Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at stepping up to a longer rod for the Clearwater this year and I am strongly considering this stick. My question is I currently am using Danielsson L5W 8twelve reels on my 13' rods. Will this reel still balance out a 14'2" in spey rod, or should I upsize to something a little higher capacity like the Danielsson H5D 9thirteen? Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have an 8142, I am able to comfortably use the same reel (current Hardy Bougle 4”) that I use on my 13’ 7 weight. Hopefully a Danielsson user will chime in, but I would try your L5W 8twelve.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I think your reel would suffice capacity wise, but I have doubts it would balance the rod to your liking. Danielssons are wonderful reels, but they are very light and I question if it would balance the new Burkie. But individual preferences govern--I prefer a reel too heavy to one too light and others the opposite.

·
loco alto!
3,250 Posts
The 8/12 and 9/13 have the same capacity, pretty lean for a mid-long 8 wt spey line, I suggest you’d be better off with the 11/14 capacity for the 8142 … but equally important, consider looking instead for a slightly heavier reel 10-12 oz empty. I use a lot of Danielsson reels, not a brand issue, just weight.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 8/12 and 9/13 have the same capacity, pretty lean for a mid-long 8 wt spey line, I suggest you’d be better off with the 11/14 capacity for the 8142 … but equally important, consider looking instead for a slightly heavier reel 10-12 oz empty. I use a lot of Danielsson reels, not a brand issue, just weight.
I'm not a Danielsson fanboy by any means. I like their reels and have several, they are a good value and have never let me down. I was more concerned about the weight/counter-balance issue than spool capacity. Probably should have stated that better in my original post...Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have this rod and several other longer Burkies. I have the Danielsson reels you are talking about, along with a couple of the Control reels.

The HD 9/13 will not balance the rod. It won't even come close. Neither will the next model up. I bought a couple hoping they would balance my longer rods, but alas, they were all too light.

I've gone to using Danielsson Control 8/13, will come very close to balancing the rod. That reel weighs 317 g. In contrast, the HD 9/13 weighs 247 g.

I think anything above 300 g feels "ok" but its better to be in the 215-325 g range for the rod you mention.

Best of luck

·
loco alto!
3,250 Posts
The HD 9/13 will not balance the rod. It won't even come close.
Here’s comes smarty pants with a clarification.

The current H5D 9/13 weighs 8.7 oz empty.
The original HD 9/13 weighs 10.5 oz. A beefier frame and drag knob adds weight. Comparison photo below.

Agree the H5D 9/13 is definitely too light. The old HD 9/13 could work, though the HD 10/14 is my reeal preference for longer rods.

Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Auto part

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I am leaning toward the H5D 11/14, perhaps with a few wraps of lead core under the backing.... Any other reel suggestions for a Burkie 8142-4 in the $400-550 range would be great. Many thanks for all of the above responses.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hahah.

Thanks dude. I wondered if my older ones were the same as the newer ones. I still find my older HD 9/13 won't balance it. Do you feel the same?

I looked at my notes and also believe the new control is slightly lighter. Mine weigh 11.4 oz. I find it is even a little light in the pants.

Still, I think you are right about the HD 10/14. Big enough.

And as OP said, he could add some weight.

Thanks brother.[/QUOTE]

·
loco alto!
3,250 Posts
The original HD 9/13 might work for some, lighter end. I like to go a bit heavy, easier to hold up the rod tip for stack mends to the Thill. Big problem with the HD is rarity. Maybe on Swedish craigslist? Svenslist? In a fit of stupidity, I listed my HD 11/14 for sale here many years ago, am glad it languished long enough to be pulled back.

·
Registered
644 Posts
This really comes down to personal preference. The Burky 8142 is one of my favorite rods, great for the Clearwater in most situations and equally at home on the Skagit in winter. It's a light rod and in my opinion you take away the charm by putting a heavy ass reel on it. My personal favorites are Hardy bougle 4", the new hardy perfect 4", and my old peerless 4A spey which weighs 7.9 ounces. Tried running a Saracione 4" and it was uncomfortably heavy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts