Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased, used, a 15ft Bruce and Walker, Powerlite Speycaster (Ghillie). Had a chance to try it prior to purchase. Much softer action than my Sage 9141, but one heck of a rod. Anyone else have experience with B/W?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Bruce and Walker softer than a Sage ............when?
The B&W 15ft Powerlite is a cracking rod , just add a Carron 75ft and you will be smokin

I have at least 8 other B&Ws

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have used Bruce & Walker salmon rods for the past 20 odd years. My favourite is the Powerlite Speycaster #11. Great for windy days - it doesn't feel like it is going to break like some other rods. These rods have stamina. I have tried various other rods, many much more expensive but none are a match for this one. Pity it's not a four piece.

Regards,

Clobemonman.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Like Willie and 'C-mon' above, I've had the pleasure of using a few B&W's over the years. Only one I didn't like (probably my problem, not the rods) was the 10/11# - 18 footer I purchased.

FAR too much rod for Freddie to swing!!:eek:

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
B&W Norway..

I now have this 15' #10wt 4pc. rod, only after river testing one of a fishing buddy of mine.

Awesome power for casting Scandi heads, as well as Rio WC with tips. I think this may become my 1st choice rod for the bigger waters & bigger fish.

Can't wait to test it out on the Skeena in April.

Mike

·
Registered
267 Posts
Do any of you B&W lovers know when they stopped building rods with a "Bruce" or "Walker" designation. I believe it was to differentiate rods designed for spey casting versus overhead casting? I've a B&W which is a "Walker" flex rating from about 20 years ago.

Thanks for any historical help you may have!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Both of my 15-foot, 3-piece B & W's are among the slowest graphite rods I've ever tried. One is a Ghillie for 5/6/7 lines; the other is a "Bruce" for 9/10 lines. Both, with their sliding ring reel seats, are scale-light but tip-heavy. I had hopes for the Ghillie as a dry line rod, but it feels as heavy in the hand as a typical 9 or 10-weight rod.

I'd like to learn more about B & W rods, how the different series relate as to action and fittings.

·
Registered
886 Posts
The Walkers were very much faster than the Bruces.
The modern B&W are very different animals from these early rods, I am not sure when the names changed but it was probably around the time America was "inventing" speycasting.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
The Walkers were very much faster than the Bruces.
The modern B&W are very different animals from these early rods, I am not sure when the names changed but it was probably around the time America was "inventing" speycasting.
No doubt it was a response to the fact us simple colonists figuring out a rod did not have to weigh 10 pounds and take 5 years to unload on the forward cast.

-sean

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
10lbs?...

No doubt it was a response to the fact us simple colonists figuring out a rod did not have to weigh 10 pounds and take 5 years to unload on the forward cast.

-sean

Is that with, or without the kilt?:Eyecrazy: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Mike

·
topeti
17 Posts
Both of my 15-foot, 3-piece B & W's are among the slowest graphite rods I've ever tried. One is a Ghillie for 5/6/7 lines; the other is a "Bruce" for 9/10 lines. Both, with their sliding ring reel seats, are scale-light but tip-heavy. I had hopes for the Ghillie as a dry line rod, but it feels as heavy in the hand as a typical 9 or 10-weight rod.

I'd like to learn more about B & W rods, how the different series relate as to action and fittings.
I got my B&W Merlin XP 15 ft - 3 piece for 10/11/12 lines in 1991. This one has also a very slow graphite and the flex goes right down to my feet. It handles short and longbelly lines very well,also with big flies. I use my B&W in big Norwegians salmon rivers when waterlevel is high and chance for drilling big atlantic salmon. And best of all, my B&W is solid and almost unbrakeable, though heavy, but my best rod for big waters.

·
Registered
886 Posts

-sean

That would be when the colonials rod making company named after a herb produced rods that weighed so little they broke on an almost daily basis.

But there you go it is certainly an improvement than the 9ft rods the colonials brought to the Spey on their tree climbing holidays.
Gillie to American guest in the late 70s "Are you here to fish or just climb every tree on the beat?"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts