Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are headed to the Bulkley from Sept. 24 to Oct. 9th. This is our first trip to the Bulkley / Morice and would appreciate any information. I will be taking my red 13 foot Outcast raft with me to assist in access. We will be staying in Smithers at the Glacier View Campground. A couple of the question that I would really appreciate some insights on are:

What are your favorite sections of the river?

What fly patterns do you prefer?

Do you know anyone that does shuttles?

Any learned insights from your experiences on the Bulkley / Morice?

Thanks for the information in advance!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Bulkley/Morice info

Hi,

There's a nice run just under the bridge where the highway goes over the Bulkley on the east end of Smithers, and there's another nice one downstream from there where there is a boat ramp on river right.

I stayed at a small campground about 5 miles up the Morice (past the mill)that has firewood and nice campsites for a few bucks a night. There's a boat launch there and the run just above the boat ramp going down past it is a very nice one. We hooked a nice steelie in there last year. About 16 miles up the Morice is another nice campground with a great pool on a long 90 degree corner (sorry I don't remember any names!). Last year this time it was full of cohos and steelies, but there were people on it all the time.

I've always fished purple, blue and black heavy flies on sink tips, but I know lots of people fish a dry line on the Bulkley especially in Sept. Stop at Oscar's in Smithers and they'll give you all the info.

Good luck!
mike

·
Registered
477 Posts
Unless you have lots of experience at class 4 water I would avoid going below Smithers, Driftwood canyon has claimed several lives - some of whom have been very experienced rivermen.
Oscars should be able to help with advise as to which of the upper streaches may be "hot" (this can change on a daily basis) and might be able to help or advise on a ferry.
speydoc

·
Registered
95 Posts
The Bulkley has the lowest water in 25 years and the poorest fishing in memory. The fishing could improve later in the month, when the fish start to park. As a consequence of the low water, none of the rapids appears particularly troublesome, but the river below Smithers does have some technical water. So, unless you are an experienced oarsman, I would follow the advice above. String leeches in black, marabous in black and blue, Green Butt Skunks as a closer fly and Type 3 sink tips for wets. Bulkley mice and other skaters for dry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I fished a nice pool several years ago at a location called Barrett Station. All I recall is the you take a left off Hwy 16, W of Houston a little ways, onto Barrett Station Road, then take a rough road off right to the CN Bridge and the river itself. Perhaps someone else viewing this reply can give you a more up to date status of that location.

Also the Trout Ck pool about 10kms W of Smithers is well known. It is right on the Hwy opposite the general store of the same name.

I will be heading that way on Sept 21 to try my luck...I'll look out for that red rod of yours.

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.