Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a Burkie 9145 with an uplocking reel seat...serial number starting with 01. I understand there are a couple of time line tweaks in the 9145's life. One more a tip action and a later model with a bit more bend. Any idea which this one is. I'm not a skagit head guy, so my intent is to put a mid belly on the rod, possibly with tips and may give a FF70 a try for the fun of it. I have delta's and delta longs in 8/9 9/10 with and without tips. Also am very open to any of the Nextcast lines...like them quite a bit. Anyhoo...would appreciate some input.

Thanks for line and rod input ahead of time.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just picked up a Burkie 9145 with an uplocking reel seat...serial number starting with 01. I understand there are a couple of time line tweaks in the 9145's life. One more a tip action and a later model with a bit more bend. Any idea which this one is. I'm not a skagit head guy, so my intent is to put a mid belly on the rod, possibly with tips and may give a FF70 a try for the fun of it. I have delta's and delta longs in 8/9 9/10 with and without tips. Also am very open to any of the Nextcast lines...like them quite a bit. Anyhoo...would appreciate some input.

Thanks for line and rod input ahead of time.
The 9145 is a fantastic rod for any application, skagit or long belly and everything inbetween. For the Skeena I use the Airflo Delta mint green 10/11. The 9/10 is ok on calm days, but I love to feel this rod load. It punches through the Nov. upstream wind without much effort. I also used the Jock Monteith 9/10 63' system line with 10' tips. Excellent.

I want to try the Gaelforce 54' 10/11 or the 63' 9/10.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got a 9145 with a downlocking reel seat. I use a Nextcast FF55 that I got from Simon and it performs quite well. Also have a 790 gr. WA70 that I use on my 9/10 Walker. I'll try it on the Burkie this weekend and let you know what I think.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Montanafos,

Either it is pre-2008 9145-4 ( a bit lighter tip and more progressive then post 2008) or the current version all rods will shine with any line.

However, if I have to split a hair, pre-2008 , like mine, was more suited relatively speaking, to cast shorter heads 55' down, like Scandinavian heads.

Any Scandi head like Guideline 3D from F-H-I to I-S2-S4; 37-45' long( I did not cast faster heads then I-S2_S4) or Salar Finder 45; WA 45 by NextCast will cast and fish beautifully.

If you do have pre-2008 rod and are interested in this type of heads let me know.

·
Administrator
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Montanafos,

Either it is pre-2008 9145-4 ( a bit lighter tip and more progressive then post 2008) or the current version all rods will shine with any line.

However, if I have to split a hair, pre-2008 , like mine, was more suited relatively speaking, to cast shorter heads 55' down, like Scandinavian heads.

Any Scandi head like Guideline 3D from F-H-I to I-S2-S4; 37-45' long( I did not cast faster heads then I-S2_S4) or Salar Finder 45; WA 45 by NextCast will cast and fish beautifully.

If you do have pre-2008 rod and are interested in this type of heads let me know.
Sazan...you nailed it. It is the earlier rod and has the lighter tip. roballen mentioned a FF55 8/9 for a long belly line on it. I would certainly be interested in hearing more from you as I have many of the delta and delta long lines currently. I'm sure I'll put the FF55 or WA 55 on it at some point.

Rob also mentioned that they may be able to build me another top section, but to your point said we were splitting hairs.

The guy I bought the rod said when he bought it from Kerry...Kerry mentioned that he really liked the rod's action and it was the first 4 pc rod he felt strongly about. So, I'm kind of excited to see what this rod feels like.

Thanks for the post. I've become accustomed to the slower Sage's I've had to this point so it will be an interesting new challenge with these rods. I have just a couple graphite III brownies left (9140, 8150) and have made the transition to the burkies. I'm confident I'll get along just fine with them...just need to get some time on the water with them. A single session with an 8152 was all it took.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
On the pre-2008 ( mine is 2006 or 2007) I like Delta 55 ( old version, they are really in 52-54' long) 9/10, though 8/9, for underhand cast with a predominant power application coming form the bottom hand works great if one likes moderately light load.

Guideline triple density F-H-I full length 9/10 with 12' fluorocarbon leader ( or 6-7' light type 3 polyleader in 30-40 gr max), or cut 12-18" form the back ( 570-600 gr) over 43-44' works great or 10/11 cut to 585-595 gr/40'6".

For a F-H-S2 or I-S2-S4 a bit less weight 570-585 gr is better for me.

On CFB 8152-4 NC Salar Finder 8/9 ( 510 body + Rio 85 gr 10' tip ) works perfectly, though again, if you like underhand cast cut 12-16" form the back.

I have not cast on my 9145-4 Salar Finder 8/9 but have feeling it would work great and pruning up to 18" form he back is not an issue, as it has 6-8' of leveled rear belly.

If the new version has a stronger tip, and consequently flexes a butt deeper, then it would be relatively better for casting Skagit Heads.

Rio ASF currently known are 39' long, 585 gr Steelhead Scandi is so Sweet on the
the 9145-4, with 15' leader, 10' polyleader up to 60 gr.

May be Rob would like to make some comments regarding the newer version, as I am not sure if it has only a stronger tip or some other sections were alter or beefed up too.

·
Administrator
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Sazan. I have the older Delta's and will play with those a bit. I don't expect to cast a skagit head with the rod any time soon so the heavier tip is not a necessity for me.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
On GL Triple density 10/11 the front 8' has weight density around 9.5 gr / foot ( near T-10) and a good size fly like this gets a free flying lesson on a Single Spey with 9145-4. The same on Salar Finder F-S2 with 3 or 6"/ sec 10' 85 gr tip and 8152-4

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just got back from testing the WA70 790 gr on my 9145. It handles it nicely. About 25' shorter distance than with my 16'6", but still makes for a nice backup. The reality is that I use the 9145 primarily with a Skaget setup. It makes for a great all around rod if I could only have one rod. Can't bring myself to put the Skaget on the B and W.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts