Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of bying this rod but I have never tried one so it would be nice if anyone could describe the action of the rod? What lines will suits the rod?
I have a Loomis Greased line Glx 15' 10/11 and would like an action similar to that one. I tried the 14' 8/9 but found it to be a little bit too powerful. Also had a T&T 1309-3 which i liked and a 1510-3 that i didn't like (way too stiff inn the butt section). Maybe this will give you some ideas of what I'm looking for?

Also curious about Meiser rods in lengths 13-14' 8/9 or 9/10. Anyone tried both brands and can tell me differences in the performance?

The rod will be used for atlantic salmon (normally 5-25pounds) in Norway, basically with sinking shooting heads and possibly some 65' mid bellys floaters.

gub

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
there has been so much written about the 8139, but I suppose a comparison to the Loomis 14' 8/9 isn't one of them, so here goes.

I really like both rods. For me they both have great feel/flex across the entire blank at all distances. The Loomis is definitely the stronger and stiffer of the two rods. Some attribute the fast feel of the Loomis to a fast recovery rate, which it definitely has, but I am also certain that it is a noticeably stiffer rod than the 8139 - more resistance to bending. I fish the 8139 regularly. When I first tried the Loomis, my thoughts were "what an awesome rod, but a bit too stiff." I felt the same way about the Meiser Highlander 14' 8/9/10 - wonderful feel and action across the entire blank with fast recovery - but like the Loomis it was more powerful than I wanted. I have not tried the Highlander 7/8/9, but have heard great things, and have liked every Highlander that I've tried thus far.

I also fish the Loomis 15' 8/9, so I'm a fan of this general category of rod actions. They're all winners in my book (something that I rarely say), but some are more powerful than others.

If you order from either Burkheimer or Meiser, be sure to specify the cork lengths and such to get exactly what you want. There's nothing quite like saying "I want such and such" and then getting a rod that has it, exactly.

good luck

·
Registered
247 Posts
Burkie

Hi Gub,
I've been fishing the 13'9" Burkheimer for three years. I think with regards to the action some call it a gentleman's rod. I find it crisp, full flexing, not too powerful. One of the best sticks I've ever fished for mending line. Some other softer rods and skagit style rods do not mend the line positively, you make a roll but the line doesn't follow for a couple beats -- there's a lag time involved. Anyway, it's my favorite rod, a very direction connection to the line with casting and to the fish on the other end. A little too much power for 4 - 7 pound fish, about right with 8 - 12 pounders. The few larger fish I have hooked brought my heart into my throat, but that's as it should be and the Burkheimer eventually subdued them. Can't go wrong is my advice. Keith
PS Have used the 8/9 Midspey and Rio Skagit 550, plus the 7/9 regular length Delta. I'm looking to get a 7/8 CND line, which I cast on grass and which seemed to perform best of all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for answering.
Anyone tried the Meiser S2H136-8/9 , how would this rod campare to the Burkheimer? I belive the Meiser is a faster and stiffer rod of the two but that's just my guess. My next rod will possibly be one of the two but it's hard to choose when it's not poosible to try before I buy! I would appreciate any input of the two rods.

gub

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Gub,

If you wish, drop me a message.

Pretty simple for me to send you a field test rod to try hands-on.

I do this sort of thing often, so no worries.

... Then you can be the judge for yourself as to whether the rod is a good fit.

Meiz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts