knowledge regarding the two-hander !! Definitely not a "one trick pony shop". These fine gentlemen are in touch with their product and their customers ... so cool :D

I would like to hear more of your findings with this stick ... I am contemplating another 16'er :hihi:

Mike

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Mike,
I got one of those newfangled BOSS lines in 8/9 and it's really good on this rod, and I have a chopped FF70 in 8/9 that works really good for sinktips, actually casts a sinktip farther than a Gaelforce floater goes.
Bob

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,366 Posts
Resurrecting this one as I remembered it and went looking for it.

I’ve been talking with Bob for a while about needing a 16’ 7/8 MKX. He doesn’t have one in the catalog but we talked about him developing one. He was keen on it being a 6 piece though and I was hesitant to add two ferrules. He sent me a 16’ CX 7/8/9 - 6 piece to play with and I was very impressed.

The first day out I paired it with a 650 grain N.C. 16+ and spent a couple hours with single Speys, reverse Snakes and the odd Snap T. I liked it but was also putting a 16’ 8/9 MKX through paces with some lines and while impressed with the lightness of the CX was not over the moon on it.

Day 2 I decided to take it fishing so spooled up a 670 grain Winter Authority 7/8 with a 15’ Rio Type 8 on it and a size 2 blue heron hooked pattern. I was blown away by this combo. It took a couple casts to get the timing down but then it was effortless to throw Snake rolls shooting 10-11 strips and still have the reel chirp on the roll out. And as mentioned by Speyspaz, it felt like a 14’ rod.

I seriously considered just sending Bob back a check instead of the rod but I did box it up and send it off. The only thing keeping me from buying right now is I really like the MKS/X action. I love the “kerthunk” they have - the catapult feel.

Bob is sending me something else to try and depending on my impressions there, it might still be the CX. I will make sure though and talk to him about Cair Laidir.

·
Administrator
17,801 Posts

I’ve been talking with Bob for a while about needing a 16’ 7/8 MKX.

I really like the MKS/X action. I love the “kerthunk” they have - the catapult feel
Yes, yes, yes !!
A 16ft 7/8 MKX would fit right into my quiver :smokin:
I have a 16' 6/7/8 - 5 piece Highlander and a 16ft 8/9/10 Highlander.
A 16ft 7/8 MKX would be somewhere in the middle ... I can justify that :hihi:

Yes, the "kerthunk" ... very signatory of the MKS and MKX series ... it's addicting isn't it :smokin::smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
677 Posts
Dang this forum.
Now I need a ‘Kerthunk’ on a 16’ stiff tip.
Not sure how I missed the original post.

For those that say there’s no cost to being a member of this community, you lie. But such great lies they are!

I’d rather see Meiz in action than Penn and Teller. Bob and the fine crew are the real magicians.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cair Laidir has an actual recoil too with a stiffer tip, it's crazy, sometimes it actually makes me giggle it feels so good.
The only other thing makes me giggle like that is a .454 Casull one of my buddies has.

·
Administrator
17,801 Posts
Cair Laidir has an actual recoil too with a stiffer tip
Did you ask Bob to build the blank with a stiffer tip??
Or is this the "standard" blank??
I remember Russ (flytyer) asking Bob to build a special 16ft 8/9/10 Highlander years ago with a stiffer tip section.
Bob also added a "turbo tip" to my 11'7" 5/6/7 rod as an optional section ... wonder if he does this with other rods?? May be the ticket Duggan is looking for??

Mike

·
Administrator
17,801 Posts
I would get a 16' 7/8 MKX 8n a hart beat if available!

Mike, where has flytyer been? Haven seen or heard from Russ in several years, his knowledge base on fly tying is second to none.
Last I heard from Russ, he had a promotion at work which came with a lot more work for him.
I hope he is doing well, I think I will reach out to him via email.

Yes, his knowledge of fly tying is vast!!
He has helped me extensively and I can say that he has been the greatest influence in my tying.

Mike

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have missed Russ (Flytyer) also, but was afraid to ask. I hope all is ok. Russ gave me some very detailed instructions regarding dying feathers. They worked out exactly as he predicted.

Doug

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you ask Bob to build the blank with a stiffer tip??
Or is this the "standard" blank??
I remember Russ (flytyer) asking Bob to build a special 16ft 8/9/10 Highlander years ago with a stiffer tip section.
Bob also added a "turbo tip" to my 11'7" 5/6/7 rod as an optional section ... wonder if he does this with other rods?? May be the ticket Duggan is looking for??

Mike
There was some discussion about stiffening the top two sections and various other things, but Bob finally got several tips rolled up of varying increases in stiffness, and the one that ended up winning the job was about 17-21 percent stiffer and in the top section only. Fine-tuned.

I have a Turbo S rod, a 13'6" 7wt that feels really nice with an FF55 and use a 480 scandi with the regular S rod tip. Sweet outfit.

Reactions: GR8LAKES FLYER

·
Administrator
17,801 Posts
There was some discussion about stiffening the top two sections and various other things, but Bob finally got several tips rolled up of varying increases in stiffness, and the one that ended up winning the job was about 17-21 percent stiffer and in the top section only. Fine-tuned.

I have a Turbo S rod, a 13'6" 7wt that feels really nice with an FF55 and use a 480 scandi with the regular S rod tip. Sweet outfit.
Thanks for the response :)
It does sound like Bob built you a regressive taper in a sense, which is MKS/X like.
Would be interesting to hear Bob's thoughts on this :)

Mike

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah Mike, you got it, it's a relative regression with the stiffer tip. That's how it feels like a 14'er. Gets me deep into the blank and recoils so hard I'm afraid of shocking the rod or blowing it up lol. And everybody who's cast it has commented on how friendly the rod feels, not *****y at all.

What I like about it is that the rod remains nearly bottomless when it comes to power. Haven't found the limit yet, but I'm excited to try. I've made several casts with good turnover and straight layout at distances that blew my mind. I've had the back of my shooter off the reel a few times but not gotten a chirp yet. Using Stren Catfish 40#, 110 ft or so. Crazy.
Hope I can get back out there soon and get back to those distances with a little practice, cuz I've been off the 16' sticks since March and very little since Nov. Being away from the long stick isn't good for your mental health, man!! Finding out Tues what's gonna happen with the back surgeries, and hopefully get back to UW to address the neuro issues. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

I’ve been talking with Bob for a while about needing a 16’ 7/8 MKX. He doesn’t have one in the catalog but we talked about him developing one. He was keen on it being a 6 piece though and I was hesitant to add two ferrules. He sent me a 16’ CX 7/8/9 - 6 piece to play with and I was very impressed.

The first day out I paired it with a 650 grain N.C. 16+ and spent a couple hours with single Speys, reverse Snakes and the odd Snap T. I liked it but was also putting a 16’ 8/9 MKX through paces with some lines and while impressed with the lightness of the CX was not over the moon on it.

Day 2 I decided to take it fishing so spooled up a 670 grain Winter Authority 7/8 with a 15’ Rio Type 8 on it and a size 2 blue heron hooked pattern. I was blown away by this combo. It took a couple casts to get the timing down but then it was effortless to throw Snake rolls shooting 10-11 strips and still have the reel chirp on the roll out. And as mentioned by Speyspaz, it felt like a 14’ rod.

I seriously considered just sending Bob back a check instead of the rod but I did box it up and send it off. The only thing keeping me from buying right now is I really like the MKS/X action. I love the “kerthunk” they have - the catapult feel.

Bob is sending me something else to try and depending on my impressions there, it might still be the CX. I will make sure though and talk to him about Cair Laidir.
Hey Duggan ... Nick just built up the grip assembly on a modified 16’0” 4 pc 6/8 Classic blank. We’ve done pretty much the same thing for you here as we did with R. Salinger and Russ.

We made two top sections with +- 5 % more energy then would be typical for this rod.

Doing this not only gives the top 2/3 more lift strength, but it also drives the flex down deeper into the bottom 1/3 ... Converting a mid flex rod into a full flex, yet still keeping a medium fast speed of recovery.

Very MKS action

We’ll send this off to you this coming week.

Guide layout will be marked, all you’ll need to do is tape guides on, and field cast to see if she works for you.

She’ll be tip heavier then the 6 pc, as it is a previous material generation ... So may take a heavier reel to counter

Meiz

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The weird thing about Cair Laidir is, when I finally got her out for a cast after several months off, it was like there was no 'finding the groove' about it. First cast and every one after was like a clock for me. Beautiful.

Mr Bob has certainly hit the mark for me with this rod! I can't hardly walk far or wade deep these days, but I'm sending it like a mofo>:) so no need to!
Maybe I can beat my personal best after the surgery, fingers crossed.

·
Administrator
17,801 Posts
Maybe I can beat my personal best after the surgery, fingers crossed.
I wish you all best best through your surgery my friend ... and a very speedy recovery!!

For the record, am I a good wader and I am very stable in the river ... probably because I am considered to have "Sasquatch Proportions" :hihi:
However with the rods that Bob and team have built me, I too have no need to wade deeply anymore :)

Mike

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,366 Posts
Update:

I received the rod from Bob and taped on some guides to try her out. The word I kept saying after every cast was “effortless”. So smooth and every cast looked just like the other. Threw a 670 WA 7/8 with a 15’ type 8 tip and a 650 Nextcast 16+ floater. Both lines flew! Shooting 10-12 strips and there was more there. It wasn’t the distance that was most impressive, it was the ease of reaching it. Effortless.

As Peter Wolf would say, “Oh no, I can’t deny it. Oh yeah, I guess I got to buy it”.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts