Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I see references to both types of wings and can picture them in my mind (I think?). What I'm having trouble grasping is why you would choose one type of wing over the other? And is there a decent reference in the literature that might cover this topic?
To me (just to me) the mixed wings seem like what I might want to tie to fish, and the built to display since many wings seem to get shredded apart after fishing anyway.
Appreciate any feedback?

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/the salmon flyer/salflyer/vol_6/spring/mounting.html

this article sheds a bit of light on some technicalities.

Heres my limited experience:

If you were to tie both, then fish both, you would find out that they behave different in the water. The mixer tends to have a different profile, a bit more full and bushy, not in a single plane. Built wings are more similar to married wings. The components are tied on in strips gradually higher on the hook, and it forms something a bit more like a married wing which tends to plane through the water a bit differently than a mixed wing. The thing is, you can even mix those 2 techniques. You can build your wing, then brush out the tips to form something like a mixed wing. You could go a step further, build your wing, then pull the fibres apart and mix them, then brush them. This is a great way to do a fishing wing and make sure your wing is durable too! Jin does a couple sbs on the site like this style.

It can all be very confusing, and to make matters worse, if speaking english, it was a different english than what we are used to. Plus each "authority" had slightly different takes, so Kelson is different than Murdoch is different than Hale etc etc.

Just play around and have fun. Go the the classic fly tying forum and check out flies there. some of those guys are scholars and argue nuances of these different techniques.

hope this helps more than clouds ;)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your note. I need time to digest all this. And I thought built wings were married wings. More confusion. I will review Lucas and read my books again. Hopefully things will become clear. I find it very interesting that you said the flies swim differently. Really interesting. Do you prefer one style over the others (for fishing)?

·
Registered
96 Posts
one thing to keep in mind, whether built, married or mixed they all would have been pined (meaning broken up) prior to fishing. For many of the built wings, some of the softer, shorter materials would be placed out side the main wing as opposed to being "in the wing". Try marring grey mallard to gp tail or green parrot long enough for a 6/0. Hale has a descriptions on wing

https://archive.org/details/howtotiesalmonf00halegoog

1 - 4 of 4 Posts