Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't posted a thread in a long time and given that I'm in a salty mood, I was thinking it would be fun (and informative) to see which rod purchases users on here ultimately regretted. I ride mountain bikes and that is also one of those hobbies where people will participate in mental gymnastics to justify their overly expensive hobby. Fly fishing is no different, but I have come to the conclusion there's no shame in just moving on from a rod you think is garbage even if someone insists it is not.

The "revised" 8139-4 Burkheimer is one rod I really disliked. The original rod was light, crisp, had that sweet flex that every seasoned caster is after. The new one feels like a turd in my hand. Nothing quite like blowing a grand on a new rod, cycling through every 7/8/9 shooting head and full spey line you own, spending another $300 on lines in search of something that is magic like certain combos on the 7134-4. Nothing. My fishing buddies, some who are amazing casters, all thought the same; nothing on this rod worked. Kind of grinds my gears to think of the money I lost (it was a presentation version) but ultimately it was a good experience regarding expectations for fly tackle: Don't pound your head against a wall for 8 weeks trying to make something work when you have other setups that are sublime. You don't have to justify your purchase if you know deep down it sucks.

Another dog I spent good money on was a Sage Accel 590-4. Went through a half dozen different lines with this rod and it always felt dead to me. "Clubby" is a kind way to describe casting this Accel; no feel, no liveliness, which really made going fishing with it kind of a bummer. I should have taken the hint when I wouldn't even rig an outbound (which can cast well for its purpose) to it for cutthroat fishing in the estuary, instead favoring a Redington I bought on Sierra for $60. Also a good lesson for me that just because you like a weight/length combination from a certain series, don't blindly buy a rod from the same series especially if you are shopping mid tier rods. Not to rag on Sage but they certainly produce a minefield of duds with some decent to great rods mixed in their mid tier rod series. To some extent, many manufacturers have this problem to some degree (unable to create consistent feelings rods across a fresh/saltwater lineup), it's just that Sage's mid tier lineups seem to suffer from low floor/not very high ceiling syndrome.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hahaha, great tread!
Winston B3X 6126
Yeah my friend was super hyped about the B3X in that configuration when it came out given he had fished his BIIX to death. I think we spent a week trying to figure out some line with the B3X 6126 loaner from the shop, ran into the same situation. He's still fishing with the BIIX 7 years later.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also this thread isn't meant to drag anyone for their taste in rods; the only thing that matters if you like fishing with it! I'm just some guy bored on the internet.

·
loco alto!
3,089 Posts
Thankfully most rods that I’ve regretted buying were used rods that I was on the fence about, and so were sold without much loss. Plenty of them, across many makers, but I won’t be naming names. Some love them, they just didn’t fit my groove.

Reactions: gbs

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
I have many rods I haven’t fully figured out yet - most I bought used to experiment with. Some were impulse buys. But my problem is that with most of those I can’t yet make a definitive determination that they have nothing left to teach me. Maybe someday I will sell a bunch of them ... but not yet.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As far as two handed rods, I am fortunate to have a quiver of rods I love. A lot of that due to resources like speypages for the initial research and then at the annual local Spey Clave that Michael & Young fly shop puts on here, being able to test cast rods I’m interested in. Even with older rods, there is usually someone around the group with one willing to let someone try it out.

Some are going to think it’s blasphemy, but one rod I bought and regretted was an old Sage 8150. When I first started playing with some longer lines, I decided I wanted a longer rod. I found an 8150 that had previously had the lower section sent to Bob Meiser and outfitted with a Meiser reel seat and cork work. The rod was absolutely gorgeous and I thought the best of both worlds, classic Sage with some extra style points. Unfortunately I just could not get in the groove with it, it didn’t suit my style. I‘m not necessarily a fast rod guy, I like to feel a rod load, but I do like a fairly fast recovery and found the rod painfully slow. I would pickup other similar length and weight more modern rods and loved them but just didn’t like the classic stick.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I absolutely HATED my DHechoII 6.5 wt for the first couple years I had it. Every time I used it I wanted to break it over my knee. Then I put an old Delta line on it and it quickly became my favorite dry fly rod. They just match so nicely.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have 5 Meiser rods and love them! I should say I love Meiser Highlander Classics. (I still need to try the MKX series 😊)
I had a 13’6” Meiser S rod and never found the groove with it. Spent two years trying to dial it in and never could. Fit is a funny thing.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thankfully most rods that I’ve regretted buying were used rods that I was on the fence about, and so were sold without much loss. Plenty of them, across many makers, but I won’t be naming names. Some love them, they just didn’t fit my groove.
Yeah! You sold me one! Thanks!!! Lol ... I'm not sore about it, sincerely. This thread is hilarious.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I absolutely HATED my DHechoII 6.5 wt for the first couple years I had it. Every time I used it I wanted to break it over my knee. Then I put an old Delta line on it and it quickly became my favorite dry fly rod. They just match so nicely.
The thought of you breaking a rod over your knee really made me laugh uncontrollably. LOL Thanks for the good laugh.

Reading your words I pictured approaching a guy streamside breaking a rod over his knee. What a sight that would be! Funny as hell to me haha!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I hate click reels, every time I get a new line to try the wife can here me in my man cave and comes down to see what the commotion is all about. If I have a fish on the pinners swarm to my spot and low hole me. I like the piece and quiet of disc drags and the stealth they provide.

·
Registered
95 Posts
For me it was the Winston B3X 11' 6wt. Different lines worked well but it didn't have anything special when I cast it. Then I cast the 11'6" 6wt and wow! World of a difference. I first thought this had more to do with my casting style than the function of the rod, but then when you get such a difference in the satisfaction of how it feels in your hand as that line flies out... it's definitely the rod.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Luckily I haven't purchased a rod that disappointed me due to its quality or my lack of finding its "groove". However, I did recently experience buyer's remorse because of the timing of a rod purchase. I've always been impressed with and loyal to Scott fly rods. For years I'd read about people gushing over the Raidian but I never could justify buying one. Just about a year ago I decided to go ahead and get a 9' 5wt. Paid full price... The next day Scott announced the Centric model and the discontinuation of the Radian! The shop I bought the rod from is one I do a fair deal of business with and knowing they had boxes of the Centric sitting in the back waiting to be stocked while they sold me the Radian made me a bit bitter. A little heads up would have been nice. Anyway, I had the Centric about five days later and sold the Radian without ever casting it.

·
Premium Member
Sage HD Trout Spey 1wt & 3wt; Meiser S2H1132S-5
62 Posts
Meiser trout Spey S2H1132S-5. I want a rod for soft hackles, that would throw around 200gr, give or take. It needs at least 300, if not more. Absolutely not what I wanted

·
Hacker
622 Posts
One single-hand and one two-hand rod come to mind and I ended up getting rid of both. I am not a skilled enough caster to blame the rod, I just could not get either figured out after trying several different lines on each. I am sure there was a magic combination for both, and my hope is the new owners have better luck than I did with them.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I fished my early years with a very inexpensive big box store Abu Garcia fly rod produced in China. I would have broke that one over my knee but the rod was not worth the pain it would have inflicted. At the time, it was the only rod I "knew" and could afford. Since then, I have casted many rods and mostly find its a matter of finding the right line pairing and reel balance. I can relate to many comments on this thread about hating a rod until you find the perfect match and then it becomes the "favorite". As an archery guy, I have found the same things apply -- get a good arrow, good tune, and it's amazing how enjoyable a bow is to shoot -- and it doesn't have to be a high end bow. Today, we are blessed with so many good rods, it's hard to complain. But I still keep my knee ready for the fishing partners that show up with an unbalanced set-up. Now I fish with a Meiser long rod, a classic clicker that wakes up the campers in the wee morning hours, and a Gaelforce line that flies into the next county. What a step up from my China gear! It's like the perfect set-up that I equate to a Lamborghini or Ferrari. High end cars require good drivers. So do these set-ups, especially with long lines. Some of my buddies couldn't cast these outfits to save their life. But, to me, they are perfect!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts