Spey Pages banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some difficulty tying these wings. Any hints? Is it best to tie them in one at a time or together? I am using uni-thread. Is this waxed? I heard waxed is not as good as non-waxed. It is kind of frustrating tying a great fly and then buggering the wing. I could go hackle tip, but it doesn't look as nice.

Thanks

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
Storm,

Search the archives and I think you will find some helpful info. These were always a problem for me until I got a tip from Flytyer to make sure the tie down point is back in the grey portion of the feather. If it is out in the darker bronzed portion, it will not cinch down without buggering the wing.

'tip

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Persoanlly

I tie them in one at a time.

In Sheweys book he shows several ways all of which work for some folks.

The best way to make it hard it to use too small a feather with too much curve in it.

There are some step by step instructions in the Northwest Spry Patterns section on my web site.
www.irishangler.com

Feel free to call or email for more detailed help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
sinktip said:
Storm,

Search the archives and I think you will find some helpful info. These were always a problem for me until I got a tip from Flytyer to make sure the tie down point is back in the grey portion of the feather. If it is out in the darker bronzed portion, it will not cinch down without buggering the wing.

'tip
Bob Veverka (Flytyer?) offers this same advice in his recent book "Spey flies, How to Tie Them"

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Also you can cheat and cut bigger slips for each side and overlap them about a 1/4 an inch or so. Still looks great and much easier to get them to settle in. For me this makes the whole process much quicker and easier.

-sean

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Being selective and using the right feather + it's equal and opposite are also key. One feather will come out perfect while another will give you fits.

The curvature, length of barbules and as mentioned tie-in point relative to fly size are all key to getting the proper tent.

They should match as the inside edges of your index fingers match when you put your two hands together, as if you had long fingers that feather to a gentle point.

Gorgeous once mastered, and what surprises me most is how they look good even when fished hard.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If tying a spey-style wing, set low and tied round the upper quadrant of the hook, I find it much better to tie them in one by one. Also, reverse the thread so that each wing is tied in with an upward pull - this helps to stop them splitting.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
dsteady,

Thanks for the compliment; but I am not Bob Veverka and I have not written a book on flies yet.

storm,

I wrote a step-by-step instruction on how to tie in mallard spey wings for the speypages community. Do a search for mallard wings or spey wings and you will be able to find it. Follow the steps and you will be able to get your mallard wings to set and look right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts