Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fine tuning my loops for heads and leader connections but have run into some problems.

I found juro's instruction:

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/expertise/steelhead/lines/tipsystem.htm

I like this method, but my biggest problem is stripping the outer coating off the line. On T-14 I have no problem, the coating comes off and I'm left with the mono core. On rio tips, which appear to have a braided core, I've had more problems.

I'm trying to avoid the nail polish trick.

I tried wire strippers but they all seem to large to strip the type 6 and 8 tips.

On the T-14 I've built some nice loops and really like the technique.

Any advice out there ?

Gillie

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Check out the video put up of Brian Simonseths method. Basically take 12lb maxima and loop it over the fly line. Do an overhand knot and tighten it over the core as hard as you can so it cuts through the line down to the core. Then grab both tags ends of the mono and yank them with a pair of pliers. This should strip the core right off.

Another trick shown to me by Dennis Worley is to do the overhand knot thing and then take a Tie-Fast nail knot tool and take the forked end and wedge the fly line right behind the overhead knot into it. Then pull down and the overhead knot should strip the line right off. Handy method that works quite well.

Even Brian though uses nail polish remover to prep the line. He uses a product like this which is basically a sponge saturated with remover. This way it is easier to shove the fly lines into the sponge. This is a clean and easy way to do it.

http://www.ulta.com/control/product/~product_id=1782607

Hope that helps,

-sean

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,913 Posts
spiderwire or any of the gel-spun products seem to work better for stripping line than mono. You can also heat the lines outer core with a lighter to make stripping easier but this easier to do with floaters than sinkers, especially if they have a mono core.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peter,

Can you put up some additional pics ? I'd like to see how you are creating a self tightening system.

I have had difficulties with the T-14 loops and I think it's simiair to what you are talking about with the running line. Since the core on the T-14 is mono it slips with enough pressure. The rio tips are holding up better because the sore isn't as slick.

If anyone else has loop tips please share.

Gillie

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
If you want I'll post my method?

It's on a CD, I'll look for it tomorrow

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Go Brian

I much prefer your method, and I don't think you, I or others using it have lost a loop, I know I have not had one break.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts