Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any practical advantages of Burkheimer 13’9” 7/8/9 vs. Guideline LeCie 13’7” 8/9 from casting and fishing point of view ( spey lines and shooting heads, fighting power, stiffness, recovery ).

Martin

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Both excellent

I have fished both and they are both excellent sticks. Kerry makes one of the best US made actions around. Good bend and quick recovery. The Cie series from Guideline is not quite as quick on the load but the tip recovers like a rifle shot and it throws laser beam loops. On the Cie be sure not to underline it, get the bend down to the hands.

You cannot go wrong with these two rods.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speyman,

Could you list the lines (WindCutter) and shooting for both rods as well as weight/length for heads?

Can the both rods handle the same fish or one is more powerful then another?

Thanks
Martin

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Ok

The 13'9 had a custom made shooting head on which was about 45 feet including the sink tip. I am not sure what it weighed in at and the guy who made it was insulted when I asked him.

The Cie 8/9 rocks at about 28 grams(430gr). The head length is about 35 feet and a 9-12' poly leader is put to the end of it resulting in about 45 feet of head length.

I have one I can send you to play with if you like.

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
I find that the 8139 takes a WC 7/8/9 (525 gr) for light load, 8/9/10 (585 gr) for medium load, and 9/10/11 (650 gr) for deep load. It will cast all three lines well depending on your preference - truly - this rod has a wide grain window.

I don't use shooting head lines on this rod often, but for reference, a decent shooting-type line for the 8139 is a WC 9/10/11 cut back to 400 grains @ 29', then with 150 gr tips (15' of 10 wt tips) added for a total of 550 gr over 44'

I know a lot of folks are really hot on the vision heads, they're pretty short, maybe some will chime in.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
The Vision ACE heads.

Fisrt time I'd ever heard of these was last year at the 'mini-'Clave' at Tou Velle Park where Gary Anderson had one loaded on his new 13-9 7wt 2-hander. On the end he had a 15' clear med-sink poly tip. A ROCKET to cast.

$550'ish dollars later (and a few weeks) I had my own. First tried several of my existing lines, worked, but not impressive. Called Gary and had him load up the rod with one of these. (450 grains plus the clear poly sink tip). Back to blast off!

I've now run 15' RIO (regular) leaders, 8wt 15' full sink tips, and 10' sinking leaders. Other than the need to change the casting stroke all pop right out there with a two heavy fly config. The 15' leader (with second fly, closer to 17 feet overall) appears to be over kill for the short head, so something shorter would probably be in order.

Other than that, Gotta Love it!
Fred

·
Banned
161 Posts
8139 & Vision 9/10

Just got back from the Deschutes where I spent a fair amount to time with the Burkie 8139 and the Vision Ace 9/10. I fished with both a 14' Airflo Intermediate poly leader and a Rio 15' tapered leader. The combo handled the big winds and proved quite capable.

I know that SSpey fished a Skagit 550 in comparable conditions a few weeks earlier. The 550 would be my choice when throwing bigger flies or heavy sink-tips. If fishing smaller flies in less ideal conditions, I will opt for the Vision Ace. If conditions cooperate, I will choose the Delta Long 7/8 or CND 7/8.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JGS,

Have you used Vision 9/10 out of box( 10.90 meters/478 grains) or the head was cut back?
If cut back how much?

Thanks

Martin

·
Banned
161 Posts
Straight Out the Box!

I used the Vision Ace 9/10 uncut with a rear loop attached. Have played with both the Guideline floating shooting line and the Airflo Braid.

The 8139 has a flex pattern that feels great under a wide window of grain weights. At 478, the Vision head loads the rod nicely, but is still pleasant to throw about all day without making the rod feel mushy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts