Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
So I have a near new, new to me, Burky 8152. I have four other Burky's that I can cast in my sleep, a perfect fit.
This rod, 8152, seems very different and tempermental to line weights and casting stroke/speed/ forward stroke etc.
Anyone else have this experience, what lines under 50' heads do you use, weights/grains etc.
Thanks for any feedback in advance.
dtrap

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for the info. Both of you seem to be using lighter lines than Burky recommends?
Did you try the Nextcast 55 8/9? Did it seem too heavy ?
Thanks,
dtap

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Well I own a 7127, 8128, 8134,9129,9145, and they all cast, feel very similar to me. As I said I can cast these rods without a second thought. They are just an extensions of my body. Most people consider me a pretty good caster so I'm not a novice trying to learn how to cast.
I tend to use a lot of bottom hand but I find the 8152 doesn't really like that. It 'shocks' the rod. I find I need to use both top and bottom hand more evenly with the 8152. Maybe it's due to it's length and it's as simple as that.
The lines I've tried so far are Scandi style heads, Rio, Mackenzie, Hardy etc in grain weights from 550grn - 650grn. I usually put a clear poly leader on these to make the heads a little longer, around 60' from rod tip to the fly. The poly leader also gives the line a little more grip on the anchor.
I have a Nextcast FF45 coming next week.
I think it is just me getting used to the rod as no one else seems to think this rod/design is any different from other Burkys. I'll figure it out.
I tried a Meiser briefly, 15' 7/8/9 Highlander classic and I used these same lines on it with no problem at all. The rod was quite a bit heavier than the Burky and didn't seem as sensitive to 'my' casting stroke, more forgiving. Don't know why but there you go.
Thanks guys/gals
dtrap

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
8152 burky

Thanks for the insight. I'd use a longer line if I didn't have a touchy right shoulder. Lifting the hands to clear the 'D' loop on a longer belly line takes it's toll on my shoulder after a while. That's why I've settled on a head to fly of 60' max.
I'll work on being smoother and slower with the 8152 to try and wait for the whole rod to load and not punch the forward stroke.
dtrap

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
8152 burky

Sazan,
This is all very good info. I was planning on cutting back the FF45 8/9 by a foot or so, that should put it in my wheelhouse.
Thanks for taking the time to guide me through this.
dtrap

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
8152 burky

I think I can borrow one of those from my local fly shop. They don't have the FF so I ordered one online.
I'll see which one I like the most.
dtrap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.