Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bruce and Walker don't seem to be mentioned too much in these forums, especially the ones which are US led. The B&W Norway seems to be a very well respected rod in Scotland, whats the difference between it and the Powerlite Spey? RRP says its about £130 more, is it worth it?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
One reason why you don't see much on these forums about B&W rods is that they are hard to get over here. From my end, in order to review them I have to get my hands on them, and unless someone arrives on a trip with a tube full of rods it is difficult. Some rodmakers still don't recognize the benefit of the internet!

·
Registered
106 Posts
And in Ireland !

I do 90% of my fishing with a B&W in hand. My favourite is the 15` 9/10 Norway, a rod that will please the most discerning caster.
I even have the B&W 17`11" 10/11 (4 piece), now that`s a monster ! :devil:
Robin, sorry I can`t tell you more about the Powerlite, but what I can say is, that you`ll love the Norway.
Cascade.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I bought the 13´ Norway and it is a wonderful summer rod. However, I had B&W add the Powerlite style reel seat, handle profile (smooth, nice taper, great cork) and butt cap. Well worth the modest extra charge.

I´m too interested in the 15´ 9/10 Norway for big summer rivers using floaters, since it´s lighter and somewhat faster than my B&W Kola. The latter rod is however a cracking sunk line rod, either with full sinkers or shooting heads.

Get in touch with B&W. they are extremely helpful and fiendly!

One thing that´s worth mentioning though (and Malcolm "Willie Gunn" will tell you this as well): B&W:s work best with lines leaning to the heavy side. The tops are stiffer than most other rods so you´ll need to get the mid section into the action in order to get nice smooth casting. In fact, for close distance and up to about 30 yards I use the 10/11 Ian Gordon on the 13´ Norway, which is rated 7/9 but really an 8/9 I feel. For longer distances the 9/10 IG is a good choice (but one wouldn´t use a 13´ for those distances anyhow).

·
Registered
618 Posts
bruce and walker rods

Like a lot of rod makers they promote there rods on rivers, by giving rods to the ghillie's, this was true of bruce and walker, when Ken Walker was running the company.
Things have changed a little since then, but some of the ghillie's still use them, i could go to a ghillie's meeting and find out what is the most common rod used by all the ghillie's on the Spey , i think that it will be 15ft and made in the UK, but if anyone would be interested i can ask all kind of questions.
A double handed rod is a work tool for them all, and they all get to try out plenty of rods from all over the world, that there guests bring.
And i am sure they will give an honest opinion, and tell me what they think good or bad.
This is not to take anything away from Bruce and Walker, who have make some great rods.
Gordon. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Gordan
Out of curiosity what rod or rods are you using on the spey? Yes, it would be interesting to know what the most common rod used by the spey guillies is, maybe at the next meeting you could ask them.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Bruce &Walker

Hi Highlander,
I will ask at the next meeting, most of the guys are really busy right now, its about the busiest time of year on the Spey. Some big fish this year, one guest on Castle Grant beat 2 had a 25lb salmon then one at around 41lb.
I will ask a few different questions, including the best rod and the worsed, some of the ghillie's had a hand in the development of some rods made by Bruce & Walker,
and i am sure it will be a UK rod company, as they have been making these rods for so long, not just jumping on the band wagon, and for some its only rods they make, so getting it right is important , if they want to stay in business.
As for me i fish Clan Rods, i am lucky to have Harry at Clan so close that i can go and speak to him, and try out different rods, He has been making hand built rods on the Spey for ever , and knows everything about rod building.
So i go to his workshop and see him doing new rods, repairing other rods, from split cane to carbon.
After all when you spend all your live, making and repairing fishing rods you must know a thing or two .
Gordon in the (highlands). :chuckle:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts