Spey Pages banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Re the Decho 6.5 II, I had one, tried a dozen lines on it over two years. Some were good or excellent pairings as to weight, but none performed with enthusiasm. The rod was the graphite version of a pedigreed bird dog that just doesn't like to hunt. I think that Dec had the right idea; a 12 foot 9 inch rod for 6 and 7 lines is a great recipe for a summer steelhead stalwart. Once more into the breach, my friends.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have not purchased a rod that I regretted yet. That's why my wife thinks that I have hoarding tendencies, I almost never sell any equipment. For me, it's also all about getting dialed in with the right lines.

Todd
Lol that’s the opposite problem. I still have my sage 8’0 6/7 gII “youth” rod I purchased 1995 or so. Came with a sage model 106 reel and a double taper line. I fished the crap out of it during those years and mostly keep it around for nostalgia.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
DH: Scott 1409

SH - About 20 years, a guide in NZ handed me a 5wt GL4 and it was magic. Bought one a few month later and I would say no magic. I did get it to perform good enough, when I moved up to a 6wt line. But it is rarely used now. I till have many old SH rods that sing - 7wt 4pc GL3, Scott ARC 1007, Scott G 905/4, Fenwick 7wt 4pc HMG, Scott STS 905-4. Over the years, I have added to the quiver with rods from Sage, Morgan, Winston, et cetera and have few favourites, and a few ok - Scott G 703 comes to mind and maybe the only the other SH regret.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Luckily I haven't purchased a rod that disappointed me due to its quality or my lack of finding its "groove". However, I did recently experience buyer's remorse because of the timing of a rod purchase. I've always been impressed with and loyal to Scott fly rods. For years I'd read about people gushing over the Raidian but I never could justify buying one. Just about a year ago I decided to go ahead and get a 9' 5wt. Paid full price... The next day Scott announced the Centric model and the discontinuation of the Radian! The shop I bought the rod from is one I do a fair deal of business with and knowing they had boxes of the Centric sitting in the back waiting to be stocked while they sold me the Radian made me a bit bitter. A little heads up would have been nice. Anyway, I had the Centric about five days later and sold the Radian without ever casting it.
pretty lame of the shop not to give you a heads up of a new model coming out. That said, I can’t imagine Scott improving on the Radian. It’s an incredible 5 weight. I need to cast the centric though.

Jake

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Reminds me of when YEllowstone angler would hype a certain rod in a shootout a few months before it was discontinued and it just so happened they had a nice inventory on hand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had a Meiser S 13' 6 weight I could never quite dial in after trying handful of lines while having 2 other Meisers I love. Always figured it was just me then the rod was stolen when I had my back turned which sux but could have been worse as the rod I had in hand fishing at the time was one of Bob Clay's. Still pissed that low life's would steel a rod but at least it wasn't a favorite.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,526 Posts
I have owned north of 50 of them over the years and only a few I didn’t have some affection for. The 1510 Scott ARC was one. The 1509-3 T&T was one I tried to like and in some ways did but never could get comfortable with. Probably get booed out of here but my all time least favorite rod was the 9140-4 Sage. I know, that is blasphemy.

·
Registered
Beulah Burkheimer Meiser
1,617 Posts
Sounds like the O.P. is *****ing about the journey we all make. There is an infinite combo of rods, heads, lines, tips, etc.....Ive had some gear that I either didn't spend enough time with, ignored, or had false expectations of and all Id do is list it in the classifieds. I always figured if something wasn't working out after a while it was me and not the gear.
Im sorry you feel that something that came out of Kerry Burkheimer's shop was a turd. First world problems.....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Meiser trout Spey S2H1132S-5. I want a rod for soft hackles, that would throw around 200gr, give or take. It needs at least 300, if not more. Absolutely not what I wanted
Which line or lines are you using on that Sage HD 1109?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Stories like some of these is why I have always stuck to GLoomis rods. Started with IMX went with GLX and my last was an NRX. Loved all these rods. Passed a few to sons and grandkids. 'basically if Rajef designed and built it It fit me perfect. I am now restricted to very light rods 2 or3 wt because both tendons are broken in my casting arm so I fish small Trout streams here in Idaho. Just keep my elbow down and I am ok. two hand I go lefty.

Skilly

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had a B&W Hexagraph Hugh Falkus Grilse 12'4". I'd read all this stuff about how Falkus designed rods were so good and blah blah blah, but in my opinion it was absolutely awful. I could not get it to work with any line, and I tried a good few.

We fell out with each other and I sold it to a Swedish chap, who e-mailed me shortly afterwards to say it was wonderful.

Each to their own.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have 5 Meiser rods and love them! I should say I love Meiser Highlander Classics. (I still need to try the MKX series 😊)
I had a 13’6” Meiser S rod and never found the groove with it. Spent two years trying to dial it in and never could. Fit is a funny thing.
I have the 8136 MKX and have yet to find a line that DOES NOT work.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hahaha, great tread!
Winston B3X 6126 for me, that rod and I did not get along...not sure what was wrong but tried about a half dozen lines on it and could not get it dialed.
Had that same rod, had the same issues.
Also had a Burkie 6128, we didn't get along that well. I could get it to cast well with 1 or 2 setups, but deviate from them, and everything fell apart. Throw any line on my ACR Nova 6126, and it is magic all day. I guess we all have our casting styles, and the Burkie just didn't work for me.

Reactions: Andrei1984
21 - 37 of 37 Posts