Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I need a little help. I have a chance to pick up a new Bruce & Walker Expert 15' 9-10wt. for about the price of a St. Croix. Question is, is it worth picking up? Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
886 Posts
What age ?

Or if you prefer what colour is it? If it is a newer one they are good. I seldom fish anything else

Malcolm

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Naw. bad deal, but tell me where...

I would think that any time you can pickc up a name brand rod for the price of a St. Croix, you could not go too wrong. You may want to check out Bruce & Walker's website.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Colour

The older ones are grey(ish) and the newer ones brown like the powerlites.

Malcolm

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Powerlites

I was just on their website and did not see the "Expert" listed anywhere. Is the Expert an older model? What is the difference between the older and newer models?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yes the Experts were pre-Powerlite. They were very nice in those days and I still have a 15' 9/10 but after using the newer Powerlites & Doublespeys I find it slow and heavy. I was surprised to see Lambchop being offered a new one.

Malcolm

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a closeout but brand new so I assume under warranty. But would I possibly do better with a Norway 10wt for the same cost? I have a Scott G1409 which I wouldn't part with so I know I like tradtional action How do they compare?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
LC, no info on the rods; Willie's your "go to guy" on that but

just wanted to welcome you to the Board. Where 'bouts' in Southern Sweden?
fae

·
Registered
886 Posts
Lambchop.
I've never handled a Scott but the Norways are great rods. The gillie on the Spey reckons it is nicer than my Doublespey. Give the factory an "E" [email protected] they will happily tell you when they last made "Experts" I would go for a Norway they are a little fast but a lovely action.

Malcolm

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Lambchop,

I just purchased a B&W Kola 15'3" rod. It came with two tips, one 9/10 and a 11. I love the rod. It casts the SA XLT 8/9 line like a dream. I have tried a Mid Spey 10/11 with sinktips using the 11 tip and I think it was a little over lined. I am going to try some other lines and maybe a Loop Adapta system to see how they work. The Kola is a little more money than the Norway but the two tips help offset the cost. I don't know how the Kola compares to the Expert.

Rich

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I tried one of Speybum's demo B&W 15' 9/10 Norway Speycasters (charcoal shaft, Fuji reel seat) at the Carnation Clave Jan. 25. I thought it excellent, with a user-friendly medium-slow action.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I've found the B & W folks to be most responsive to

Willie Gunn said:
Lambchop.
I've never handled a Scott but the Norways are great rods. The gillie on the Spey reckons it is nicer than my Doublespey. Give the factory an "E" [email protected] they will happily tell you when they last made "Experts" I would go for a Norway they are a little fast but a lovely action.

Malcolm
e mail requests for info. Was funny when I on a 'instent messanger' back and forth with one of their female staff and Willie Gunn called them on the telephone and told them to expect a call, and to "take care of" a friend in the States. About 15 minutes later my B and W was in a shipping carton headded across the Pond. And at a VERY good price.
fae

·
Registered
14 Posts
..and what about the single-handed B&W's

Has anyone fished their singlehanded rods and what did you think of it ?

thanks
Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bruce & Walker Rods

Just to say we are offering up to 30% off Bruce & Walker fly rods at the minute. It now makes these rods even better value. Check out our web site at [web address deleted by admin]. We are based in the UK but can ship worldwide.

Tight Lines
William

[1]Edited by admin[/1]

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
:tsk_tsk:

William, surely as a retailer you've had a look at our policy regarding unpaid ads? Your post above is not unlike one of your competitors sticking a big ad banner up on your window.

Anyways, I'm presuming we'll hear from you shortly regarding how you can support our site with a paid ad!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Three years ago I inherited a 13.5 ft B&W hexagraph from my Uncle. It's a rather odd looking rod, and although I've enjoyed using it, found spey casting somewhat difficult with it; it almost seems better set up for overhand casting. Anyone else familiar with these, and have any tips on lines etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts