Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

***Rod has been sold, thank you to everyone who inquired.***

Several months ago I bought a Burkheimber 8139-3C (Classic), new. Here's a picture:

Edit: Although I purchased the rod new from a retailer -- and it was new when I first fished it -- the rod may have been built prior to 2013 since it's got an up-locking seat. I did not custom order this rod from Burkheimer. Thanks for the informative PM.

I love the rod, but I have some problems which I'll enumerate below:

1. The rod doesn't fit in my car very well. Being a graduate student and city dweller I can't really do anything to change this situation at the moment or in the near future.
2. It's too much rod for 99% of the fishing I do.
3. I don't think I'll be able to do much winter fishing for a few years (life).

I'm not looking to turn a profit and I don't want to give the eBay extortion machine my money. Rather, I'm hoping to turn this rod into something more usable on the local rivers: a nice 2-4wt trout spey. My ideal trades would be a Winston or Sage in 3wt. I'll consider a cash sale if a trade doesn't work out soon (see a couple posts down). I live in Southern California and will ship to the continental US. I would also be willing to sell this rod + all lines including shipping for $650. You pay PayPal fees but I also can take Venmo, Google Wallet, or Chase QuickPay.

The rod is in very good condition, having only been fished 3 times in total. Serial:

The cork has been gently cared for and is clean. Note that the reel seat is up-locking. From both sides:

The female ferrules are undamaged.

The rest of the pictures are in another post further down.

Please let me know if you're interested. I also have a few Skagit/Scandi heads and a few Rio tips that I'll toss in with the rod. In particular, I've got a 600gr Airflo Skagit Compact head which is barely used but was the line recommended by the Burkheimer folks when I called in.

In the spirit of full disclosure, here are the lines I'll throw in:
1. Airflo Skagit Compact Gen II (600gr/25ft) - like new
2. Rio Skagit Max Long (600gr/29ft) - very good condition
3. SA Scandi Extreme (560gr/38ft) - new in box
4. Rio 10ft floating heavy MOW - very good condition
5. Rio 10ft 5/5 iMow - very good condition
6. Rio 10ft heavy T-14 MOW - very good condition

Also, I recognize this is my first post so some may be wary. I can verify my identity through Facebook, eBay, and through a professional (.edu) email.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have a 3wt eight Echo 3110-4 TR , 4/5 weight Beulah Classic and a 5wt sage z-axis. I also have reels that balance these rods out well. Thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
All PMs have been replied to.

I added the pictures here to avoid spamming the classifieds with unnecessary bumps.

Full pictures of the rod from both sides:

Last but not least, the tip sections. The stuff that looks like dirt/oil on the male tips is wear.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Trades

Hey I have 11'4 4wt burkheimer trout Spey that I would be willing to part with. Its a custom build that my friend made for me I shaped the handle my self and he did the wrapping and guides and reel seat are all from burkheimer. It's a nice rod I did shape the handle a little bit different but it's comfortable and nice to cast. I just found it a little to soft for my taste so I picked up a 11'5 5wt and I can't see my self using the 4wt again. If you are interested let me know I do live in Canada which might be a problem? Not sure. I got a 300 grain airflo Scandi comp I'll give you as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I PMed you back. Please let me know if you do not receive it.

Hey I have 11'4 4wt burkheimer trout Spey that I would be willing to part with. Its a custom build that my friend made for me I shaped the handle my self and he did the wrapping and guides and reel seat are all from burkheimer. It's a nice rod I did shape the handle a little bit different but it's comfortable and nice to cast. I just found it a little to soft for my taste so I picked up a 11'5 5wt and I can't see my self using the 4wt again. If you are interested let me know I do live in Canada which might be a problem? Not sure. I got a 300 grain airflo Scandi comp I'll give you as well.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
How old is this rod? The end cap on the bottom handle is not one i'm familiar with BUT..this is IMHO one of the best winter rods out there...

I saw it says you bought it new a few months ago, was it from burkie or ?

Thanks,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
How old is this rod? The end cap on the bottom handle is not one i'm familiar with BUT..this is IMHO one of the best winter rods out there...

I saw it says you bought it new a few months ago, was it from burkie or ?

Thanks,
I purchased this rod from a retailer rather than through Burkheimer. I updated the OP earlier to address this point, but I'll paste it here for clarity:

Edit: Although I purchased the rod new -- and it was new when I first fished it -- the rod may have been built prior to 2013 since it's got an up-locking seat. I did not custom order this rod from Burkheimer. Thanks for the informative PM.
If anyone is concerned about the age of the rod I'd be happy to call Burkheimer tomorrow and get some details.

Also, yes, it's a fantastic stick and a joy to cast. The part where it doesn't really fit in my car is the deal killer...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts