Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some inspiration trying skagit patterns for bull trout in northern Canada!

If anyone has some sculpin, baitfish, minnow type of skagit patterns they do id love to see them!!

Comment below and thank you!
Light Mesh Reptile Scaled reptile Wood

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most of the Bull trout flies I know of are not ''Spey Style'' but rsther baitfish patterns. Big rabit strip flies and the likes...
Trying to find some sort of a happy medium. I love swinging and fishing two handed rods, I also love bulls. Thinking there's options out there that can achieve both. Ex) dirty hoh, bunny leach type stuff.

seeing if the community has any ideas!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Trying to find some sort of a happy medium. I love swinging and fishing two handed rods, I also love bulls. Thinking there's options out there that can achieve both. Ex) dirty hoh, bunny leach type stuff.

seeing if the community has any ideas!
I have swung for bulls in southern bc and had luck, I tend to stay away from patterns with trailer hooks. I find bulls head strike a fly more than tail grab

·
Registered
870 Posts
It’s common to see guys fish really big flies for bulls. “White chicken” is the often what guys will tell you is working. While big flies are effective, Bulls will take smaller flies as well. My biggest was landed on a 6 cm olive Scandii tube. Smaller flies are also a lot more pleasant to cast and fish.

Small fly eater below….
Water Sky Hunting Tree Plant

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm partial to MOAL leeches with barbell eyes. Any patern with lots of movement should do. They aren't renown for being very picky.... Yukon, I'm thinking important prey item would be mountain whitefish?? White all the way..... :LOL:
The amount of times i've been fishing dries for graying and a bull has tried broad-side my 15" grayling is too many too count!

·
Registered
Anything spey!
181 Posts
Wow very interesting topic sense I swing for bull trout on a river here in Oregon. I use a sculpzilla variant. White rabbit strip for the main part of the fly, red guinea for a gill plate with some flash of minnow dubbing on the shank. Also using a sculpzilla head on there as well. Very effective pattern for me in my area. I like to tie this fly in a size 8 to 6 for swinging. The size rod a 4wt for the size 8 and a 5wt for the size 6.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow very interesting topic sense I swing for bull trout on a river here in Oregon. I use a sculpzilla variant. White rabbit strip for the main part of the fly, red guinea for a gill plate with some flash of minnow dubbing on the shank. Also using a sculpzilla head on there as well. Very effective pattern for me in my area. I like to tie this fly in a size 8 to 6 for swinging. The size rod a 4wt for the size 8 and a 5wt for the size 6.
Thanks for the input my friend! might have to send you a PM to have a look at those flies...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts