Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like fishing short rods....

I like fishing long rods...

I spend 9 days on the CW with my 15' powerlite and nextcast 70' fall fav. and thought "why would you want to fish anything else?" On the drive home my buddy asked me, "i bet your not looking as forward to that 12'4 coming as you were before?" I had to admit he was right...I had been really excited about the 12'4 but the 15' is such an amazing tool that if at the time Gene would have let me I probably would have traded it for a longer one...

I got home and the 12'4 arrived...I had only had a one day window to try the rod before and had found a line that worked quite well...The 45' 8/9 nextcast....so that's what i put on her for her maiden trip out...My first time out with the test rod I hooked a S river summer run steelhead..first time i'd even seen one of those...was an amazing fish..good mojo and super fun rod...

This time-

To be honest I wasn't as excited as I have been before...it was pissing rain out and there was lighting and thunder so i had to stop and run for the truck.. the 12'4 was a rod that I thought would be a good winter "bush" rod for the dirty stuff and a good summer rod on smaller tribs with big fish...

The S river I was on was starting to blow....was up quite a bit and the bar at the top was starting to vanish...That was OK i just wanted to cast it a bit and make sure I had some lines to use...

That stupid rod!!! It thinks it's a 15'r....it casts better then most of my 13-13'6 rods...very light in hand...very powerful...I put on a type 8 tip and the largest fly i had on me...a 3" tube..and it was bombing it no problem...I stopped stripping line and seeing how far i could cast, (50' or running line out no problem) and swung the fly down into where i knew a bucket was, hoping a big bull might be down there. My fly just got crushed...great fight and in comes a nice northern coho...WOW...sure wasn't expecting that!!!

Got home, scratched my head and told Gene..."This rod IS what i thought the first time i tried it...the best short rod I have owned or cast"...

Since I've been home the summer of low water, no rain and warm clear rivers has been replaced with a constant deluge of heavy rain....the bar i went to that first day is gone and won't be back till next summer...the rivers are mud for the most part and damn near impossible to fish....but it was my day off Sat.and i wanted to mess with the 12'4 again..

I drove into a couple spots on the lower river and it was out...drove way up river and it was clear but the water was in the bushes and moving fast....damnit!!! I drove back down just jonesing to get out and cast and went to one of my practice more then anything spots...was slow water with a foot and half of vis. but i could at least mess with some lines.and reels as i haven't decided which one I want to put on this rod..

I tried one of the nextcast 15' type 4 tips and a big huge (for me) fly...I was thinking about worse case scenario weather or water wise and trying tips and flies more for cold and/or winter fish....a few casts in my fly just got crushed....I thought maybe i had hit the jack pot and found an extremely early winter steel? Amazing fight and in comes another northern coho....
I never hook these guys, let alone on the swing, let alone on big nasty flies and not stripping...hell let alone, let alone!!!

Besides the nextcast I am debating on (god forbid) a skagit type line for the real heavy work...I tried lawn casting a 570gr. chucker line on there with T10 and the heaviest fly i had....it was pretty ridiculous, damn rod likes to bomb whatever line i put on there..Might be a good choice for the nasty stuff?

Everyone has their favorite company, buddy, their this their that...but if you get the chance or are in the market for a serious rod...check these out!! You can find all the info on their U.S. Bruce and walker website and Gene is a great guy to deal with!!!

Attachments

·
Undertaker
1,325 Posts
coho on the swing?

Dude, that's not a fly rod, its a magic wand. Be aware, even into November there are sometimes some bright Chinook in that thar S river. I suspect you'll hook one on that B&W bad boy. Nice write-up.:cool:

·
Registered
241 Posts
I already ordered my 12 4 powerlite from Gene I wanted a shorter rod that could handle tips. He told me he was going to try the winter authority 35 and 45 to see which one he liked better on it cant wait to receive. It sounds like I made the right choice for handling tips.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I already ordered my 12 4 powerlite from Gene I wanted a shorter rod that could handle tips. He told me he was going to try the winter authority 35 and 45 to see which one he liked better on it cant wait to receive. It sounds like I made the right choice for handling tips.
the 35' isn't heavy enough...I believe the heaviest one is 450...the number system on those is whacked..so don't go off that..IF the 35' w.a. was heavy enough your head would be around 25' so skagity all the same...

The 40' @ 600gr is actually 43'....the 45' @ 640gr. is at 46 or 47'....

I found with the 45' 8/9 and tips cut to 12-13' it will handle most of what i fish..
as it's mainly wading out ankle deep or such without major foilage behind you...

What got me onto trying a shorter line is I was fishing it on a smaller flow where your up on the bank and there is bushes etc around...Better casters can control their D loops, but I was hooking those bastard bushes and tripped and crushed my knee and a guide on this rod ( I did a ham and egg repair job on it) My B&W switch with the chucker line was easy peasy so thought i'd try that..also as I said before the integrated line is good for winter fishing..

I am trying the 9 wt chucker which is 570gr with a 25' head to see what its like with T10 Plus tips and big weighted flies...But will also use it with lighter tips and flies...I haven't had it on the water but on grass it cast damn near the whole line...

The versatility of these rods with lines is pretty amazing...Talking with another guy who has this rod...he likes lines I thought were very light...and thinks my lines are way heavy...He likes the 540 skagit and the 6/7 or 7/8 nextcast....I tried the 7/8 nextcast and thought it was ok but the 8/9 just flew off there..so that's my choice...

I think you'll be very happy with this rod shoon...it's a keeper!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thanks golfman I have the 45 wa 8 9 for my 14 6 walker I guess I can guess i can use the same line on 12 4 powerlite. that 14 6 picks up a tip like you have a floater on. I wanted the same power from a shorter rod that I can fish out of a canoe for atlantics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts