Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Santa left a new 9135-4 Burkie under the tree. I am wondering how this rod differs from my 9145-4. Has anyone had experience with the new stick?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Santa left a new 9135-4 Burkie under the tree. I am wondering how this rod differs from my 9145-4. Has anyone had experience with the new stick?
It is 1 foot shorter. :chuckle: No experience, just wanted to say congrats on the new rod!:smokin:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
the 9135-4 is the go too chinook rod. if you want to go to AK or BC salmon fishing that's the rod you want.. Although it's wonderful to cast it's primary purpose is moving big fish. It has more fish fighting power than the 9145 but only because it is shorter and therefore a better lever. look to throw Skagits in the 600- 660 range

it would also be a good heavy winter steelhead rod..

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Compare to 9145-4 ( I have 2007 model) , the 9135-4 is faster and at least feels more progressive. Works very well with various Scandi heads. For Steelehad, I like Guideline 3D adjustable heads in 570-590 gr ( I-S2-S4, F-I-S2,F-I-S2). Another good head is Rio Scandi Versitip with 15', 129 gr tips combine with either floating or intermediate, 23' body, 450 gr).

This rod will not overpower a 10-12 lb wild, relatively fresh Skeena Steelhead and at the same time will land the largest swimming Steelhead in North America.

Also, when winds pick up and you are tired after many days/weeks of fishing, a shorter rod is your friend.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Congrats!

To me 9135-4 is one of the best rods to cast scandi heads. I agree with Sazan about the comparison with 9145-4. I have about 2 years old 9145-4.

Enjoy! I personally don't own this rod yet but I will some day! I have casted/fished with it several times and I am convinced about the goodness of it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

Thank you gentlemen, this is just the information I was seeking. The wife and I are headed to Mendocino for some R&R and the place we are staying is at the mouth of the Little River. High tide is early in the a.m. when she will still be sleeping so the gear is in the boot and the new rod will get a good tryout. Flows and clarity look optimal and there's no rain in the forecast - might get lucky...

Happy New Year!

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
One more thing, if you own CFB 8134-4 and happen to have an additional strong ( S) tip version for 8134-4, then you already have a spare tip for your 9135-4, as both these tips are interchangeable.

BTW, when adjusting Guideline F-H-I head on 9135-4, I started with ca. 630 gr and the rod has handled 630 gr very well. Since I prefer a lighter touch, I settled on ca. 580 gr.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have fished the 9135 quite a bit, mostly in Alaska for King salmon where it is by far my favorite rod for that task. It's also a great winter steelhead rod that will land fish quick and get them back in the river. The tempo is a bit quicker than your 9145 but since I have fished with you I don't think you will have any problems with the 9135. You will find it to be a very handy rod to fish up in BC or even a trip to Russia fishing early season with high water when heavy tips or multi density lines are the norm. It's a really awsome rod. If you need help lining it feel free to shoot me an email or PM me here at speypages.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I'm just pretty damn impressed with your Santa that seems to have picked you a sweet rod without your direct circled-on-the-catalog-page, phone-number-and-exact-specifications-written-out, or email-with-direct-link input. Well played.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Strong candidate ...

I'm just pretty damn impressed with your Santa that seems to have picked you a sweet rod without your direct circled-on-the-catalog-page, phone-number-and-exact-specifications-written-out, or email-with-direct-link input. Well played.
For "Post of the Day."

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And it's a vintage grade with extra tip. This particular Santa doesn't fool around...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts