Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have some basic questions as I'm a newbie on buying and selling gear.

I have seen some items recently that I'm interested in purchasing. Can someone tell me the standard procedures in making a payment? I don't have a pay pal account. do I need a pay pal account in order to purchase? Can I simply pay via check?

Same thing if I have something to sell? Can I ask to be paid by check or is pay pal required?

Any 101 tips on setting up pay pal....making a payment, accepting a payment, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
74 Posts
re: payment

Not a pro but was advised to set up a separate bank account with a workable balance in it as you need to be able to deposit to and withdraw funds from the account without compromising your main accounts.
There are members who swear by Paypal, and others who have not had good experiences. Hopefully some of each will respond. Cheques may expose you to a "Nigeria scam" contact. That said, Members here are legit, it's the in/out rip-offs.
Good luck!

·
Banned
894 Posts
First off welcome to the classifieds! Setting up a paypal account is easy, just go to the site and sign up. You will need to register a credit card with then, so as long as you are OK with that. As far as cheques go, most people will hold the parcel till the cheque clears. 99% of the people here are so honest and I've never had any issue but there is always someone out to capitalize on someone else's generosity. The key is to communicate with the seller, check out their post count and when they joined. Search their previous sales and the rest is up to good people. In the US, postal money orders are a lot cheaper than a bank draft in Canada and I see a lot of guys using them. Don't be afraid to ask for pics and enjoy the rewards of a discounted item. Most people on here are crazy when it comes to maintaining their gear, me included. Cheers

sent from the North Pole

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm sure others will chime in. Here are my thoughts. PayPal is fast, simple, and appears to be secure. (Has been for me) if not PayPal, a money order is very much preferred over a check. They are easy to get at the post office and cost a few bucks but are guaranteed at their face value. A check can bounce, etc. and is not as good.

There is a lot of trust and good faith extended when making a deal and these measures can help alleviate some of it.

For me, I always request PayPal or a postal money order. I also don't ship until payment is received, and I always ship with tracking and insurance and provide that tracking info to the buyer. I expect the same when I am purchasing. Also, with PayPal, there is a fee associated with the service (usually 3%) unless the buyer clicks the box "this is a gift" and not the box "for goods and services". Difference being PayPal offers protection to the buyer if the seller does not hold up their end of the deal, and charges the fee for the service. The fee is charged to the seller, basically deducted from whatever the amount of money was that was sent. This fee should also be negotiated with the buyer/seller.

I would never expect someone to choose the gift option and deny the PayPal protection. I have sent it as a gift for low dollar items such as lines but never for a rod or reel.

The classifieds section forum rules has good guidelines as well.

·
Administrator
2,485 Posts
I'm sure others will chime in. Here are my thoughts. PayPal is fast, simple, and appears to be secure. (Has been for me) if not PayPal, a money order is very much preferred over a check. They are easy to get at the post office and cost a few bucks but are guaranteed at their face value. A check can bounce, etc. and is not as good.

There is a lot of trust and good faith extended when making a deal and these measures can help alleviate some of it.

For me, I always request PayPal or a postal money order. I also don't ship until payment is received, and I always ship with tracking and insurance and provide that tracking info to the buyer. I expect the same when I am purchasing. Also, with PayPal, there is a fee associated with the service (usually 3%) unless the buyer clicks the box "this is a gift" and not the box "for goods and services". Difference being PayPal offers protection to the buyer if the seller does not hold up their end of the deal, and charges the fee for the service. The fee is charged to the seller, basically deducted from whatever the amount of money was that was sent. This fee should also be negotiated with the buyer/seller.

I would never expect someone to choose the gift option and deny the PayPal protection. I have sent it as a gift for low dollar items such as lines but never for a rod or reel.

The classifieds section forum rules has good guidelines as well.
This pretty well sums it up for me. There are a few folks on here I have made multiple transactions with and I handle those differently. But...paypal goods payments are more secure, USPS Money Orders are cheap and reliable and I ship everything Priority Mail, insured for full value and consider that when I am pricing something. The key is to make the transaction as secure as possible for both you and the seller / buyer. As a new seller, you may find that a buyer wants a bit more detail and contact information from you. The same may apply as a new buyer. Sellers may want to hold on to the money order until it clears. Even my bank will tell me to do that if I am uncertain of a buyer. Too much fraud these days. Fortunately...this is a very good lot of people on here and no issues for me to this point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
paypal is fine

Paypal is the best way for this kind of transactions But...INSURANCE for the things you send or purchasing via USPS or Canada Post is a must. Once I sold a Z-Axis via Canada Post (I'm in Quebec province) for a fellow in the Washington state: He received an empty cardboard tube...:Eyecrazy: and start a dispute via Paypal but, fortunately, I'd took the insurance for this sending. FIOUUU !!

2-3 months later, the time of the investigation by Canada Post, they send me a check and I refund him via Paypal. It's better to take insurance believe me !!!

my 0.02 cents

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This is by far one of the most trustworthy sites I've ever been a part of. I have never had a "bad deal", and I have complete trust that when I make a sale............or I commit to purchasing something here, the deal is going to turn out good for all involved. I've done a lot of selling here, some buying. I would say that Paypal is the way to go...........however, I get tired of the fees as a seller. Recently I've requested postal money orders strickly due to this issue. In any event, paypal is much preferred by most who buy and sell on internet forums. (in my experience):)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use paypal successfully and insure for the selling price of the goods. Also good to negotiate who is covering paypal fees and also shipping costs in advance. Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts