Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id like to try scandi spey casting my single hand 81/2 ' 7wt rod. Mainly will be using it on smaller streams on a dry line. I have several 8, 9 and one 10 WF floating lines that I can cut. I understand that one should normally up line 2-3 sizes which would look like the 9 or 10 line may be my best choice. The first 30' of the 9 weighs 240 gr and the 10 weighs 280.

To try and use one of these for spey casting, would it be best for me to cut at 30' and reverse the head (which would put the "mass in the a$$" as they say) and then loop or weld to a running line, or is it possible to just use it as is? A 30' head is probably max for this rod length.

Unfortunately we're still into winter here and I can't try anything out at present but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

If none of this seems plausible, what lines would you recommend for spey casting on a SH rod?

Thanks for any help.

·
bow river ninja
220 Posts
better yet try to get your hands on some of the light weight scandis! airflo 260&290 can cast well on some heavier sticks depending on action of the rod and your preference.

if your looking to play just play!! cut off the 10wt head and trim some using s grain scale to see where you roughly think you will be five it a quick session on the water and go from there! i wouldn't say you halfto reverse the head you cut unless the taper seems to be front end loaded in the line your choosing to chop up. I pack the digital scale around always when I'm getting out with a soon to be custom cut head single or double handed!! loop and others have single handed custom lines also, many you can find cheap on eBay!!

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
I just did what was described for my 9'6" 7 wt rod.

I took a WF8 line, cut the front taper back quite a bit (to shorten the rear taper on the finished head) and welded a loop. Then I found .050 in the rear taper (soon to be front) and welded another loop after cutting the running line free. Now I have a head which goes a little more than 200 gr and I can put polys or trout-type sinktips on it, and it's short enough for spey technique.

AFTMA weight for overhead casting a 7 is 185, and a little extra weight with weight distributed to the rear of the head helps with spey casting the sh rod.

...or, you know, you could just buy an Ambush. But noooo, I can't do the easy thing.:roll:

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,079 Posts
There are several lines that work well for SH Spey Casts

The Ambush, already mentioned, is one. The Vision Vibe 65, 85, or 125 is another group that I had good look with. The Airflo 40+ is 35' head that weighs in with enough weight to make spey casts work.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I don't believe in up-linnig in order to speycast with a single-hander - especially for dry-line work. And if you have a line that works well with that rod, 6/7 WF of a length that you can manage, i'd recommend IT or an Ambush 6/7. That is not to say you "shouldn't experiment with cutting and splicing" either...

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
have you just tried casting one of those lines as is - if a scandi you want that forward taper up front so you would not turn it around. The Wulff TT lines are pretty nice spey casting lines. If they work ok then you could cut to the length you want and do some minor tweaks to dial it in

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only line I've cast on this rod is a WF floating #7 OH line which will roll cast ok with the 30' head but I am trying to get a shorter head for limited back room on smaller streams. It sounds, according to several posts, that the Ambush is a good choice. One question I have is this is not a fast action rod(call it medium) and the Ambush(from what I read) is more suited to modern fast action rods. Would I be better to go down a size i.e. the 6wt for my 7wt SH rod or stick with the 7wt(if I go this route)?
On the other hand, as I stated in my original post, I do have some lines that I can slice and try to come up with something. At least I should end up with a decent length and weight and then I would know what combination will most likely be best(hopefully)........ yes, I do have a scale and welding capabilities.

Many thanks to all the posters so far and look forward to any more who wish to contribute.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
As I mentioned the TT lines spey cast very well allowing casts of well over 70 feet and this is a line that is not upsized from the single hand rod weight. I would first try one of your weight forwards - maybe just try the 8 and the 9 and if these do ok but seem heavy then perhaps you could cut them back to a shorter line - if you want an even shorter line check out your 10 WF and maybe cut that back to 20 feet or so.

I do not know what the taper is like on the Wulff Ambush but if you are looking for floating scandi casting and not throwing heavier flies this line may not be the right choice as the literature says it easily throws heavy stuff

·
Registered
184 Posts
"One question I have is this is not a fast action rod(call it medium) and the Ambush(from what I read) is more suited to modern fast action rods. Would I be better to go down a size i.e. the 6wt for my 7wt SH rod or stick with the 7wt(if I go this route)?"

I use Ambush lines for this type of fishing with fiberglass rods - so slowwww rods, and I find, e.g., a 7 weight ambush is great on a 7 weight glass rod. You may have a different experience .....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts