Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a old 13' 7-10# Powerlite Bruce & Walker Spey Rod. It is a dark green rod with burgundy wraps. This Rod is a 9.5 out of a ten. If the handle didn't show any coloration I would call it a 10/10! The guy I bought it from is from England and he was the original owner. He never fished this rod, as it was to short. All he did was try casting it, then it sat in a closet until I purchased it this past fall. I too have tried casting it and found I like my GLX better.

$375obo or will to trade for Hardy reel.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Powerlite rods were made in two versions, either a "Bruce" or a "Walker". I have a 12' Walker Powerlite #7-9 and it is a very good rod made about 15 years ago.

Paul

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Good to know Paul. I'm aware of the rod you have as it says Walker "Powerlite" on it.

Did the Bruce models not have the "Powerlite" written on the blank as well? Wondering if this Bruce model is before the "Powerlite" naming convention?

Powerlite rods were made in two versions, either a "Bruce" or a "Walker". I have a 12' Walker Powerlite #7-9 and it is a very good rod made about 15 years ago.

Paul

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
I don't think this is a Powerlite model.

It looks like one of the older Bruce Carbon rods, I used to have a 15 footer & a friend still has the same 13 foot version as this.

These were from the same series as the original 15 ft Walker model - which was pretty much the default setting for a salmon rod in the UK in the mid to late 80's & early 90's. I learnt to speycast with one of these when I did the 2 day course with Hugh Falkus & don't think you need a latest generation ultra tippy rod to throw arrow tight loops - because he could do them from any position, including sitting, with that 15 Walker.

The Bruce is a very through actioned rod, I never used one with a Skagit head - but it may be worth trying.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No, I agree, the Powerlites had the wording on them with Bruce or Walker written above.

Lovely rod in great condition though!

Paul

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. I wasn't aware it wasnt a powerlite. Finding history on BW is hard to come by. When I first started spey casting 10+ years ago my first rod was a Hardy Deluxe 15'. My buddy had what he called a powerlite. My memory of my buddy's spey rod was it looked exactly like this rod. So I called it a powerlite. Funny I remember liking both rods a lot, and when I got this one it was exactly how I remember my buddy's was. If it doesn't sell I won't be upset. But the list of fishing stuff I need(want)isn't getting any smaller. So something has got to go. My lost someone else's gain.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes you have a great rod there. I sometimes think B&W are more appreciated in US than here in UK!

Someone should buy it as it is great value and apart from anything else has that beautiful all cork handle with sliding ring. :)

Paul

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
I like those handles, no need to file vintage reel seats down as any size will fit, if when the reel is secured you put a couple of turns of electrical tape over the top end of the sliding ring & onto the cork it locks everything in position & there is no chance of the reel coming loose when in use.

Also on a cold day they don't get stuck when it's time to pack up & they are more comfortable in use if your fingers are in contact as the cork is much more pleasant to the touch than an aluminium fitting when temperatures are below freezing.

I would like all my rods to have these, perhaps a modern upgraded version with a grippy liner to the sliding ring & a strong composite cork used for this section?

Don't forget to tape the ferrules when in use.

Regards, Tyke.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Bruce

Hello,

Lovely rod indeed !

If you bought it from Ebay about 6 months ago, then i think it's my old rod which was "new" never used.

I think model is Bruce & Walker Bruce Salmon.
I don't know much about those bruce & walker rods but i think "Walker" was more fastern than the "bruce".

teemu

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did buy it about 6 months ago and yes it definitely is new. It's a really nice rod, let me know if anyone is interested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts