Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I'm looking at buying this rod, looked around online, talked to a few people, and heard/read only great things about it. I guess the only bad is replacement time if broken. Anybody have any opinions on this rod (I'd love to hear from some people who don't like it and why)? Anyone who owns one, what reel (Is a Ross Big Game #6 big enough) and line do you prefer with this rod?

Thanks, Chad

·
Registered
737 Posts
It's a terrific rod, as most people will tell you. I don't know about the BG 6, but that sounds about right. I use either a Marquis Salmon 2 or a Tibor Riptide, and both balance the rod beautifully. As for lines, the 7/8 delta and the 7/8 xlt (if you cut the last 10 feet off) both work beautifully, at least for the way I cast. I found the 8/9 xlt too heavy. It can throw tips, but I consider it a floater rod primarily. Don't know about the return time, since I've never had to return it for repairs. Rob Allen can speak to that, I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The BG 6 may be ok for short belly lines but is not big enough for long belly lines - I have the BG 7 and 8; The xlt 7/8 fits ok on the BG 7. The xlt 9/10 is a tight fit on the BG 8

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Chad, go to Carnation this Sat. morning. Meiser will be there with his rods. A lot of people with a world of knowledge will be there also. Great opportunity to cast many rods and lines. They gather at the confluence of the Tolt and Snoqualmie rivers. Turn off the road just north of the bridge over the Tolt at the south edge of Carnation.

Rich

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
I bought this rod after casting most other rods in similar configurations from makers large and small. I love it. Search this site under "8139" to read about this stick, especially line preferences.

I would characterize it as definitely faster than Sage traditionals, but quite a bit firmer and more responsive. Very little rod bounce at all, well designed.

With a smooth firm casting stroke, you can push hard to really chuck long lengths of line, if that's your bag. I mostly use it for floating line work (prefer longer rods in winter), but still it handles tips well. It would easily be an "all rounder" rod. It is exceedingly easy to cast, automatic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot guys- really appreciate the input. I was unable to get to Carnation this wkend- long way from Port Angeles. Best to all! Chad

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
I thought that Water's West carried these rods?

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
loco_alto said:
I thought that Water's West carried these rods?

I did not know you could get the Burkie 13'9" 8 wt anywhere but from the maker. Who carries this rod in stock and at what prices?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Waters West does have some models in stock sometimes, but from what I know (which isn't much) seems like they go pretty quick- not sure on the price

·
Registered
2 Posts
Burkie service

Chad--I've had the 8139-3 a couple of years and found it to be an terrific all-around spey rod. After returning from BC about a year ago, I realized that the airport security folks had damaged the 8139 during an inspection. Two weeks after I sent it away it was back to me, and at about a $50 charge. Outstanding service from a small custom rod designer IMHO.
As was suggested, search the site for other comments, but I think you'll find it's one of those exceptional rods/designs. Having said that, what matters is what matters to you. So, try to cast one, if at all possible.
Ron

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Chad

I don't think you'll find that negative opinion or that devil's advocate your looking for to balance the scales. At least I'm hoping you don't. The reason I say this is because the 8139 is the third reason why my wife has sent me to the dog house this fall. By the way, it's the one rod I'm willing to go there over...I feel very strongly about all three but the Burkie is very special.
All Rounders will create those idea's and those's type's a feeling's in people. They some how transcend to places the specialized rod's can't... Just do it! and in ten years from now you'll understand why you did. Better yet you won't understand why you gave it so much thought.

Good Luck Tom

·
Registered
124 Posts
Burkheimer

You can buy Burkheimer rods at The Ashland Outdoor Store (Oregon). Last time I was in there they had an 8139. Some custom rod makers can get Burkheimer blanks and build you a rod. I like the rods Gary Andersons builds. He could probably make one for you.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
RonOtto said:
Chad--I've had the 8139-3 a couple of years and found it to be an terrific all-around spey rod. After returning from BC about a year ago, I realized that the airport security folks had damaged the 8139 during an inspection. Two weeks after I sent it away it was back to me, and at about a $50 charge. Outstanding service from a small custom rod designer IMHO.
As was suggested, search the site for other comments, but I think you'll find it's one of those exceptional rods/designs. Having said that, what matters is what matters to you. So, try to cast one, if at all possible.
Ron
Have two Burkie rods, and love them both to BITS. Only other rod designer/builde that puts out an equal product is (as mentioned above) Bob Meiser. As to 'repair service,' did something VERY stupid and broke the tip on one of the rods. Rob/Carry had the rod repaired/wrapped and back to me in well unde two weeks. Would have been sooner but I was off to the Deschutes and no one here (save for the cat) to accept the package.

Cost? Roll/re-wrap the tip section and postage: $62.00. :D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
if i'm correct

and probably not,as i thought they were 13-6 lenght,,,but the ACR built one that i had was,is a fantastic casting tool,precise casting yeilds precise results at long distances,but like all shortspeys,,you must be on your game as you're commanding a lot of line with very little rodlength to cover any mistakes in timing by the caster,,only thing i could complain about was the reelseet was 1 1/2-2 inches to low on the blank for me,but without other rods of similar length,action,,,you would not be able to compare the balance,and,if custom built,you could have any reelseet,anywhere,so,,,Meiser's the man :) ,now,if i had the 18 ft. Burkie,,,, :hihi:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Sorry Chad, I blathered on and didn't respond to all your ?

Chad T said:
Hello,

I'm looking at buying this rod, looked around online, talked to a few people, and heard/read only great things about it. I guess the only bad is replacement time if broken. Anybody have any opinions on this rod (I'd love to hear from some people who don't like it and why)? Anyone who owns one, what reel (Is a Ross Big Game #6 big enough) and line do you prefer with this rod?

Thanks, Chad
Usually have the rod loaded with the SA 7/8 XLT; the 7/8 long belly Airflo delta is a tad light, the 8/9 xlt a tad heavy (for my 'style' of casting). For tips a cut back WC 8-9-10 appears to load the rod very nicely for either type 3-6 tips or up to 6 foot (as far as I've gone anyway) T-14.

Rod is typically used for med-low/high water flows where BIG AND HEAVY fly's are needed to get down and keep them there. Tons! of casting/lifting power in this Burkie rod.

Leaving Meiz's rods out of the mix, if I could only have two spey rods for summer/winter fishing it would be this rods, and it's 'shorter' sister the 13-6-3 (which still remains THE spey rod/Bench Mark I judge ALL other rods against due to the pure pleasure of casting/fishing.)

As a personal 'side-bar' the Burkie 13'6" (at the moment, mentally blank on the line designations) is the only rod I choose/found that you can take a complete 'newbie' (and that includes my two grand-sons who never held a fishing rod in their hands) and teach them 'reasonable fishing' spey casting in 30'ish minutes. No mean feat .. it's the rod, not the instructor.

To balance the 8wt rod I use a Reddington 12/13 small arbor reel; lighter reel for the 13/6.

·
Registered
8 Posts
chad
I live in Joyce .I don't have a current spey fishing partner. I fish the Hoh, and Sol Duc
often. Let's get together...email me if you are interested.
Dave Chastain --I'm at ferngully @tenforward.com

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
I will be up that way in early April, working and doing "other" research in the Park, and can bring my 8139. If interested, send PM or email

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the pleasure of fishing with 2 of Kerry's rod's, they are both fantastic!!! the 8139 was my first, and I was also sent to the dog house over it. I fish both the Delta 8-9, and WC 8,9 it handles tips if I have to go low, and anything that I ask of it. Highly recommend it, Deschutes Angler in Maupin carries many Burkheimer's also. www.deschutesangler.com

ENJOY!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.