Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 489-4 DAL from Burkheimer and I absolutely love it. It's perfect for casts between 15-50 ft and I've slayed more bluegill and bass with it thN I can count. I'm looking to replace my current 6wt and I was looking at another Burkie. I mostly use my 6wt for bass on farm ponds, smallmouth for rivers no wider than ~60 ft or so, and on a small trout stream for throwing smaller streamers to stocked browns. I'm debating between the 689-4 DAL or the 690-4. Does anyone have any experience with these rods that they could share?

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
I searched for a SH rod to love for a long time, including buying and then selling some of the usual suspects. But my heart came to rest when I built one on the DAL 590 blank. The deeper action is not too centered near the current mainstream fad for very fast actions, but that one - finally - fit me like a glove. Those are great dry fly rods, and make very nice rods for SH Spey as well. Some day I hope to be worthy of mine. Or at least more worthy.

·
Hacker
616 Posts
There is a very good thread on burkheimer single handers from a few years ago. Lots of good info.

·
Dom
3,157 Posts
Recently acquired 9' 5 weight (non DAL version). Lined it up with my favorite Rio Gold #5 and I have to say it is asking for a 6wt line. Its more of a 6wt rod even though it's rated as 4/5/6. Same goes for the 695-4 that I did a wiggle test with, more of a 7wt rod. Don't have any experience with any of their other single handers but if you are looking for a light 6 weight rod a 590-4 regular action might be the rod you are looking for.

Reactions: coug

·
Registered
65 Posts
I searched for a SH rod to love for a long time, including buying and then selling some of the usual suspects. But my heart came to rest when I built one on the DAL 590 blank. The deeper action is not too centered near the current mainstream fad for very fast actions, but that one - finally - fit me like a glove. Those are great dry fly rods, and make very nice rods for SH Spey as well. Some day I hope to be worthy of mine. Or at least more worthy.
I am in total agreement with you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I m
I've been seriously thinking about replacing all of my single handers with DAL's after receiving the 489-4 DAL. I'm just not into the broomstick thing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Recently acquired 9' 5 weight (non DAL version). Lined it up with my favorite Rio Gold #5 and I have to say it is asking for a 6wt line. Its more of a 6wt rod even though it's rated as 4/5/6. Same goes for the 695-4 that I did a wiggle test with, more of a 7wt rod. Don't have any experience with any of their other single handers but if you are looking for a light 6 weight rod a 590-4 regular action might be the rod you are looking for.
That's what I'm afraid of. I already have a 7wt and I don't need to cast probably more than 45 feet or so in most situations so I was leaning towards the 689 DAL but I haven't found anyone who own one yet. I'll have to look into the 590.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a very good thread on burkheimer single handers from a few years ago. Lots of good info.
Thanks for the heads up. I went though some of the single hand threads when I was deciding on my 489 and it seemed no one had mentioned much other than the 489, 590, 595, or 695. I'll have to go digging again.

Reactions: coug

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
It is for these practical short tactics that my trout armour is primarily bamboo with a mix of old Scott G or some more modern boutique fiberglass. Though I have eyed the DAL.

Now liking the bamboo and fiberglass it has to be acknowledge a long rod is 8', so if you want reach, then you need to look at graphite, and thus why i have looked at the DALs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is for these practical short tactics that my trout armour is primarily bamboo with a mix of old Scott G or some more modern boutique fiberglass. Though I have eyed the DAL.

Now liking the bamboo and fiberglass it has to be acknowledge a long rod is 8', so if you want reach, then you need to look at graphite, and thus why i have looked at the DALs.
I currently use an Epic Fastglass II 686, but I'm just not crazy about it. It's almost too fast for a fiberglass rod, believe it or not.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I borrowed SLSS's DAL 6wt and it was wonderful. I believe I would be happy with any of Burk's DAL sticks.

As a side note, I'm also not a fan of fast sticks either. I absolutely love my original Scott G 3wt. I've fallen in heavy favor with G Loomis IMX single handers, thats a fun medium fast action for half the price of a premium stick. And also, the new Sage LL is wonderful too, if rather expensive.

Reactions: Botsari

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
FWIW I also have a Steve Godshall 6wt quantum blank that is very comparable in action to my DAL. Those are very similar - I would characterize them as equivalent - and while still at the premium end of things, a bit more economical to acquire. And the resulting build qualities are every bit the match of the burkies. So even though they are not in the majority at the moment there ARE a number of rods like this available out there.

·
Hacker
616 Posts
I own the 595, 695, and 489. Burkheimer recommended stepping up to a 1/2 size heavy line for the 595. I fished the airflow superdri on it for several years and it was good, but this year tried the SA true to weight line and like you I thought it wanted more. I was at a shop earlier this year that sold Burkie single handers and the owner commented that people do not realize the non-DAL rods are fast, and he also said they like more line than the rating; he recommended a Rio Grand. My 489 is an older two-piece and Kerry said it would have an action close to the DAL. That and my poppycane 4wt bamboo have me set for dries and soft hackles in the areas I fish during summer. Both are just great rods.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I borrowed SLSS's DAL 6wt and it was wonderful. I believe I would be happy with any of Burk's DAL sticks.

As a side note, I'm also not a fan of fast sticks either. I absolutely love my original Scott G 3wt. I've fallen in heavy favor with G Loomis IMX single handers, thats a fun medium fast action for half the price of a premium stick. And also, the new Sage LL is wonderful too, if rather expensive.
I've eyed building up a Sage LL blank. The original LL's are legendary!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I own the 595, 695, and 489. Burkheimer recommended stepping up to a 1/2 size heavy line for the 595. I fished the airflow superdri on it for several years and it was good, but this year tried the SA true to weight line and like you I thought it wanted more. I was at a shop earlier this year that sold Burkie single handers and the owner commented that people do not realize the non-DAL rods are fast, and he also said they like more line than the rating; he recommended a Rio Grand. My 489 is an older two-piece and Kerry said it would have an action close to the DAL. That and my poppycane 4wt bamboo have me set for dries and soft hackles in the areas I fish during summer. Both are just great rods.
I think I may have to snag up a 689 DAL or maybe on of the 6 wt streamer rods from Burkheimer.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I currently use an Epic Fastglass II 686, but I'm just not crazy about it. It's almost too fast for a fiberglass rod, believe it or not.
Yeah, I have either James Green, Kabuto or Tom Morgan in fiberglass. All close in rods, though the Tom Morgon gives me a little more gas with a double haul. Though I can get a little more speed with this 4wt, I am probably doing a DH to dry a fly out or I just tied on a BIG bug or a head wind just blow in and I must hit the bank and plopping down a grasshopper.

Fast casts and tight loops with a wet and a tiny fly under is not a good combo.

I am there to enjoy fishing and marathon casts are not required.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Yes, an old LL is good, but I wonder if Sage still has the soul to design something slow. They are good people, but is this like asking the guys at Harley to design something like a Ducati!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I have either James Green, Kabuto or Tom Morgan in fiberglass. All close in rods, though the Tom Morgon gives me a little more gas with a double haul. Though I can get a little more speed with this 4wt, I am probably doing a DH to dry a fly out or I just tied on a BIG bug or a head wind just blow in and I must hit the bank and plopping down a grasshopper.

Fast casts and tight loops with a wet and a tiny fly under is not a good combo.

I am there to enjoy fishing and marathon casts are not required.
Those Kabuto rods are beautiful! I'm generally a bigger/faster is better kind of guy, but I guess I'm starting to slow down a little hahaha. I enjoy bending a rod to the cork. Doing it with a fish is great, but I'd settle for just a nice day of casting.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I can't do a side by side- I have a 6 DAL, and a 3 Trout- don't at the moment recall the configuration. 8'9 maybe- I haven't even had my first cup yet.

I love the 3- it's a little powerhouse. I often fish it with a four wt to settle it down a little, and have used a five a few times when I'm on small water. It will throw lasers, and it has landed my largest dry fly fish to date and 26/27 in brown. Ive cast the Burkie trouts in heavier weights, and they are across the board, wonderful, powerful sticks.

Kerry was at an event at the local fly shop a couple years ago, and I wanted to try a bunch of rods and visit. As soon as I picked up a DAL I was in love. While the trout series is powerful, it also demands from you. The DAL is my All Day Rod- a relaxed, easy going cast that never leaves me anything other than relaxed. You're not going to launch the full line, but from a rod length to 60/70 ft, you've got a really sweet fishing/casting tool that leaves me happily mellow at the end of the day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts