Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a 8/9 midspey and like the mass of this line. I use it for my winter stuff and fish tips most often but dont really like it when I connect the floater......yuck. I am wondering if one of the carron lines or the IG partridge lines might be a sweet setup. Has anyone fished the these lines on this length Burkie?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fred,
The midspey 8/9 is about 650grns. What Partridge line in the short head would compare? Should I look at a Carron line too?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great FBK guys. Souns like some prefer the heavy load and some prefer a lighter load. I was dinking arround with my 2003 long Delta spey 9/10 and it is about perfect for line weight and head length for me. Which of the Carrons closely match this line for head mass. Thanks in advance for the replies.

McSquidly

·
Registered
959 Posts
Carron's official specs are: 9/10 65' 747 grains, 10/11 75' 861 grains.
My measured lines: 9/10 65' 740 grains , 75' 10/11 830 grains.
Ian replied to my question about his lines in 2005. The IG lines: 9/10 (65') is 46g (710 grains) 10/11 (75') is 50g (772 grains)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see that the Carron 9/10 65' is about 747 grns. I called Airflo today and was told that the mass of the Delta 65' 9/10 weighs 720grns. Would the difference be very noticable? Does anyone have a Carron 9/10 65' they would be willing to sell?

·
loco alto!
3,226 Posts
The difference is not comparable directly. Some of the Carron grains are held in the rod guides as part of the long rear taper. In contrast, the entire head of a Delta Long can be held outside the tip top.

Because of this, it takes a heavier Carron than Delta Long to get equivalent rod loading

·
Registered
959 Posts
I just re-weighed my 9/10 Jetstream (65'). It weighs 711 grains at 65'. I was estimating its weight before as I couldn't locate the exact number (so much for memory). I really think you'd prefer the 10/11 on the Burkie (I agree with Steve regarding weight/taper). It's a great line. The only IG line I have is a 9/10 65' sinker and I think the Jetstream is a better line.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm, This is very helpful info, I think. I am at an impass as to which line to buy, as I can see the reasoning in both the 9/10 and 10/11. I think the solution would be to string up both line weights and cast, cast, cast. Who is selling these lines in the US and is it possible to order both and do a bit of a test of preference?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.