Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The user - markemsoffh reached out to me via a private message on a WTB post I made for a Loomis or Sage switch rod with the following email -

Hi,

If you’re still interested in getting the Gloomis switch rod. I have a friend who can help you out with that. Here’s his gmail address - [email protected]

Cheers

Phone number for this "Anderson Daniel" from Ohio is 740-738-2860. Worth noting he was trying to sell me a number of Loomis or Sage rods for way too cheap (Red Flag), and refused to accept any payment method except for Paypal Friends & Family (Red Flag).

I didn't lose anything. Just sharing in hopes of saving other people any headaches of getting scammed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have had the exact same response from someone when I posted a WTB buy post. I checked that the user had just joined which seemed sus.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
4,041 Posts
The user - markemsoffh reached out to me via a private message on a WTB post I made for a Loomis or Sage switch rod with the following email -

Hi,

If you’re still interested in getting the Gloomis switch rod. I have a friend who can help you out with that. Here’s his gmail address - [email protected]

Cheers

Phone number for this "Anderson Daniel" from Ohio is 740-738-2860. Worth noting he was trying to sell me a number of Loomis or Sage rods for way too cheap (Red Flag), and refused to accept any payment method except for Paypal Friends & Family (Red Flag).

I didn't lose anything. Just sharing in hopes of saving other people any headaches of getting scammed.
I have had the exact same response from someone when I posted a WTB buy post. I checked that the user had just joined which seemed sus.
Please use the report feature for all of these

Our admins try there best but there are many pricks out there ....ooops did I say that sorry

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had 2 on a WTB post. Both from a different user, but exact same message and return email address. I reported to moderators. One other thing both users joined within hours of the attempt.

Frank

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have heard of this scam tactic on WTB adds on a few different forums now (not all fishing related).

A shame for sure as I’ve found a few rods and lines over the years through WTB adds that weren’t necessarily advertised or posted but people that had what I was looking for collecting dust and decided to pass along to someone that would put to use.

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
This happens almost every time I post something as WTB
The reason for this, and also the duplicate ones mentioned above is, as we have discussed on here many times, that the first emails are likely initiated by bots as it is pretty easy to write a script that will look for certain things and respond. Once they have a live one on the hook they may respond in person, but even then there are clues. The reason it will get worse is that fairly recently some members have actually gotten scammed successfully. This is a clue to the scammers to double down.

They all operate on the idea that even if one out of 100 (or 10000) people are fooled they will be successful. So this is going to eventually effect all of us if every time there a WTB ad is posted the spam starts flying. We used to have simple protections against this stuff, and it seemed to work. The new way pms are implemented makes it more difficult I think to prevent people from using it until after a certain threshold is reached. At least threads like this one get the word out to people who have somehow never experienced this sort of scam.

Once you understand how this particular one works it is virtually impossible to get fooled, but with thousands being sent there is always someone out there that may be new at this.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The reason for this, and also the duplicate ones mentioned above is, as we have discussed on here many times, that the first emails are likely initiated by bots as it is pretty easy to write a script that will look for certain things and respond. Once they have a live one on the hook they may respond in person, but even then there are clues. The reason it will get worse is that fairly recently some members have actually gotten scammed successfully. This is a clue to the scammers to double down.

They all operate on the idea that even if one out of 100 people are fooled they will be successful. So this is going to eventually effect all of us if every time there a WTB ad is posted the spam starts flying. We used to have simple protections against this stuff, and it seemed to work. The new way pms are implemented makes it more difficult I think to prevent people from using it until after a certain threshold is reached. At least threads like this one get the word out to people who have somehow never experienced this sort of scam.

Once you understand how this particular one works it is virtually impossible to get fooled, but with thousands being sent there is always someone out there that may be new at this.
Yeah, new members are dumb. I can attest to that, at least one of them anyway. I bought a rod from the classifieds section here within my first 6 weeks or so of joining. I paid with PayPal Friends & Family. I was just trying to be nice and save the seller some money. Now after reading about all these scams/attempts, I can see why most would say that was a stupid decision. Not that I'm completely naive, I understood the risks involved with F&F over Merchant. I just thought I'd do the seller a favor, and to be fair, that seller never mentioned F&F, fees, or any extra cost. He listed a price, and I paid it. I just chose to use F&F on my own accord. Silly me. Oh well. Luckily, everything worked out, and I'm happy with the purchase. From now on though, I'll just stick to the safer side of PayPal.

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
No, NOT dumb, just inexperienced. I’m sure the first person who got scammed by the famous “Nigerian Prince” email scam, which was an early variation on this scam and was in its turn preceded by similar “advanced fee” type scams going back at least to the early 19th century using snail mail (and I’m guessing to ancient Egypt in some form), felt dumb too.

But suspect everyone. Make sure they send pictures and use due diligence with those. If the seller can’t be bothered to respond transparently, or in decent English, that may be another sign. They should instantly be able to send asked for and specific photos of the item. But it will also be an act of faith to a certain extent if not using insured means of payment - the ONLY way to go if you are in any doubt, and the one type you know they will not accept since that will bring them in actual conflict with the legal system wherever they live.

Sounds like the PayPal use is a new twist as in the past they have been asking for blatantly untraceable methods. PayPal at least know who you are. So for example, YOU can offer to pay the paypal fees it that is the issue. All that this mean is that PayPal will investigate and punish misdeeds if you use the regular services and not FF. If they still complain about it with you paying the fees then they are a scammer.

FWIW, if I buy things from people on here whose posts I’ve been reading for a long time I’m usually willing to do FF. I do consider them “friends”, but I still weigh in the price of the item. But the insurance you get for the paid PayPal service is invaluable in any case where you aren’t willing to go on faith.

·
Registered
ACR, Echo DHII, Danielsson, Leland, Hardy, Rio, Airflo
4,041 Posts
But the insurance you get for the PayPal service is invaluable in any case where you aren’t willing to go on faith.
And remember without those fees from PP there would be no PP or protection and we would all be in a position to get screwed

·
Registered
187 Posts
No, NOT dumb, just inexperienced. I’m sure the first person who got scammed by the famous “Nigerian Prince” email scam, which was an early variation on this scam and was in its turn preceded by similar “advanced fee” type scams going back at least to the early 19th century using snail mail (and I’m guessing to ancient Egypt in some form), felt dumb too.

But suspect everyone. Make sure they send pictures and use due diligence with those. If the seller can’t be bothered to respond transparently, or in decent English, that may be another sign. They should instantly be able to send asked for and specific photos of the item. But it will also be an act of faith to a certain extent if not using insured means of payment - the ONLY way to go if you are in any doubt, and the one type you know they will not accept since that will. Ring them in actual conflict with the legal system wherever they live.

Sounds like the PayPal use is a new twist as in the past they have been asking for blatantly untraceable methods. PayPal at least know who you are. So for example, YOU can offer to pay the paypal fees it that is the issue. All that this mean is that PayPal will investigate and punish misdeeds if you use the regular services and not FF. If they still complain about it with you paying the fees then they are a scammer.

FWIW, if I buy things from people on here whose posts I’ve been reading for a long time I’m usually willing to do FF. I do consider them “friends”, but I still weigh in the price of the item. But the insurance you get for the paid PayPal service is invaluable in any case where you aren’t willing to go on faith.
Yeah. I think regardless of the amount of photos or detail in the photos provided, it's always smart to as for a specific photo, ie a particular part of the rod, maybe even from a certain angle or whatever, just something that they will have to produce special. It really doesn't matter what it is, just that it's unique and proves they are actually in possession of the rod or whatever it may be. Otherwise, they could have just found and posted some photos of a rod that sold on eBay or some other forum's classifieds section months or even years ago. Last week somebody on here posted a WTB ad for a 4wt SH rod. I sent them a PM about what I had available to see if there was any interest in it. The OP said they were definitely interested in the rod (and a line that I'd mentioned), so I sent them detailed photos of the rod and line. Beside the rod, I place a had written sign that stated my user name along with the item description and cost that I had discussed with him in the PM conversation. I figured that was a sure fire way to eliminate any possible doubt from someone who may be overly skeptical about the legitimacy of the offer. Obviously nothing is foolproof, but I figured providing as much information, details, and transparency as I could, right off the bat, was the best way to go. I sent many close up detailed photos of all aspects of the rod and line. Included below is the photo that I was referring to. I think it'd be a good idea if everyone here could adopt this practice.
Example Photo.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts
Nice!

Another thing that can be useful, but that not a lot of people have used before, it the photo search function on google. It will look for photos the same or similar on the web as the one you are referencing. Since a fraud will usually get his photo from the internet you can sometimes check. If you get a hit the identical photo, for example on an eBay ad that has nothing to do with the guy selling then you will know it is a fraud attempt. You should be able, for example, ask for a closeup of a certain area.

At any rate if he wants your money he should at the very least accept to be verified as a specific person, even if it is getting his name, address and phone number first.

Another issue is stolen stuff getting fenced, so if it seems like it is too good to be true.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts