Spey Pages banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
8152 and short heads.

With heads under 50ft on the 8152 one needs to think more about finesse and the ability to shorten the casting stroke when needed. I enjoy this rod with heads in the 45ft range especially with multi density lines. The extra length does help with getting these lines to the surface.

Just like the long lines require the caster to be slow and smooth I think long rods and short heads require more attention to detail. The biggest challenge I see is anchor placement, the sweep is really minimal with this combo and it's really easy to blow anchors. The 8152 does recover from load very quickly it was not designed as a short head rod by any means.

The 8142 is exceptional, it will do all things spey equally well. When I am dialed into the 8152 with short heads it's just plain silly, I say stupid stuff I jump up and down a little and am grinning from ear to ear. It's that good!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.