Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Great board you have here. Nice folks.
I have the spey itch and am planning on building up my first spey rod or rods. For this, I need some recommendations for the first one or two.
I am in Iowa (yeah, I know, not exactly a steelie/salmon paradise) but travel frequently.
Maybe a couple different weights and/or sizes?
Also, these will be rods for me to learn on, so keep that in mind on recommendations.
Thanks in advance!
Dewey

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Hey Dewey

Welcome. Folks are going to need to know where you are going to travel to and what you are going to fish for in order to give you more specifics on the weight and length of rods that would best meet your needs.

For example a 7/8 and 9/10 will meet most needs, but if smaller half pound fish are regularly on the menu the 7/8 might be overkill and a 6/7 might be nice instead. Same for the big stick. A 9 weight at 14 feet might be perfect, but bigger fish and longer casts might necessitate some 16+ foot thunderstick.

You certainly have my respect. Anyone who has the guts to tackle the cork needed on a spey rod is a better/braver rod builder than me! But I fear no three weight with pre-glued and shaped grip!:chuckle:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Great answer PhilMeister. ...

I might toss in to the mix. As this/these will be your first rods you should hit a 'Clave and test drive some rods (and get some one and one instruction) before you 'build' a 'first rod.'

Where do you travel to? Probably a lot of Board members who would be most pleased to take you out and let you 'play with' their stuff.

If you hit So. Oregon ... you'll have (between JD and myself) about 16-17 rods to get with the program.

fae

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Travel info

Hi all,
Thanks for the info thus far.
I am fortunate (or cursed) that I travel all over the US. So in the realm of possibility is the NW, moutnain states out west, great lakes areas, and even some surf action form time to time.
While I realize that no one or two sticks will probably handle all of the above, I thought that perhaps a 6/7 and maybe a 9/10 or so might get me going. (????)
As to sanding cork for the spey grip, I love fooling around on the lathe with grips and reel seats and have some mandrels that should get a workout on this.:)
Thanks in advance for the advice and the welcome!
Dewey

PS: for a tutorial I have orderd Derek Browns Spey Video for a start. Any others you folks would recommend?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Best Spey Casting Video

You have one of the two best. The other is Rio's International Spey Casting.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Deweywh,

These two line wts are excellent choices for a pair of 2-handers. The 6/7 could be used for trout and smallmouth, the 9/10 for anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts