Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a fly fishing expo next week @ Macomb Comunity College. However theres never any deals, and it cost to go there which I never understood becuse its put on by all these high dollar fly shops that want buisness. If I were to run an expo, it would have free admission, so the public isnt spending 15$ on walking around, but 15$ murchandise. By the way I'm fishing the MO this weekend starting Sat, after I pay homage to the 6th st.:D

·
Banned
974 Posts
fishing finland said:
There is a fly fishing expo next week @ Macomb Comunity College. However theres never any deals, and it cost to go there which I never understood becuse its put on by all these high dollar fly shops that want buisness. If I were to run an expo, it would have free admission, so the public isnt spending 15$ on walking around, but 15$ murchandise. By the way I'm fishing the MO this weekend starting Sat, after I pay homage to the 6th st.:D
I am sorry, but you caught me in a bad mood. What is the purpose of your post? To say that you could do a better job but that you never will?

There is far too much contraction and consoldation in the fly fishing industry lately. I would think that we should be encouraging and supporting all of the local fly fishing shop, shows and guides. Will any of your local shops be at the expo? I am getting a little weary of reading about shops, guides and shows closing.

As I said, you caught me in a bad mood. However, I am glad that you did so I could speak my mind.

- David

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey I understand you angst, but I feel that the "indusrty" is not open to people with budgets in mind. There is a big diffrence in quality of rods and reels from the low end to the top end. Very similar to golf. Also if its a show that vendor based why pay. I dont pay to go to my favorite fly shop, I do support them, but they dont charge me a cover when I walk in. It would be diffrent if a bunch of patrons got together to put on a show and they needed the money to cover the rental, as aposed to the fly shops between here and there putting on a show so we can go there on a mass basis and buy new equipment for 06 also theres never any deals there-distrubution wont allow it.

·
Banned
974 Posts
fishing finland,

I could not disagree with you more. There have been a number of new tackle items introduced over the last couple of years. There are rods, reels, etc. in every price range. There is quite a bit in the budget category. When you go to an expo/fly show you are not paying the fly shop to enter. What you are paying for is for all the vendors/dealers to be in one location at the same time. It is a terrific opportunity for you to talk and meet people in the industry. It is not there for "deals", it is not a swap meet. If you put in the time, you may learn a lot and still make it out to the Mo.

Here is an offer: consider going to the Expo and looking for shops that have spey gear. Attend the MoJo event in MI in April. UppermidwestFlyFishing.com will be hosting a Steelhead Spey Day on September 10th and we will love to have you there. Our event is free, you won't be able spend money except for the beverages/food that our regional FFF group will be selling. :hihi:

Sorry to be testy, but I feel strongly on supporting our local shops/guides/shows.

Welcome to the spey community!
David

·
Registered
445 Posts
.............fishing finland,I like a deal too,but,funny thing,you pay to go to the expo,and SO DO THE FLY SHOPS. Not only do they have to pay for the space,but transportation,employee wages,displays,theft,etc. When I talk to these guys,they don't always jump for joy because it is show season. It is a lot of work and expense with not a lot of reward. It IS a great way to see what is new in equipment and techniques,which I think is something you asked about.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, dont get me wrong I belive in supporting all the good local shops that tell the truth, wont sell a novice junk they dont need, or anything else thats crap, and would rather see a guy buy a quality rod, made in the USA. But I dont feel that the expo should charge 15 or 20 dollars to attend. I understand, and am not being cheap. Instead feel that the indusry can give us a break, espically at shows. And I support my shops year round, not just at a show. Also If i wanted to buy cheap, i would by imports. Rember friends dont let friend fish imports.

·
Registered
445 Posts
whew

..................fishing finland,one more post and I am done here,........country of orgin has nothing to do with quality or price.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:Eyecrazy: Are you nuts, always buy american. I would always chose a quality american fly rod over an over seas one. Even if it performed better than ours, after all how much better is it going to be. When the quality of the rod is causing me losing fish, then I would be in the wrong busines currently I am just an average fly fisherman who belives in god and country, an perferrs american over imports. But to each there own, you want to support the local fly shops, well try supporting the local rod manufactures too:saeek:

·
Registered
445 Posts
OK,I lied,one more post!

............ff,let me make this simple for you. I said,"country of orgin isn't a reflection of price or quality". That means,where something is made doesn't indicate what it costs or what the quality is. PERIOD. It doesn't mean don't buy American. But before you buy "American",make sure the components,and the labor,are American.There are very few rod(or any)manufacturers that are truly American.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dont everyone get me wrong I appreciate, all the vendors, and all the stuff they do for fly fishing. All I am saying is I would be more willing to support a show where the door proceeds went to the rental, and some charitable cause. As far as american made equipment, I agree most sporting goods are made overseas. However when given the choice I prefer to sport american companies. Meaning they make, and assemble here in the U.S. Now realistically we all know this isnt the case with most products. As far as the fly fishing expo held at Macomb Community college it is a commercialized show, so was the MUCC show this year. Worst outdoor rama I've been to. Being a life time member of MUCC, and Michigan Steelheaders, as well a Trout unlimited. I feel that there has been more reliance of vendors to support these shows than its members. Remeber most these shows were originally sponsored by these groups, and then they invited vendors. Now it seems to be going in the other direction. Also like most sports I feel that they should revolve around the youth. Meaning how can a teenage kid, on his own save enough money to fly fish. As with most sports Adults drive the market up because they are willing to pay top dollar to have the best. If you look at entry level Scott's, Sage, T&T, or any other manufacture the minium cost for these is not going to be lower than 125 or so. Why? because we as adults are willing to pay that cost. So in closing Take a kid fishing not to teach him what you learned at some show, but that fishing is the oldest form of hunting and gathering, and that if we dont respect our Natural resources we will loose them, and that sometimes its best to go out and not catch anything than it is to leave with 3 in the hand.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Money grubbing Fly Shops

Fishing Inland, sorry to wake you up. We are passing on some shows this year simply because as someone posted earlier we can't afford to be there. With the cost of transportation, staffing, booth space, ripping the shop appart and putting it back together, etc. it just doesn't pay. Somehow I think that it is the general angling community (read yourself) that is the loser in this scenario. As to th big money :roll: angling shops. Who the h&ll are they. Maybe a figment of somebody's imagination. I can almost guarantee that you make more money than the guy selling you your tackle. The only people in this game are the ones that love it cause they sure as [email protected] are'nt in it for the money.:(
My slightly pi$$ed off 2 cents
Ramsay

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah apparently your not doing to well, sorry to hear that:( However where I live they are, and I'm glad they are. But this particular show I'm discussing is not a good show. Now the shows you may go to are and good for you. But the greater Detroit area show isnt. Now other shows I have been to in the state are but the Macomb Community College show isnt. So if your implying that I'm saying all shows are bad your wrong. But as I see your not from Michigan I couldnt hardly see how your opinion about the fly shops here matter or the show's they have here. After all the consumers arent going to your shop for a reason just my two cents:tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Quick!! Let's get in line!!

................Hey,MJC,Muckle Salmon,Dornblaser,MJYP,let's quit paying the Big Bucks for T&T,Sage,Scott,and what the heck,let's throw Meizer in here too.....then the price will drop down to around $125.00 for a spey rod,and we can buy them cheap!! Especially,since they will be going out of business. Warranties won't matter to us,though,cause we will be able to buy several rods at that price.

·
Ghetto caster
711 Posts
fishing finland said:
Yeah apparently your not doing to well, sorry to hear that:( However where I live they are, and I'm glad they are.

Just curious how you know that the local shops are so prosperous? Do you have ownership in any of them or are a managing entity for them? I've had some pretty frank discussions with one of the local owners and while he isn't starving, he also isn't "raking it in." It seems that like many lines of retail sales, the business is constantly up and down.
Please correct me if you have FACTUAL knowledge that would prove me wrong.
I saw a funny saying about this topic on this board somewhere in the past and I figure it fit's the bill for this thread. It went something like:
"The best way to make a small fortune in a fly shop is to start out with a large fortune."

·
Registered
599 Posts
fishing finland

Hey, fishing finlind,

What's the purpose in all these posts of yours?

This site (in my opinion) is to share info on two-handed casting and fishing, not to create angst!!

I suggest you use the site in the manner it was intended.

Rphelps:tsk_tsk:

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
rphelps said:
Hey, fishing finlind,

What's the purpose in all these posts of yours?

This site (in my opinion) is to share info on two-handed casting and fishing, not to create angst!!

I suggest you use the site in the manner it was intended.

Rphelps:tsk_tsk:
I'm wondering how this post got off to this, it surely wasn't my intent when I originally posted.

Furthermore,

To buy a rod because of its country of origin is ridiculous. Buy rods that are comfortable to cast, the last thing I would think of is the country it was made, if at all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey.FF

FF. I would suggest you go to the Michigan Fly Fishing Club Website. They are and have always been the organizer of this show. The proceeds from this show gate reciepts go to the MFFC as a fund raiser. I worked this show for many years. The monies have been used for everything from Stream bank erosion project (see carp river as on), Kids only fly fishing schools,financing fisheries grad students ect.

I just wish you would have done a little research before popping off.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok ok

every one relax, I admit I like to stir the pot. I just posted my opinion of this show, and what I like to belive in. It dose not mean my interest in this sport is unsupportive of everyone and everything. I do not say dont buy this or dont buy that to anyone I just say I support american companies, I didnt say dont go to this show I just stated my opinion of the show. I am a fisherman, who enjoys all types of fishing rather it be carp or steelies. I have opinions, and so dose everyone else. I do not belittle anyone for there opinions or say there opinion is crap or anything else like that. If it werent for people stating there opinions nothing would change. That goes from shows-to DNR regulations. They are just my opinions. Its good that some people disagree with me, but dont beat me up over it. Thanks, i'll take it all with a grain of salt.:razz:

·
Banned
974 Posts
fishing finland said:
every one relax, I admit I like to stir the pot. I just posted my opinion of this show, and what I like to belive in. It dose not mean my interest in this sport is unsupportive of everyone and everything. I do not say dont buy this or dont buy that to anyone I just say I support american companies, I didnt say dont go to this show I just stated my opinion of the show. I am a fisherman, who enjoys all types of fishing rather it be carp or steelies. I have opinions, and so dose everyone else. I do not belittle anyone for there opinions or say there opinion is crap or anything else like that. If it werent for people stating there opinions nothing would change. That goes from shows-to DNR regulations. They are just my opinions. Its good that some people disagree with me, but dont beat me up over it. Thanks, i'll take it all with a grain of salt.:razz:
I think the problem is that nobody likes the pot stirred by someone who offers opinions without first making an effort to learn. Not only are there the true masters who are at the cutting edge of fishing and casting with a two-handed rod on this website, there are also a lot of very experienced steelheaders and guides who are on the rivers almost daily. Well down on the knowledge pryamid are those who have been fishing with a two-handed rod for 5 years or less. And then there are those that would like to take up the two-handed rod and ask serious questions. It is amazing how generous the board members are with people who want to learn and are willing to put in the time to do so.

Its good that some people disagree with me, but dont beat me up over it.
I won't speak for others on the board, but I think that you are not serious about learning about steelheading beyond your current skill level of C&D'ng.

- David Dornblaser

1 - 20 of 34 Posts